Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have just had a really nice shave with my 5/8 Magnetic Platypus. I lathered the Mike's to see how easy or hard it was to lather and I found it very easy to get a very rich smooth lather. Very nice soap. I used a white horse brush by Vie Long in my scuttle. I managed 2 passes without any nick or cuts and ended up with a DFS. I could have gone a 3rd pass but as I'm learning angle and pressure with the cut throat I felt it best to save face for another day.
Under the nose is still a bit of a fright and flight experience but each time is better than the last.

Steve

Under the nose is still a bit of a fright and flight experience but each time is better than the last.
That's exactly how to describe learning to shave with a straight razor. [emoji106]

WI04wwn.png

Brush: Vintage Hand Turned Catalin (Butterscotch)Badger
Soap/Cream: Vintage Wembdon Lavender soap
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

An all vintage shave but the aftershave...
Picked up the brush (with a crack) for a song. After a good cleaning I used it today and will probably re-knot it in good time. A nice sized handle.
The vintage soap is a solid performer with little-to-no scent. Also picked it up cheaply as I wanted to see what it was like. I might add a few drops of Lavender EO on top and let sit overnight to enhance the scent.
The Eclipse? Well, it's an impeccable DE razor. Unbelievably excellent.
And a top finish to boot with the Mediterranean-Spring-in-a-bottle.

WI04wwn.png

Brush: Vintage Hand Turned Catalin (Butterscotch)Badger
Soap/Cream: Vintage Wembdon Lavender soap
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

An all vintage shave but the aftershave...
Picked up the brush (with a crack) for a song. After a good cleaning I used it today and will probably re-knot it in good time. A nice sized handle.
The vintage soap is a solid performer with little-to-no scent. Also picked it up cheaply as I wanted to see what it was like. I might add a few drops of Lavender EO on top and let sit overnight to enhance the scent.
The Eclipse? Well, it's an impeccable DE razor. Unbelievably excellent.
And a top finish to boot with the Mediterranean-Spring-in-a-bottle.

Great looking shave. Gotta say you kept that other butterscotch under your hat mate. Hmmm....

Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke, Yamashita & Benkei
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Aftershave: Proraso Green

The soap is just as brilliant as I imagined it would be. Cheers @alfredus for hooking me up (and getting me started on the Mike's bandwagon in the first place)!

I was so keen to check out the results of my honing handiwork that I simply had to shave with all three kamis. All were sharp but I'm most excited that all felt smooth as well. Perfect? No, but encouraging progress.

Sunday 25 October 2015

216583d1445776528-sun-october-25th-sat-october31th-sotd-25102015.jpg

Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point

The straight razor was superb, but I cannot say the same for the soap. It is now quite a long time this Meißner Tremonia soap is in my rotation and - in my opinion - it does not provide enough cushion and slickness for a straight razor. After two disappointing passes, I had to take the first soap I had at hand - and it happened to be Cella - and do the third pass with that. On the good side, I have to tell I love Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave, an absolutely amazing fragrance and very very pleasing to smell with an impressive persistence and finish. As for my Mastro Livi "Grifone", well, I guess I said quite a lot about this superlative straight razor, just another proof this magnificent Italian craftsman and artist makes impeccable and excellent shavers. Super smooth and sharp, it shaves like a caressing and velvety breeze. Simply amazing!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Meißner Tremonia Himalayan Heights
  • Soap: Cella
  • Brush: Omega "Bandiera Italiana" 21762 - 27 mm Knot
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Inox "Grifone", 9/8 Full Hollow, Livi Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Yeeeowch! Looks like an allergic reaction to me, but at the same time it also has some hallmarks of not enough blade lubrication either. That said, I gave you an Alum bar, this is what it is for - taking away much of the redness and inflamation. I prefer not to rinse it off (just apply, leave 30 seconds and then pat dry with towel) but in this case I would rinse it off.

