Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
24458429113_dc1efd445a_b.jpg

Quick and easy shave today.

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Super Platinum (11)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson (Hoffritz branded) Wee Scot
Soap/Cream: B&M Roam Shaving Soap
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu

With all the hoopla around @shavetheman's shop listing the B&M Night Music (5 kinds of musk? Who knew?) for sale (soap is sold out but aftershave still available? who purchased JUST the soap???) I had to reprise yesterday's B&M lineup.

What I did change was the brush - my 'new' vintage butterscotch Simpson (Hoffritz branded) Wee Scot.

These are an amazing brush - it really makes you wonder WHY people use any brush with a bigger knot. Usual 2 1/2 pass shave and plenty of lather, seriously these things are amazing!

Haha! It's mid-high tier when it comes to shaving soaps. Quite a few above, but of course many great soaps below. B&M delivers in scent and performance. It'll be special. Whether it's for every nose...well, that's another story.

Well for me, posted comes to $50 and that's in a disposable plastic tub not a re-usable bowl. You say that's mid range? Wow.
I was interested in it, it comes with high recommendations and the scent sounds great. As a kid (and probably still) Musk was my favourite lolly but I just can't bring myself to pay that. I even had it in my cart but no. My mind boggles at the expense of a high range soap. I'm guessing price doesn't dictate performance.

Pre: Occam's Lime
Brush: Duke 2 Simpson - Best
Blade: Polsiver Super Irridium
Razor: Murkur 34c
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Arctic Mango
Scent: Brut33

Tried again with a new Polsilver blade. Nope, sorry. Result was a lot better than yesterday, half the irritation, but I did finish the third pass (ATG) with a feather. I also held it very very lightly. WTG and XTG seem okay but it still drags. ATG is like using a rusty butter knife, it feels as though it's dull, tearing through the hair. Box has been relegated to the bottom of the pile under the Murker's and Durby's.

Arctic Mango was nice. This is my first menthol and it will be great on hot mornings/evenings. I quite liked the cooling effect. Mango is subtle to me, and too early (first use) to really comment on the scent. All in all though - great soap.

Enjoyed the brush. Handle is nice although a little confusing to my hands. I want to grab it around the recess at the base with my finger tips. At some stage during use however they move up over the ridge further up the handle with the base against my palm. This feels good too, but not where I consciously want to hold it. I think what is happening is the size and weight of the brush means I need to hold it higher up as the finger groove is maybe too small to keep a good handle on it. Wet dog smell is there, and overpowers the mango in the soap but you know what. It doesn't bother me. I am a dog lover after all. Compared to the two smaller Simpsons I have, my fingers stay at the base... lighter brush, smaller knot see.

Z-14F20aVasAbULRT-IbHhxtrTEtPsSM8DTv5ZmXq_dabjmsR7jNg086kmOXuJR0B5cGfCicmOYPBtDGfzAWS0Y-vUyQzsiS_JfBnqC3vYiZThJUf4-4D1-SVfJP2_e1CcBDh2gQF0438howZ7CgbZt98uiLqcPx3Xono5HvPsEJAaV-gQnD01fywbFXQrjlO6dNBDynwUS7Pf5HNTBKIHzKG5yYaP8Ics9a2oe4DJqmbfWcuUxro482SfwoM-r3Q3J__C1pdRHpuaiXnBNoIIooR4HNWZg7uevXcuR-DVWcfCepNvNIMWXuDLv8VYz1pzC_VsJ_43_MpoiaNBMOrEjhWKwnO-5PE4FfthsfWKWvecEJBFgbNj7_I7bn6gCwEaFHFbzL06EPtlbHvDQHPKAOjBTsgeLgsVk7jiK8RHwyQVz3mJVEVkSscWXCH6A8bQviwGUlSDXl03_JyS8PiBblQs3POuxFQSthxkkN2H-CxXE81Q2nJEtRaAmtSVCEvik6OjAHS3_hnfHGiqJh5GogO7JloLQVJQO8vALpbr-brevGlPc6QBjRBlMaJjPx4TQ5=w800-h600-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion Pre-shave
Brush : Shavemac Custom - Silvertip 21mm Knot, 44mm Loft, Fan Shape
Soap : Mystic Water Bay Rum
Razor : Jerry Stark 6/8" Spanish Point
After Shave : La Roche-Posay Lipid Balm + Tom Ford Venetian Bergamot

Hmmm, even a "nothing special" shave these days is rather, well, special. I pressed some of my most commonly used items into service today and had a simply wonderful shave from them.

I still think on @MrT's line about it being great to be a man. It sure felt that way to me today. Leisureguy also had his spin on it in his blog a few days ago : "A very good shave today, but then I suspect that’s my opening line on most shaves. I can’t recall when I last had a bad shave". So true, from my perspective at least.

How many of you feel the same way - that every day's shave is a great shave?

