Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was very nice to use. Unfortunately, after the honing session my son dropped it from quite a height and I think it has been damaged. It still magnifies but seems a little blurry and has a smaller sweet spot. I need to do more testing this evening but I think he's scored himself an early Christmas present.
Is that how it works?
Say @khun_diddy, mind if I have a closer look at that razor collection of yours? ;)

3oGu4El.png

Brush: Shavemac #177
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Rhapsody
Razor: GEM Clog Prof SE
Blade: GEM [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C

Absolutely smooth.

Brush: Whipped Dog 24/46 silvertip
Lather: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore Firenze (thanks to Brendan for the sample)
Razor: JA Henckels Friodur 472
Aftershave: Thayers & Myrsol Emulsion

Arrived a few days ago now but first time shaving with my latest Solingen. "FUCK ME!", I know it's my first time with it, but this thing and my face. Oh yeah!!!!

Definitely my favourite piece of steel so far....thanks @Mark

Brush: Simpsons Tulip 1 Super
Razor: Gillette 58
Blade: English Wilky
Cream: Al's Goodfellas
A/S: GFT Skinfood

Really enjoying the Tulip brush. Looks a bit silly but very comfortable in hand and lathers up a storm.
The Al's shaving cream is going to take some getting used to. It needs a lot of water, more than most soaps, to get going and even then it's lacking a bit of slickness. But with that said, an effortless BBS has been achieved with no problems.

Spent a bit of time honing my Tanifuji Helman 1958 into a new and sharper self this afternoon and had a really good 2 pass shave. I'm enjoying the cut throat experience. Actually I could happily shave this way for a long time into the future. Well for as long as my hands are steady :)

Steve

It was very nice to use. Unfortunately, after the honing session my son dropped it from quite a height and I think it has been damaged. It still magnifies but seems a little blurry and has a smaller sweet spot. I need to do more testing this evening but I think he's scored himself an early Christmas present.

Ow!! Bring it along to our next meet up and remind me to bring some screwdrivers and possibly the elements are removable and have just been misaligned.

Thank you "a moderator" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what's weird, I also have used the A/S with out issue.
I did get a nice dense shiny lather out of it without the foaming issue others have experienced.
Is one for the shave X-Files.

Not at all. It's either a fragrance only in the soap, or an ingredient in the soap itself. Since I have had similar issues at times with some PAA soaps then it lends itself to the formula of the soap itself. A damn shame as there are some amazing scents in there but for me it just does not perform as well as other artisan products or even the major brands.

There has been a number of concerns over the years with some of the PAA soaps in terms of listed ingredients versus what goes in the tin. I am not anywhere near qualified to make any comment on that, however I would note that we have both had issues with this particular soap and I have another that isn't completely agreeable with me either. Obviously it works for some people.

Oh and as for the Alum, how you use it is how I also use it, two passes in different directions, clean up the brush, razor and associated mess and then pat dry.
If I want it to seal up any weepers, then it's like applying styptic (just alum with extra haemostatic ingredients) and then washing it off. Strange methods some people have.

Also good for controlling skin oils during the day.

If I want it to seal up any weepers, then it's like applying styptic (just alum with extra haemostatic ingredients) and then washing it off. Strange methods some people have.

Also good for controlling skin oils during the day.
Oh OK, I'm new to using alum. My routine has been cold water rinse, alum, clean brushes, etc (5 mins max), cold water rinse, Thayers, etc. You let it dry and leave it on all day? Isn't that super drying?

When I do use it, yes, I just pat it dry with a towel. Nothing on afterwards unless winter and then I might add a small amount of a light balm.

I have oily skin so the oil control it provides is welcome from now until April. That said, no wrong or right way, try & test different ways for yourself. All I am saying is that if you are trying to seal up the odd weeper with it and then wash off, you wash away the chemical controlling the weeper and it will start up again.

Pre-shave: Cetaphil Cleansing Bar & bloom water
Razor: Merkur 34c HD
Blade: Permasharp (first time ever using this blade)
Soap: Shaver Heaven Buttered Rum
Brush: Semogue 1800
Splash: Speick

So today was my first day using a PSS blade. No change to the rest of the routine to see what impact the blade had. Wow... Had a fantastic shave. It wasn't the closest I have done, but certainly one of the, if not the, most comfortable ever. That being said, it was at 7am this morning and only have a very light stubble now. The reviews of this blade seem to be spot on. Will see how it continues to perform over the course of this week :)

Monday evening
Razor: Slim
Blade: Permasharp (3)
Soap: Valobra
Brush: Zenith Best Badger
A/S: Pitralon
ASB: Gaia Organic ASB
That Dutch soap is great.
Which Pitralon?

