Dr Harris Windsor EDT

20160116_233053 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Top Seven Emulsion
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Soap: TOBS Jermyn Street Cream
Brush : Vie Long Horse
Post Shave: Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel and Alt Innsbruck Cologne
Three pass shave with no irritation or bloodshed. Twelve months down the track and it all seems to be coming together. No pressure is the mantra. Still had some Mikes left in the bowl so this was another uber lather of excellent proportions. Time for a fun Sunday with a smooth face. Have a good one.

20160117_zpshweer5cw.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush : Vie Long 14080 (horse/badger blend)
Soap : Mystic Water - The Brown Windsor
Razor : Iwasaki Kamisori
After Shave : Argan Oil, Speick EDT

The usual prep, but used Alt Insbruck rather than Myrsol for the pre-shave emulsion. I really like the skin feel this product gives - it makes me feel confident that my skin is really razor ready. Pulled out a mixed horse and badger bristle Vie Long that hasn't seen much use for a while, and wondered why not? It's a great brush that delivers the best of each bristle type - horsehair backbone coupled with badger softness and really impressive lathering ability. It made an easier than usual job of face lathering the Mystic Water, a soap that saves its best for those prepared to put the effort into building a lather. (Take note please @alfredus :p)

The Iwasaki Kamisori was, as always, flawless. I managed to enjoy a nick free, close as you can get shave in complete comfort. It's not hard to see why Iwasaki is a name held in the highest regard by lovers of Japanese razors, both Kamisori and Western style. I couldn't decide on an aftershave to do justice to this shave, and ended up settling for Speick's very good EDT.

Sharp: Gold Dollar #66
Slip: B&M Latha / Omega S10108
Soothe: Myrsol Antesol

The edge is better but still not where it needs to be. This honing caper is the hardest part of shaving with a straight razor IMHO. I'm enjoying the challenge though. I think I'll retire the GD for a while and give the fabulous Takemaru another run.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Pre:
Proraso followed by Musgo Real Glyce Soap
Brush: Simpson PJ2 Super
Soap: D.R Harris Arlington
Razor: iKon DLC Slant
Blade: PolSilver SI (1)
Post-shave: Alum, Thayers, Coral Skin Food

A fantastic shave. Back to the slant with a Polsilver. I feel I've got the measure of the razor now, it's heavy but such a pleasure to use.
I've had trouble with the Arlington in the past, but when it's good it's very good. Today it was a joy.

20160117_SOTDS_zpsbgkftqva.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: RudyVey Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Being on an island for 2 weeks with a small synthetic brush, 1 soap and the RazoRock Stealth Slant makes one very lazy indeed. I was very much looking forward to my first shave at home, and although I tried to deny it to myself, it was crystal clear what set-up I am going to use. But I was not prepared for the hard work that awaited me...

It took me longer than some of you need for the whole shave to get the Mystic Waters lather I like. The brush is huge and needs a lot of product and if you don't want to load long, don't get a large brush :ROFLMAO:

And then the Wolf bit me! And on the first pass!!! I can't remember if/when this happened last. But from that stage I got my act together and the rest of the shave was pure joy - as was the result!

Yes, life on a small island can be lazy, but it is good to be back home - and yes @Draco Noir Tallow is still king :D

Hehe @alfredus, that'll teach you to leave the poor Wolf at home while you bask on a tropical island. I mean, what did you expect???

...and for a second I was even contemplating even the BBS-1 or the IKON DLC slant...what was I thinking :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A fantastic shave. Back to the slant with a Polsilver. I feel I've got the measure of the razor now, it's heavy but such a pleasure to use.

That is great to hear, @Psmith :) Ikon DLC Slant with a Polsilver IR blade - it really doesn't get much better than that when it comes to DE shaving IMHO (y)

Good shave this evening. I tried the Godrej Menthol Mist again with a straight and this time used cold water. Well cold as the water is here is sunny Adelaide. I used a 2.5 cm dob and worked it into my beard with the fingertips and then created a truly fantastic lather. I refreshed the edge on my Invicta straight this afternoon and the Translucent Arkansas gave it a great edge. Previously the Godrej wasn't too flash with a straight but just a wee bit more on the brush and it performs really well. A good solid shave with one weeper on a face crinkle.

Sunday 17 January 2016

225134d1453036859-sun-january-17th-sat-january-23rd-sotd-17012016.jpg

Italy!

I recently received a gift from a friend of mine who is also passionate about straight razor shaving, as well as owning some Mastro Livi straight razors. As a matter of fact, his very first straight razor has been a Mastro Livi CarboInox. When he saw my "Mastro Livi Italian Shaving Set", he wanted to buy a gift for me, something which could further be a matching for my Italian set. So he bought me this shave towel in which it is read "Italia" and has Italy in our national colors, green, white and red. I therefore thought today I would have shaved with Italian products only in order to honor my Country and our very long tradition in shaving and barbering. Every product I used it was made in Italy, from pre-shave oil to after shave and, of course, shave towel too. As for the razor, it is a masterpiece hand forged by Mastro Livi, with a super smooth feel on the skin and giving an amazing close and smooth shave. Italy!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24 mm knot
  • Bowl: Old Italian Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi K600 Hand Forged "Rasoio Italiano", 15/16 Full Hollow, French Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Elberel P.160 Professional Vetiver

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch
Soap/Cream: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship
Razor: Vintage Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky' Razor
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (1)
Post-shave: Myrsol Formula C

Didn't shave yesterday so two days of growth on the face - the 'Sticky' really didn't like that. It enjoys the more regular use!

Last of the Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship sample from @SydBJW - great soap - and finished off with the Formula C and appreciative comments from my wife about the pleasant smell. Can't be a bad way to start the day :)

20160118_zpss4yoq4rx.png

Face Wash : O Melhor Exfoliating Pre shave soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Plisson
Soap : Mikes - Peppermint and Rosemary
Razor : Hoshi Tombo Kamisori
After Shave : Proraso Green AS

A near perfect shave today - everything just came together with seemingly little effort on my part. The Hoshi Tombo is a western ground kamisori, which reduces the amount of contortion needed while still delivering a BBS result. The Proraso AS with its mild menthol was just the ticket on a very warm, muggy Melbourne morning.

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch
Soap/Cream: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship
Razor: Vintage Wilkinson Sword 'Sticky' Razor
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (1)
Post-shave: Myrsol Formula C

Didn't shave yesterday so two days of growth on the face - the 'Sticky' really didn't like that. It enjoys the more regular use!

Last of the Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship sample from @SydBJW - great soap - and finished off with the Formula C and appreciative comments from my wife about the pleasant smell. Can't be a bad way to start the day :)

Glad you like the soap, @stillshunter has a full tub if you need to borrow/sample any more ;)

Was this used because I mentioned it the other day and you remembered you had it?

I was looking to change from the Slim I was using, another member talked about doing something different, subliminally you must have planted the Sticky thought and here we are!

Status
Not open for further replies.