Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharp: Gold Dollar #66
Sharp II: Gem Jr / Personna Gem
Slip: B&M Latha / Omega S10108
Soothe: @Draco Noir Preshave

I'm back home so I once again have access to my strop. The GD got a good number of laps and the keenness was noticeably improved but all the same, it needs a little touching up on a hone. I suspected this would be the case so I'd preloaded a Gem Jr which I used for the second pass. Very nice shave.

Draco's preshave is a great aftershave. The only criticism I have of it is its high viscosity. I deal with this by rubbing it in my palms before applying.

So @bald as, are you keen to sharpen a few razors on the Arkie's some time?

Merkur 34C
Omega Boar Brush
Feather Blade (3)
Shaver Heaven Spiced Mahogany

An annoying shave this morning. I think the soap was irritating my face & my neck, especially around my Adams apple, is a red mess.

Anyone got any tips for that area? It's the only place I experience any irritation.

Sorry to hear about your irritation. It could be due to the soap or the blade. If the soap then I would expect the irritation to target your entire face as well. I'm leaning towards the Merkur 34c/Feather combo because this was my initial experience too. Try the same shave again but this time just change the blade to a Personna Blue or Voskhod. Make certain that you're using a light touch (remember to let the weight of the 34C do the work). Don't try to get a BBS on your neck.

The neck area was a challenge for me when started using DE's. Things started to improve with time and experimenting with my technique. I'm still not a master of it but a hell of a lot better.

Also consider getting some Witch Hazel. Some suggest Dickens from your local chemist but I prefer Thayers. Rub a small amount in your face and neck after you have rinsed off the residue soap. Witch Hazel has some wonderful healing properties when your face feels like its on fire. I use it religiously no matter if I experience irritation or not.

Sorry to hear about your irritation. It could be due to the soap or the blade. If the soap then I would expect the irritation to target your entire face as well. I'm leaning towards the Merkur 34c/Feather combo because this was my initial experience too. Try the same shave again but this time just change the blade to a Personna Blue or Voskhod. Make certain that you're using a light touch (remember to let the weight of the 34C do the work). Don't try to get a BBS on your neck.

The neck area was a challenge for me when started using DE's. Things started to improve with time and experimenting with my technique. I'm still not a master of it but a hell of a lot better.

Also consider getting some Witch Hazel. Some suggest Dickens from your local chemist but I prefer Thayers. Rub a small amount in your face and neck after you have rinsed off the residue soap. Witch Hazel has some wonderful healing properties when your face feels like its on fire. I use it religiously no matter if I experience irritation or not.

I think I'm gonna put it down to the blade. I find the 3rd use of a Feather is always a bit ordinary so I'll give it another crack because Anthony's soaps pretty much always treat me well otherwise.

Just ordered some blades from TSW as well so I'll see how they go.
Thanks for the tips!

20160115_080846 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Vie Long Horse hair
Soap: TOBS Coconut
Post Shave: Stray Whisker balm and Proraso Green AS
Two pass shave with a clean up. Uber lather was created with the left over Mikes and the TOBS and a few drops of glycerin. The bathroom is overflowing with lather. The result is a DFS with no irritation, nick or cuts. Loving the Stray Whisker balm, hope it become available to purchase in the future.

Razor: 39C
Blade: Derby
Brush: Semogue 610
Soap: Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango
Splash: SH Forbidden Forest

First time using the slant in what has probably been a few months. Only one very tiny nick that stop during the second pass.

20160115_zpsh0z2gsyn.png

Face Wash : PAA Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavemac Custom Silvertip
Soap : Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Razor : Jerri Stark 6/8" "Spanish Point
After Shave : Tom Ford Venetian Bergamot

A really good straightforward shave. After the usual prep routine I decided to try the sample Citrus & Bay soap kindly sent by The Stray Whisker. Instant love! For me, it's an absolutely brilliant fragrance with fresh, zesty citrus notes leading into the woody spiciness of bay. It lifted the whole shave experience to a new level today. I'm going to order a puck of it as soon as I finish posting this SOTD. I'm really enjoying the Jerry Stark razor. A lot. It offers a superb blend of sharp and smooth, making it a very comfortable shave while still being highly effective. You straight shavers who don't believe that you can get a really great modern straight for an affordable price - do yourselves a favour and check out http://www.jerryshandmaderazors.com

I was feeling so good after the shave that I reached for my tiny sample bottle of Tom Ford Venetian Bergamot - another sensational fragrance that produced a perfect finish to the shave.