Z-14F20aVasAbULRT-IbHhxtrTEtPsSM8DTv5ZmXq_dabjmsR7jNg086kmOXuJR0B5cGfCicmOYPBtDGfzAWS0Y-vUyQzsiS_JfBnqC3vYiZThJUf4-4D1-SVfJP2_e1CcBDh2gQF0438howZ7CgbZt98uiLqcPx3Xono5HvPsEJAaV-gQnD01fywbFXQrjlO6dNBDynwUS7Pf5HNTBKIHzKG5yYaP8Ics9a2oe4DJqmbfWcuUxro482SfwoM-r3Q3J__C1pdRHpuaiXnBNoIIooR4HNWZg7uevXcuR-DVWcfCepNvNIMWXuDLv8VYz1pzC_VsJ_43_MpoiaNBMOrEjhWKwnO-5PE4FfthsfWKWvecEJBFgbNj7_I7bn6gCwEaFHFbzL06EPtlbHvDQHPKAOjBTsgeLgsVk7jiK8RHwyQVz3mJVEVkSscWXCH6A8bQviwGUlSDXl03_JyS8PiBblQs3POuxFQSthxkkN2H-CxXE81Q2nJEtRaAmtSVCEvik6OjAHS3_hnfHGiqJh5GogO7JloLQVJQO8vALpbr-brevGlPc6QBjRBlMaJjPx4TQ5=w800-h600-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion Pre-shave
Brush : Shavemac Custom - Silvertip 21mm Knot, 44mm Loft, Fan Shape
Soap : Mystic Water Bay Rum
Razor : Jerry Stark 6/8" Spanish Point
After Shave : La Roche-Posay Lipid Balm + Tom Ford Venetian Bergamot

Hmmm, even a "nothing special" shave these days is rather, well, special. I pressed some of my most commonly used items into service today and had a simply wonderful shave from them.

I still think on @MrT's line about it being great to be a man. It sure felt that way to me today. Leisureguy also had his spin on it in his blog a few days ago : "A very good shave today, but then I suspect that’s my opening line on most shaves. I can’t recall when I last had a bad shave". So true, from my perspective at least.

In complete agreement with you on this @Draco Noir . Every shave is a pleasure and a positive way to start the day or end it depending when you shave.

Now when I used the Merkur Progress Long Handle today and set the blade gap exposure to #5, WOW GOD CRIKEY o_O this setting is a bit rougher than I've come across and it feel like a Feather DE blade and super sharp when I put in a new blade of GSB into my Merkur Progress and I had a small irritation around the neck area is not too bad ;):cool: Next time when I use the Merkur Progress I'm going to set the blade gap exposure to #2 and see what this feels like ;)

For many the sweet spot for the Progress is between 2-3 - it can give wonderful smooth yet close shaves...

These are an amazing brush - it really makes you wonder WHY people use any brush with a bigger knot. Usual 2 1/2 pass shave and plenty of lather, seriously these things are amazing!

Because:
1 - I do 4 passes and like to lather up a 5th time while I am cleaning my gear - especially when I am using a soap/brush combo I really enjoy
2 - Even a Chubby 2 handle is almost too small for my paws and the Wee Scot would most likely fly around my bathroom more often than I'd like

ABSOLUTELY my friend - and if not, you have to practise!

Responding to @Mark1966 comment that:

These [Wee Scot} are an amazing brush - it really makes you wonder WHY people use any brush with a bigger knot. Usual 2 1/2 pass shave and plenty of lather, seriously these things are amazing!

Because:
1 - I do 4 passes and like to lather up a 5th time while I am cleaning my gear - especially when I am using a soap/brush combo I really enjoy
2 - Even a Chubby 2 handle is almost too small for my paws and the Wee Scot would most likely fly around my bathroom more often than I'd like

OK, yeah I get point 2 - it is a little fiddly I will admit. I'm not sure that it wouldn't actually lather up for 5 passes if you spent 5 mins creating the lather.

Maybe I should sent it across and you can try it out? :)

20160218_SOTDSBW_zps7ss5xu5z.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Schick Injector L Type from the P&C Travel box V3.a
Blade: Schick (2) from the P&C Travel box V3.a
Brush: Stirling Kong Synthetic
Lather: Soap Commander Courage from the P&C Travel box V3.a
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original​

Review is here

Last edited:
For many the sweet spot for the Progress is between 2-3 - it can give wonderful smooth yet close shaves...

Thanks for the head up @alfredus and this is why I ask when I used the Merkur Progress next time and set the blade gab to #2, and I'm glad you've answer this for me quickly thank you ;)

OT:- Question what the blade gap for Merkur 33C and the reason I'm asking just in case is there a safety razor that has a model for a blade gap #2, as I said before I was aware the Merkur 34C & 38C blade is #4 and the R89 & DE89 blade gab is #3 so that was I'm check for EJ & Merkur model for blade gap #2.

Cheers ;)

When I had a Progress at one stage I found some old Merkur inst5ructions for the adjustable.

To reduce the beard use about 1 1/2 for the first pass and then increase to about 2 - 2 1/2 for the final pass. It worked very well.

3cx31Xn.jpg

Muhle R89 / Dorco Prime Platinum
Omega 48 Pro
TOBS Avocado
National Alum (India)
Adidas Team Five AS Splash
L'Oreal Hydra Energetic ASB
It reached a top of about 22 degrees here in Melbourne and it felt like Autumn had arrived early. So I decided it was time bring out TOBS Avocado, which I've neglected over the Summer time - It's been at least a couple of months since I've used it. I had almost forgotten how great this cream performs. Lathering this stuff seems really easy and you definitely don't need as much product. This was the fourth shave with the Dorco Prime Platinum blades and they felt different - not bad, but maybe a little smoother and I also noticed audible feedback, which was lacking during my first three shaves. I'm not sure if they smoothed out with use, or maybe it was a result of using TOBS.

Overall, changing over to TOBS provided a refreshing change and I'm looking forward to using it more often, especially as we move in Autumn.

Happy Shaving Everyone !!

Status
Not open for further replies.