20151027_064041_zpsrmad88bn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
SOTD Tuesday, October 27

Cold water shave
Pre-shave: Bloom water
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Soap: Johnny Good Sir TMBR
Face lather
Razor: Gold Monkey 6/8

My greatest regret in wet shaving is I began just prior to the demise of the Johnny Good Sir store and never had the opportunity to buy a JGS straight or purchase enough TMBR shave soap to last the the proverbial lifetime. The one tub I do have is due to the generosity of two forum members here. I packed the two tubs into one. There are better shaving soaps but none baet the JGS scent IMO.

The straight gives superb audio feedback and is an absolute pleasure to use. The blade is a bit loose now so come the weekend I will give the pin a gentle tap.

Another great start to the day.

20151027_080146 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: @Draco Noir preshave oil
Razor: Gillette Otto Roth OC
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Stirling Glacial Obsidian( courtesy @StueyB )
Post Shave: Loccitane BAVX followed by Pinaud Clubman
First use a Stirling soap and this is an excellent soap. Small amount in my bowl with a bloom for 5 minutes and then whipped up a beautiful thick creamy lather with a lovely slick sheen. The scent is a strong aniseed. There is also a strong menthol hit when you lather onto the face. It was still cooling my face 30 minutes after the shave. Three pass shave to a very smooth finish.

How long have you been using the Horse? Has it changed much from when you first got it? Have you treated it in any particular way?

Steve
Been using it for two weeks now with no change so far. It has a nice soft face feel with some backbone a very enjoyable brush to use. This brush has a softer feel than my Semogue boar. It was gifted from @Draco Noir so not sure how many uses it had before I got it but I certainly haven't treated it any different to any other brush I have. Soak it in hot water for ten minutes before use then squeeze out excess and load the heck out of the soap.(y)

How long have you been using the Horse? Has it changed much from when you first got it? Have you treated it in any particular way?

Steve

Been using it for two weeks now with no change so far. It has a nice soft face feel with some backbone a very enjoyable brush to use. This brush has a softer feel than my Semogue boar. It was gifted from @Draco Noir so not sure how many uses it had before I got it but I certainly haven't treated it any different to any other brush I have. Soak it in hot water for ten minutes before use then squeeze out excess and load the heck out of the soap.(y)

If I may answer this: this brush reached your shores just after the prickly break in period - so only joy and no hard work for you @Osman ;)

20151027_SOTDS_zps091kghav.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: IKON DLC Slant with long Bulldog handle
Blade: PolSilver SI (1)
Brush: Paladin TSN LE
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Well got MdC one out of the system as well - feared as much, but now I am certain: coconut soaps are not for my skin. Easy to lather, very slick, good cushion but (for me) poor post-shave - even after olive oil treatment...I guess it saves me a lot of cash :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And I also have to re-iterate, that @Anthony has a far superior vegan formulation IMO.

PolSilver go really well with the razor - as @Draco Noir already mentioned - maybe a bit to sharp for my baby skin, but still all in manageable territory. Very close shave - but my skin still feels way to dry :(

Brush: Simpsons Commodore X2
Lather: Le Pere Lucien Coconut Tau Ceti (thanks to @SydBJW for the sample)
Razor: JA Henckels Friodur 472
Aftershave: Thayers & Myrsol Emulsion

Decided to give my Puma another run this morning. Lined everything up and went through the usual pre-shave strop....noticed a little drag, kept stropping, then noticed the strop taking on some scratches, and then deeper the more I stropped. Not sure what happened near the toe but she's got a date with the stones. I wanted to take the Puma for a run to see how it compared to yesterday's shave with the 472. So thought I'd see if I could repeat yesterday's performance instead. Done. Easily! Oudone! The Henckels is absolutely 'king briliant....thanks again @Mark for uniting us mate.

And thanks again go out to @SydBJW . I love my LPL but never tried the Coconut Tau Ceti. Well this one's definitely on the MUST BUY list

Status
Not open for further replies.