WR1
Feather
AP Reserve Lavioletta

DIY lemon myrtle pre shave oil
KarveD w/Polsilver
DS Cosmetic synthetic
Arran - Lochranza
Sacred earth splash

I love this brush knot! It's one of my favorite synthetic brushes. It's ultra soft and has a very nice splay to it.

Arran soaps are underrated! Excellent scents and nice, creamy lather. It's a milled soap so will last forever!

20190501-091653-2.jpg

Date:- 01 May 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Muhle Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/60mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Lav Sublime
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Rocket HD500 (0.51mm) made in England 1950's / Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum #14
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Proraso Wood & Spice

KarveD w/Polsilver
DS Cosmetic synthetic
Arran - Lochranza
Sacred earth splash

I love this brush knot! It's one of my favorite synthetic brushes. It's ultra soft and has a very nice splay to it.

Arran soaps are underrated! Excellent scents and nice, creamy lather. It's a milled soap so will last forever!

20190501-091653-2.jpg
Now this is interesting. A milled soap for £10.
So the TCO is is rather low.
Lately I've noticed quite a few low cost shaving setups that rival the higher end offerings.
On this, has someone stated a thread on great low-cost kits/setups out there?

Now this is interesting. A milled soap for £10.
So the TCO is is rather low.
Lately I've noticed quite a few low cost shaving setups that rival the higher end offerings.
On this, has someone stated a thread on great low-cost kits/setups out there?

To be very honest, after a decade of wet shaving and having used over 200 soaps (of which 120 are currently in my den), I've come to experience that there's no magical soap base, only soaps that are easy to work with and soaps that require a bit more work.
The resulting lather is basically the same.

The only difference I can pick up is tallow VS veggie because the tallow soaps so leave a slightly greasy feel (not in a negative sense) on my skin. Otherwise I wouldn't know the difference.

I'm a big fan of milled soaps because they don't go off (nearly unlimited shelf life), the scents are not overpowering/overwhelming and the performance is just as good as any "artisan" soap.

Arran and Bath House are two brands that are never talked about but I have all 4 soaps from these brands and the performance is excellent and the scents are wonderful.

I don't participate in the threads that discuss these matters because I feel the hobby should be enjoyed how one wants to enjoy it. I apply my experiences to how I do things, not to impose them on to others :)

That was quite a long story, Sorry!

gd5JClX.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: M&F / Brad Sears Finest Badger
Soap: Eufros TSN LE 2018
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (4)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Parfums de Marly Galloway

A very close and comfortable three pass shave, with lovely herbaceous lather from the Eufros soap.

KtP3z7Wl.jpg

First time ever making a superlather. Not sure I noticed much difference but the scent seemed better. More subdued if you will.
First time in ages I’ve used a Persona red blade. Gave me great results in 2 passes.

Another APR shave and the donut is getting bigger!!!

This time i pulled out the ol rockwell and i now understand what people mean by a mindless shave :) was pleasant to shave without the need to concentrate for a change

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Yaqi Mokka Express
Soap: Australian Private Reserve Florian
Razor: Rockwell 6C (R6)
Blade: Polsilver (1)
Post-shave: Proraso Red AS splash

IMAG0438.jpg

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Blade: Rockwell (3)
Razor: Yintal Brass TTO 5000s (2, 3)
Bowl: Pereira's Unbreakable bowl
Soap: PAA CaD
Pre: Shower + PAA CaD Preshave soap

First shave with this 'new' TTO DE and initial impressions are great. Marketed as a Chinese version of a Gillette classic, I was surprised at build quality and weight in the handle. Started off on setting 2 and finished on 3 with DFS results. Certainly going to use it in rotation as it's more user friendly than the Qshave/Mings#$t but I wouldn't pay what Vshod's selling it for seeing as my Variant offers overall value & superior shaves! Great performance from the CaD even though I find the scent a tad powdery... Happy shaves!

