Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want it you must jump on it FAST. It sold out in under an hour in most of the other stores it sold in. It's pricier than most other B&M soaps.
Hot tip: It'll be up by tonight. [emoji41]

I'd say the same here - I give it 45 minutes thus the heads up ;)

Not sure about the price in $AUD - could be a considerable investment based on the $USD price.

20160217_080642 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Top Seven emulsion
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Permasharp Super
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Truefitt and Hill Authentic No.10
Post Shave: Razorock Lime balm and Musgo Real Orange Amber AS
Two pass with a clean up. Couple of weepers my fault of course, these are a sharp blade. Apply the alum no worries and the result is excellent.

Pre: Occam's Lime
Brush: Butterscotch Simpson - Best
Blade: Polsiver Super Irridium
Razor: Murkur 34c
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Hazelnut Cuppachino
Scent: Brut33

Usual suspects with a couple of invitees. A new blade to try (hence why I'm keeping everything else the same) and a new brush.
Brush: Knot is good - this thing makes piles of lather very easily! The handle is a killer for me though. Didn't like it at all but that just goes to show because @Mark1966 quite liked this handle. It soaked up the soap easily and quickly requiring no extra water to be added except prior to the third pass. It's no hog either, lather was running down my hand.
Blade: This one surprised me greatly. Nice result, but I can't touch my face to enjoy it because its bloody uncomfortable to do so. It was touted as a "smooth feather". Well, maybe I got a bad one because it dragged a little ( I could tell from the first pass it wasn't going to end well) but the application of aftershave had my family running to my aid thinking I had tried a straight for the first time and screwed up badly. Now it is possible the lather was a little too wet, but even if it was it was only slightly. I don't think it could account for the scraping my face got. Maybe I got a bad blade?? I am loath to use the blade again tomorrow but a lather that is known to be right on would remove some doubt about it's role in the result. I think I might put the box into the back of the drawer to try again in the distant future and move on. After reading @Osman's SOTD post above I might see how the Perma-sharp goes.

Pre: Occam's Lime
Brush: Butterscotch Simpson - Best
Blade: Polsiver Super Irridium
Razor: Murkur 34c
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Hazelnut Cuppachino
Scent: Brut33

Usual suspects with a couple of invitees. A new blade to try (hence why I'm keeping everything else the same) and a new brush.
Brush: Knot is good - this thing makes piles of lather very easily! The handle is a killer for me though. Didn't like it at all but that just goes to show because @Mark1966 quite liked this handle. It soaked up the soap easily and quickly requiring no extra water to be added except prior to the third pass. It's no hog either, lather was running down my hand.
Blade: This one surprised me greatly. Nice result, but I can't touch my face to enjoy it because its bloody uncomfortable to do so. It was touted as a "smooth feather". Well, maybe I got a bad one because it dragged a little ( I could tell from the first pass it wasn't going to end well) but the application of aftershave had my family running to my aid thinking I had tried a straight for the first time and screwed up badly. Now it is possible the lather was a little too wet, but even if it was it was only slightly. I don't think it could account for the scraping my face got. Maybe I got a bad blade?? I am loath to use the blade again tomorrow but a lather that is known to be right on would remove some doubt about it's role in the result. I think I might put the box into the back of the drawer to try again in the distant future and move on. After reading @Osman's SOTD post above I might see how the Perma-sharp goes.
It is certainly possible to get a bad blade so do not use that one again. As far as the Permasharp Supers go they are under the Polsilver in the sharpness department, not by much. I find them a good blade and I also find the Rapira Swedish Supersteel and the Rapira Platinum Lux a good blade for me. Another level down in sharpness but enough to give me a good shave with no irritation.

0dtsh32BcdIeSSGm2ym_1r7IRpQ1KYeSpiNo1WVfKgBuXeMoITHmKC_89_7uL7tC2yo0vcDXOSmqb598WS7wt688FGm-rA113YGPbZB2YrrPQULcRQGwLDvwKHTYV0reJlqrrU7kS1U-2nlzkffZ8ihuFupuF-VQLcgK2fZP-XaMth2Hskruen7f7t72wY7CpPQRJuxMvfKutxrFRQmvv0qXHXG2D8ITYEKQg4IQs1UWXvWcEaRCiCgek6Afg5I3IbyufWTJzYTt9R2U11zecDX_OqfBC8BWu-Pzf1Fyz-CXPuHV77HJkeHlDXzSCioVg4USd9Q_HpeHk_rSwFcu88avE1JbbxeuzcCG8RzORMsjjoZf2KPn7QhojYoYh_yfTQwTRFsfsa7PrHO_sDCTL2nA9JRcT51DTihD604JoYtwJcBaCVmSfrK3Iz2MHkJkRbtshuRpxs4jMdqqOPUoSgV5P35LUdjSdsZrTEHFeIqZDPq1-AiNKNDR52NeDHHV5Pi8IYbEiAxCEFmnorQ8fTayiGNAkWxb9Enz8mW3cYkVXZxM-IrJGmIe76gcuh5szkkL=w725-h578-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion Pre-shave
Brush : Shavemac Silvertip
Soap : Savon a Barbe Donkeys Milk Soap
Razor : Hoshitombo 4000
After Shave : La Roche-Posay Lipid Balm + Terre d'Hermes