Happy shaves, fellow P&Cers!

I can truly appreciate just how easy it is to work with Shaver Heaven soaps after today's shave.
Merkur 34C
Omega Boar Brush
Feather (2)
Dr Jon's Bonne Ann
Thayers Witchhazel

I couldn't figure out how to get a decent lather with this soap. It looked the part but it felt super thin & wispy & didn't feel like it was providing much of anything.
Perhaps I need to load more product?

The scent though was spectacular & the save grace was the Thayers at the end.

Disappointing for my first outing.

12573901_10153153418416537_5748257998819590637_n.jpg

Brush : Omega 49
Soap : Stirling Barbershop
Razor : #102 Ikon on Weber Wave
Blade : Voskhod (2)
Post Shave : Thayers Orig

Second shave with the #102 and again exceptional results. This could easily be my daily shaver (though not sure if hair will grow back fast enough)!

I've been trying to compare the semogue to omega, for my preference. I must admit, I do like the denser knot of the Omega slightly better, but the semogue has a nice splay and face feel (mind you, this is comparing a huge knot 49 to the 1800 sem, of course it will be denser). Hard call. Might just have to buy an Omega 10066.

Stirling, well it's awesome. One of the best tallow brands I have tried. If you've never tried it, put it on a list...

I couldn't figure out how to get a decent lather with this soap. It looked the part but it felt super thin & wispy & didn't feel like it was providing much of anything.
Perhaps I need to load more product?

The scent though was spectacular & the save grace was the Thayers at the end.

Disappointing for my first outing.

Yes, from the sounds of it you need to load more soap. A common rookie learning experience.

Look up Anne Bonny in YouTube for a demonstration.

BTW - is your Omega brush new? Getting a decent lather out of a new boar can be tricky until they have reached about 30 uses. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch
Soap/Cream: B&M Roam
Razor: Vintage Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky' Razor
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (8)
Post-shave: Captain's Choice Cat 'o' Nine Tails

Shaved twice yesterday as we were going out in the evening so this is shave eight on the Lab Blue. I normally only get 4-5 out of this so this was well past it's expected life and clearly past it't prime. Nonetheless the shave was OK, not great but OK. I find some razors 'hide' problems with blades better than others - I would never have done this with a R41!

The Roam and I have a love/hate relationship - today more love than hate. The Captain's Choice is a fantastic post shave - I love it and know I will get wafts all morning as i drive to Orange for the weekend.

Happy days guys!

20160116_zps6co6eakh.png

Brush : Thater 2-Band Silvertip
Soap : Martin de Candre Original
Razor : Jenes Sandor Kamisori
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamica, Argan Oil

I usually enjoy Saturdays because there's plenty of time to devote to shaving, really getting into the ritual and enjoyment of it. Today was no exception, but the shave didn't take that long. I'm getting comfortable with face lathering now - I managed to produce a beautiful lather with a little help from the fantastic Thater/de Candre combination. The Sandor Jenes Kamisori delivered a really smooth. close and comfortable result - just 2 passes to achieve a very satisfying result. I finished off with one of the unsung heroes of my shaving cabinet, Myrsol's Agua Balsamica. I always enjoy the fresh herbal fragrance and soothing feel of this product.

20160116_zps6co6eakh.png

Brush : Thater 2-Band Silvertip
Soap : Martin de Candre Original
Razor : Jenes Sandor Kamisori
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamica, Argan Oil

I usually enjoy Saturdays because there's plenty of time to devote to shaving, really getting into the ritual and enjoyment of it. Today was no exception, but the shave didn't take that long. I'm getting comfortable with face lathering now - I managed to produce a beautiful lather with a little help from the fantastic Thater/de Candre combination. The Sandor Jenes Kamisori delivered a really smooth. close and comfortable result - just 2 passes to achieve a very satisfying result. I finished off with one of the unsung heroes of my shaving cabinet, Myrsol's Agua Balsamica. I always enjoy the fresh herbal fragrance and soothing feel of this product.
What a beautiful picture and shave @Draco Noir! What a shame it is tainted with the MdC [emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji16]

Status
Not open for further replies.