Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Super Platinum (9)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson - The Duke
Soap/Cream: D R Harris Marlborough shaving soap
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

So much good stuff - so little time.

A simple shave today - but still a good shave. Hard to imagine that this was once SUCH a chore which I loathed with a passion.

20160216_082052 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Top Seven Emulsion
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Post Shave: Stray Whisker balm and TOBS Sandalwood AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. The TOBS sandalwood fills the bathroom with its scent, very pleasant and a good performance by it as well. Really enjoying the badger brush at the moment. It is so soft and I think it is lonely so I may have to add a companion to it.

Valentine's Day & Eve of 50th Birthday Shave

St James Mandarin/Patchouli Oil
Shavemac 173 Silvertip
SV Manna di Sicilia Soap
Muhle R41 (2011) on UFO TiTan handle
Gillette green blade
Osma Alum
Phoenix Alfin
Creed Original Vetiver EDT

A glorious shave prior to a lovely dinner with my gorgeous life partner. BBS enough for the next day of leisure that followed for my big 5-0.

@possumbelly - a very happy birthday and anniversary from your buddies in the P&C Melb Lunch Club. You'd better make it along this week so we can make an appropriate (and well deserved) fuss of you mate :)
:whistle::)

Beautifully chosen shave too!!

Very nice performance. Soft tips with great backbone straight out of the box. Quite possibly the funkiest smelling badger I've ever used though.

Maybe it is not BADGER hair but GIBBON fur???

Do, do, do the funky shave brush
(The funky shave brush)
We are here to show you how
Ooo, ooo, ooo

Ooo, ooo, ooo, the funky shave brush
He just likes you
So come on and use
The funky shave brush now

(with apologies to the Goodies) -

Pre: Proraso Red
Soap: Shaver Heavan - Hazelnut Cuppachino
Razor: Murkur 34C
Blade: Feather
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Best

Changed my morning routine so I eat straight after getting off the bike (better for the muscles) and then shower shave (better for the face). I used to shower, eat, then shave. Not so nice eating sweaty and sticky but you can't have everything. Feather is the new standard for me, in this razor at least. Lovely, a couple of weepers but very good result for a noob. It's only week 3. Looking forward to trying the Polsilver which is supposed to be as sharp, but smoother. Tried moving the Proraso from post to pre-shave. Meh... face is bit dry now so it's better at the end for it's moisturising qualities. I don't think it adds anything to the shave quality as a pre. Brush is nice, very soft which I suppose is to be expected for an old best badger. Handle is very comfortable but could do with a bit more backbone.

Brush: Semogue 1800
Razor: Muhle R89 Classic
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)
Soap/Cream: Tabac Soap
After Shave: Natio Maximum Razor Relief Healing Lotion :eek:
Fragrance: Tabac Cologne EDC

WOW! :eek: You better try this Aussie product really does give you extra Maximum Razor Relief than the Natio Calming Aftershave Balm, keep mind this bottle is a 125ml for around $13 and the Natio Calming ASB is 200ml for around $12.

Last edited:
CLCxcuHqE49U4I915LhycK-NXV5inJEz0hSq-0nlbTs5t1oLlyetV0AFjgkDE-GsNr7owHfqiw-d7qvtZGhhfClMp6nXneZCghzVqvPXuT1JSk_iqDQSPXUntXolSlDu54jbQXlVtAM5Zmf6Kc9xsugf4-eF-jl3hGh6u4zNLf3z_fZPQYDB7uDT8KWIKNiZwOGqp95G8IEKAzn-7cYFztXOwuc69F2xRR-oHTtCJKxRnTH4iXpGkk1-r3ymCZWl_MK3_W-tcCjlwagosZf39Yqg1KTW_eunKNZbSCMISWlLJ3gwL3rgz_P3Y0bQgRwxntaiH6hCjKUem9U8f3MhMAwb3BBEEOuc2zNsLsI5HrRPj7Xi45GxAPjv0DmywOmf1hJjDi16tyMYArBA34I54P3y0LU8a70O9pscGlOAtHb8G071XHekWKyPwAVOO3YKtiEaI4O7bTZSermYiTcU1v7mXmiQtTT7X6m2JAiXEuHPohxUZo6zLoNj1-UFXzjfu9d1yNmTiSFdHtU5pozPMiB3g_xb7I7P1EKAklvjS3xipydRgcQyYR1W02Rhu1_4eJwF=w800-h600-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine soae
Pre-Shave : Trumpers Lime Skinfood
Brush : Muhle Black Bristle Synthetic
Soap : Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Razor : Brucke 6/8"
After Shave : Myrsol Antesol + Alvarez Gomez EDC

When too much citrus is not enough...