A very pleasant shave today. Still having to avoid that small gash from a few days ago, I chose the small, very agile Hoshi 4000. The lather was spectacular, thanks to the combo of great brush and great soap. The donkeys' milk soap is a definite personal favourite, combining a delightful fragrance with a generous, protective lather. The boy racer razor zoomed around my face with the greatest of ease, dodging the gash without any trouble and leaving me with a gratifyingly smooth face. I tried a new finisher today - a rather pricey French lipid replacement cream that my pharmacist recommended very highly. The recommendation sure seems justified - my skin felt just fantastic after a v small application. I followed that with some Terre d'Hermes and my day is officially out of the starting blocks....

I'm confused why on earth used Olive Oil during Pre-Shave, sorry if I'm asking a dumb question o_Oo_O

@Draco Noir Donkey Milk Soap :eek::eek: I'm shocked to read that :eek::confused::confused:
Haha I know it's a bit weird, the reason why I done it today was just basically to get a bit extra glide with my straight. Pretty much just a pre-shave oil.
Hopefully that helps

I know that @shavetheman is promoting the imminent arrival of the much touted B&M 'Night Music' soap and splash at The Stray Whisker. Described by @Barrister & Mann as being -

"A blend with an abundance of vanilla with peppery bergamot and silvery iris to form the core of the fragrance, then layered the whole thing on top of 5 different musks to create the raunchiest, naughtiest fragrance we've ever smelled in shaving. It finishes off with just the tiniest fraction of strawberry, so light that you’d probably never even know it’s there, to sweeten the design and make it just a little bit more fun."

- if you have a love of unique scents it will be worth grabbing if you can. I'm certain based on my experience of the Roam that this will be an amazing olfactory experience.
!
It's up folks for those who are keen. Limited time...

At $40 plus p&h, it would want to be an amazing experience!
Haha! It's mid-high tier when it comes to shaving soaps. Quite a few above, but of course many great soaps below. B&M delivers in scent and performance. It'll be special. Whether it's for every nose...well, that's another story.

@SpeedyPC - my turn to be confused. Why on earth are you shocked by that? It makes for a very superior shaving soap indeed!
I know that Larry puts Goat Milk into his soaps (Cold River Soap Works). And so does some other soaps I have. The Donkey's Milk soap is meant to be very good.

@SpeedyPC - my turn to be confused. Why on earth are you shocked by that? It makes for a very superior shaving soap indeed!

@Draco Noir I've never come across or used a shaving soap of Donkey Milk is kinda wired that all, I've have used Goat Milk as bath and shaving soap from time to time and still currently use Goat Milk today.

@Reegs now I understand why you used Olive Oil just basically to get a bit extra glide with your straight razor got it ;)

Merkur 34C
Simpson Polo 8 Best
Tim's Soap Wassail

So a really quick shave but it confirms my skin can't handle cinnamon in soaps. It's a shame because I love the smell but the burning sensation isn't worth it.

This one will now be up for trade or sale at the Sydney meet.

Brush: Semogue 830
Razor: Merkur Progress Long Handle (5)
Blade: GSB (1)
Soap/Cream: Hazelnut Cappuccino by Shaver Heaven ------> @Anthony you're making me hungry again and my mother loves this smell of Hazelnut Cappuccino because you've enlighten her day even happier and brighter when she walk pass the bathroom door, and she ask me what is that wonderful smell of cappuccino and she thought I was having a cup of coffee in the bathroom while I'm shaving and she was completely gobsmacked and dumbfounded when I told her is the shaving soap ;)(y) @Anthony please keep make the Hazelnut Cappuccino Soap.......Cheers ;)
After Shave: Natio Maximum Razor Relief Healing Lotion
Fragrance: Tabac Cologne EDC

Got myself a Merkur Progress Long Handle today, I'm aware the R89 & DE89 blade gap exposure is #3 and the Merkur 34C & 38C blade gap exposure is #4 IF I'm not mistaken.
Now when I used the Merkur Progress Long Handle today and set the blade gap exposure to #5, WOW GOD CRIKEY o_O this setting is a bit rougher than I've come across and it feel like a Feather DE blade and super sharp when I put in a new blade of GSB into my Merkur Progress and I had a small irritation around the neck area is not too bad ;):cool: Next time when I use the Merkur Progress I'm going to set the blade gap exposure to #2 and see what this feels like ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.