Status
Not open for further replies.
Date:- 04 October 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ St. Barts
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6s R6 / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #4
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Declaration Jefferson
ATTR1+TRiAD
Feather
Declaration Tester - MiLKSTEAK

No picture today, I had the chance to try a new soap-base from Declaration Grooming with the name 'Milksteak'. In short this is without a doubt the best soap base I have ever used, it takes all the advantages of Bison Tallow and combines them with the benefits of Icarus for something entirely new. An absolute monster of a base from Scott that undeniably is now the top base in the artisan sphere. I love the AP Reserve F2 base, it's phenomenal but I also enjoy other peoples products and I buy a lot of them and the 'leader board' is always fun to watch - come fragrances its often another matter.. When I was offered the chance to try this new base before release I could not pass it up. Try it when you get the chance, it is unbelievably good soap :)

Sorry mate, only just saw the post - and we did whiz through Sale (and will going back to the airport tomorrow)

In the meantime, in my great grand tour of Victoria's BEST hotels ...

r3xmCLDm.jpg
wP77F0Gm.jpg
2RVigx4m.jpg

With my favourite feature, especially for @Monsta_AU is -

QPWnvQMl.jpg

Don't neglect the plug report.

Pre: shower
Brush: Wild West Brushworks “Boomtown” Timber Wolf
Soap: Murphy and Daughters cream
Razor: Karve SS with OC/C
Blade: Gillette green Permasharp (1)

The cream continues to disappoint. I’m done with acquiring any more creams. Once this is gone and my tube of Proraso its soaps only for me.

First use of the C open comb plate. A shade over 27 hours growth and it was gone easily. Very smooth open comb plate. The open D is just a touch harsh for me unless it’s many days growth being removed. Once technique is perfected with the open comb it could be a great daily option!

Brush: RR boar
Razor: Merkur 37
Blade: Astra Blue (1)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Shaver Heaven Sweet Almond Milk
Post: Squadron Soap Group Captain's Blend splash // Vaseline Replenishing Mouisteriser

A routine prework SOTD with the slant. The boar has finally broken in and may become my go to brush as its super soft and laps up the lather quite easily. Decided on the Sweet Almond Milk soap and the colour and scent from the tub reminds me of one of my favourite soaps, Squadrons G.C.B. The performance is on par and the scent is sweet and almost vanilla like - yum yum. Matched with the GCB splash for what I'm hoping will be an uneventful day at work... Happy shaves!

Build up of tallow based soap scum over the last 8 decades perhaps?

No, sorry. The plug didn't stop water draining out slowly from the basin.

In other news -

3pi4toll.jpg

... the driver turned right - apologies @Callum

Date:- 05 October 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Moka Express Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ St. Barts
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 38C / Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum #7
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Pre-shave: Shower
Bowl: Limited Edition P&C 2019 Auction Grey Bowl by Avalon Pottery
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 1460
Soap: Tallow & Steel - Himalaya
Razor/Blade: Merkur Progres #1 / Nacet (3)
Post-shave: Stirling - Ben Franklin
@astinus4 passed on the T&S Himalaya at the Darwin meetup. @Lurker reckons it smells like ass (Musky Civet) but no Musk in it
Paired nicely with the Ben Franklin or any South Asian scent. Very smooth texture that lathered well and provide plenty of slick protection.
Been nicking myself with the blade tabs lately and seem to do more damage with the Slim and Spoiler combo than R41 or JAWS. Must be getting complacent with the vintage or style has changed. Anyway looked through the den and Progress has tabs covered so set low and slow smooth irritation free shaves for the past few days. Happy Shaving :)
D4Z9pnY.jpg

Alpha Shaving Outlaw V2 titanium handle with a Frank shaving G4 Knot
B&M Cool
Charcoal Goods, Maze handle, 4th Gen, level 2 baseplate, Skull top cap
Perma Sharp "Made in Scotland" vintage blade

This has to go down as my shave of the year. Maybe the stars just seemed to align, but I didn't want i to end. The lather was super slick and awesome. The new level 2 baseplate is wonderfully smooth and the vintage Perma Sharp was just fantastic. Wish I had picked up some more.​

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: The Stray Whisker Silvertip Badger
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Muhle R41 🧨
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (1)

First shave with the infamous Muhle R41 (thank you @Holiday)...and yep it definitely lives up to its reputation. I haven’t been this apprehensive throughout a shave for years. Just so much blade feel. Had to concentrate on every single stroke (with the 6S I’m often on autopilot/muscle memory).

The scariest part was ATG on my moustache area. Contemplated skipping that bit, but forged ahead as my beard is so coarse there I might as well not bother shaving if I don’t do ATG.

To my surprise I got through two passes without any blood or irritation picked up by the alum. The end result was a more than acceptable DFS, but I’m not sure this will ever be a daily driver for me, even with more practice or different blade combos. It’s aggressive for sure, but I’m not convinced that it’s efficient....anyway will have another go tomorrow.

To my surprise I got through two passes without any blood or irritation picked up by the alum. The end result was a more than acceptable DFS, but I’m not sure this will ever be a daily driver for me, even with more practice or different blade combos. It’s aggressive for sure, but I’m not convinced that it’s efficient....anyway will have another go tomorrow.

Glad you're embracing the R41 @astinus4.

Status
Not open for further replies.