I had a go at the time honoured "Slice 'n' Dice" move with the straight razor over the weekend, and paid the inevitable price for attempting moves above my current proficiency level. I endured my punishment manfully and missed my shave yesterday, but couldn't manage two days. It was always going to be a difficult shave - carefully dodging the wound to avoid opening it up again, so I decided to add some enjoyment by seeing how many citrus fragranced products I could work into the shave. Quite a few actually, as you'll see from the list above. The Alvarez Gom11ez EDT is a strongly lemon scented EDT by the way.

Anyway, managed the shave with a nice smooth result, and no new bloodshed. I just feel and smell like a citrus grove temporarily...

Happy birthday @possumbelly!!!

And you get 2 likes from me @Nightguard since it is the first post with the beautiful brush! Could you maybe compare it to others you have tried???

20160216_SOTDSBW_zpsns5ifubm.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Schick Injector L Type from the P&C Travel box V3.a
Blade: Schick (1) from the P&C Travel box V3.a
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic
Lather: Van Yulay Chocolate Glaciado from the P&C Travel box V3.a
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original​

Review is up here

ja629oD.jpg

Tabac Tuesday...oh and a 7-blade cartridge razor

Brush:
Savile Row @shavetheman LE
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Dorco Pace 7 (on loan from @Mark1966)
After: Thayers and Alt Innsbruck

This shave was conducted in the name of science. No faces were harmed in the making of this shave.
Click HERE for my razor review.

Last edited:
Happy birthday @possumbelly!!!

And you get 2 likes from me @Nightguard since it is the first post with the beautiful brush! Could you maybe compare it to others you have tried???

I'm much more of a boar user and feel very comfortable when using my stable of Omegas and Semogues. These are my favourites.

Badgers - I have some. A Duke 2 in best. A Simpsons P8 Phyl in best which is nice and dense. A Vulfix 660S in Super - meh. A Frank Silvertip - double meh.

The Shavemac is a cut above all of the above. Prickly tips when placed on my face dry but oh so soft with great backbone when lathered up. The lather flows through well - the knot isn't too dense. It's much less of a lather hog than the 2 Simpsons above.

I'm sure I could learn to enjoy badgers even more but I already have far too many brushes. Selectivity (or restraint) is the key from here on!

Razor: Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Super Platinum (10)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: B&M Roam Shaving Soap
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu

It was a little chilly here in CBR this morning so I wanted to start the day with something warm and inviting - opened the drawer and the B&M Roam lept out at me.

We still have a love/hate relationship - it is an interesting scent but certainly rich, complex and multi-layered. Rub your hand against your face all morning and you get subtle wafts. It is polarising but on balance I think I enjoy it. I know that @shavetheman is promoting the imminent arrival of the much touted B&M 'Night Music' soap and splash at The Stray Whisker. Described by @Barrister & Mann as being -

"A blend with an abundance of vanilla with peppery bergamot and silvery iris to form the core of the fragrance, then layered the whole thing on top of 5 different musks to create the raunchiest, naughtiest fragrance we've ever smelled in shaving. It finishes off with just the tiniest fraction of strawberry, so light that you’d probably never even know it’s there, to sweeten the design and make it just a little bit more fun."

- if you have a love of unique scents it will be worth grabbing if you can. I'm certain based on my experience of the Roam that this will be an amazing olfactory experience.

The Kyovu alcohol free splash is also an underrated gem IMHO. Face fees great afterwards, I'm sure I'm 10 years younger ...

Oh, the vintage NOS Schick Super Platinum still going strong and the Simmo and Weber are great tools.

Shaving really can be fun!

I know that @shavetheman is promoting the imminent arrival of the much touted B&M 'Night Music' soap and splash at The Stray Whisker.
If you want it you must jump on it FAST. It sold out in under an hour in most of the other stores it sold in. It's pricier than most other B&M soaps.
Hot tip: It'll be up by tonight. [emoji41]

Status
Not open for further replies.