hgYGsyml.jpg

Soap: Soap by Luna - Fauno
Brush: 20mm Master Badger
Razor: Leaf
Blades: Polsilver
I should begin by saying this was a really good shave. Though it was a little like one of those car trips where the kids are saying 'are we there yet, are we there yet?'. I thought my problem with this razor was going to be shaving under the nose as others have stated, but no I anticipated the access issue, given the top leaf creates a large gap between top blade and top edge of razor, and was able to negotiate the top lip easily enough. My problem was more with engagement, the large surface area of the razor face tends to aquaplane across the face and you're not sure whether it's cutting whiskers or not. As @nav1 stated, some pressure on the head at times is appropriate. Lather density also contributes, I was finding less was more and that watering down the lather helped engagement.
The Leaf is a bit of a contraption, which is partly what attracted me to it in the first place, and at times I felt it was flopping around my face, lacking the precision and engagement of a straight razor.
For a while post shave I found myself berating myself 'stop whinging, you got a good shave didn't you, what's the actual problem?'. There is no specific problem just the experience is different. Still, preference comes into play.
So am I glad I purchased the Leaf? I think so. Premium shave for me is still the straight razor, but I also enjoy DE's and SE's. The Leaf will be very good when my skin is tired and irritated as it is quite gentle on the skin. I'd be disappointed if the Leaf was my only razor but the complaint then would still be based on experience not due to quality of shave.
I'm interested to try Voskhod blades in this razor to see if the Leaf tames their roughness. Also I'm hoping Mrs Pbgoose will try the Leaf as other ladies seem to be appreciating it.

Date:- 02 May 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Edwin Jagger Synth. v2.0 Silvertip Fibre Faux Horn 25/58mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Man from Mayfair
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip (0.81mm) 1950's England / Vintage NOS Gillette Stainless #1
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Proraso Wood & Spice

hgYGsyml.jpg

Soap: Soap by Luna - Fauno
Brush: 20mm Master Badger
Razor: Leaf
Blades: Polsilver
I should begin by saying this was a really good shave. Though it was a little like one of those car trips where the kids are saying 'are we there yet, are we there yet?'. I thought my problem with this razor was going to be shaving under the nose as others have stated, but no I anticipated the access issue, given the top leaf creates a large gap between top blade and top edge of razor, and was able to negotiate the top lip easily enough. My problem was more with engagement, the large surface area of the razor face tends to aquaplane across the face and you're not sure whether it's cutting whiskers or not. As @nav1 stated, some pressure on the head at times is appropriate. Lather density also contributes, I was finding less was more and that watering down the lather helped engagement.
The Leaf is a bit of a contraption, which is partly what attracted me to it in the first place, and at times I felt it was flopping around my face, lacking the precision and engagement of a straight razor.
For a while post shave I found myself berating myself 'stop whinging, you got a good shave didn't you, what's the actual problem?'. There is no specific problem just the experience is different. Still, preference comes into play.
So am I glad I purchased the Leaf? I think so. Premium shave for me is still the straight razor, but I also enjoy DE's and SE's. The Leaf will be very good when my skin is tired and irritated as it is quite gentle on the skin. I'd be disappointed if the Leaf was my only razor but the complaint then would still be based on experience not due to quality of shave.
I'm interested to try Voskhod blades in this razor to see if the Leaf tames their roughness. Also I'm hoping Mrs Pbgoose will try the Leaf as other ladies seem to be appreciating it.

Great review, Bruce!
I agree about the lack of engagement...It's a mindless shave but for me, that's a slight positive :)

I really can't complain about the shave and I can't deny the comfort of the razor.

I would really urge you and others to bring the leaf razor in to the lives of significant others. It's not only good for us guys when we're after a quick, comfy, close shave but it's the perfect ladies razor.

Rockwell 6S w/Polsilver
Semogue 1800 boar
Dr Jon's Classic
Sacred earth splash

Even though synthetic brushes generate the best lather, badger brushes are the most luxurious...There's just something magical and unexplainable about boar brushes!!

The Rockwell is still my favourite razor even though the karve D gives a closer shave. The cutting angle on the Rockwell and the combo of gap/exposure is just the best!!

20190502-111048-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.