To test for any skin reactivity, I would lather up and apply it to the inside of your forearm. Leave for 5 minutes and rinse off. See what happens for a couple of days.

To be fair, in my testing I had some reactivity with it from ongoing use of the soap - not a single shave though. Took 3-4 uses for my face to start breaking out, and I have used the AS on it's own afterwards with no issue.
That is what's weird, I also have used the A/S with out issue.
I did get a nice dense shiny lather out of it without the foaming issue others have experienced.
Is one for the shave X-Files.
Oh and as for the Alum, how you use it is how I also use it, two passes in different directions, clean up the brush, razor and associated mess and then pat dry.

Just had a shaving chat with my father, after he tried Proraso Sandalwood. Unfortunately, he didn't liked it and said that it was burning his skin. I was like "How can it burn your face? It's enriched with shea butter and sandalwood oil" then remembered that he is used to Proraso Green with its cooling effect which probably just cover up the crappyness of his Fusion.

The straight razor was superb, but I cannot say the same for the soap. It is now quite a long time this Meißner Tremonia soap is in my rotation and - in my opinion - it does not provide enough cushion and slickness for a straight razor. After two disappointing passes, I had to take the first soap I had at hand - and it happened to be Cella - and do the third pass with that.

Soap: Meißner Tremonia Himalayan Heights
Shot down! Thanks for your thoughts on this soap's performance @razorguy. It confirms what I've heard elsewhere as well. It's a very expensive soap so would be disappointing to buy it and not find it adequate in its performance.

20151025_080556_zps5soomc46.jpg

SOTD Monday, October 26
Cold water shave
Preshave: Bloomwater
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Barbershop
Face lather
Razor: Dovo Inox 5/8

Should have stayed in bed. Did my prep - strop, bloom water on face etc, blade to face and … … ... tugging. A dull blade that I honed around 10 days ago. Grabbed the kami down ... ... ... tugging. Stopped and assessed. Looking in the mirror my error was obvious ... ... ... I really should have lather on my face. Lathered up and an excellent shave followed.

All good.

That is quite a rare shaving tool considering the availability of blades. How does it perform?
Not great. I've got about 25 blades and borrowed the razor from a forum member in the UK. Quite tuggy. I understand that they did a stropper for this razor as well. I've palm stropped the blade to give it another go.

Shot down! Thanks for your thoughts on this soap's performance @razorguy. It confirms what I've heard elsewhere as well. It's a very expensive soap so would be disappointing to buy it and not find it adequate in its performance.

It is just my opinion, of course, and it can also be others may find this soap a superior one. This is not what I can tell based on my own experience, though. I don't know whether this soap has been expressly created for DE razors or disposable razors - I do not use these type of razors, so I cannot tell - but with a straight razor, to me it seems it does not provide enough cushion and slickness. The fragrance department is quite good, maybe too strong and intense, but I understand this is also a matter of personal preference. The fragrance is however good but, in my opinion, too strong and it sometimes tends to interfere with the aftershave's fragrance.

Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke, Yamashita & Benkei
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender
Aftershave: Proraso Green

The soap is just as brilliant as I imagined it would be. Cheers @alfredus for hooking me up (and getting me started on the Mike's bandwagon in the first place)!

I was so keen to check out the results of my honing handiwork that I simply had to shave with all three kamis. All were sharp but I'm most excited that all felt smooth as well. Perfect? No, but encouraging progress.

I also meant to ask how you found using the loupe as an aid to your honing. The clarity and resolution was superb from looking at it yesterday.

I also meant to ask how you found using the loupe as an aid to your honing. The clarity and resolution was superb from looking at it yesterday.
It was very nice to use. Unfortunately, after the honing session my son dropped it from quite a height and I think it has been damaged. It still magnifies but seems a little blurry and has a smaller sweet spot. I need to do more testing this evening but I think he's scored himself an early Christmas present.

Status
Not open for further replies.