Status
Not open for further replies.
ZrQ4QsEl.jpg

Soap: Pb 40 Thieves
Brush: Omega 10084
Razor: Muhle R41 Twist
Blade: Vintage Wilky (3)
AS: Squadron/APR Australians All
I didn't learn my lesson from the previous use of the Vintage Wilky in the R41 back in June. Efficient shave that left my face lit up like the Milky Way with weepers just when I had some people turn up to my house. It wasn't a good look.
I'll give 40 Thieves the straight razor test tomorrow which will hopefully vindicate this new soap.

Brush: RR boar
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Astra Blue (2)
Pre: Shower + Nivea Face Wash
Soap: Wholly Kow La Fougere Parfaite

Another early prework SOTD, this time with a winning combination. The Wholly Kow soap performs well with superior slickness and post shave feel. The R41 shaved smoothly when paired with the Astra Blue with no irritation or bloodbath = DFS achieved in 2 simple passes. Finished off with some delightful Brut :love: Happy shaves!

rdZ2JAPl.jpg

Pre: Coconut Oil
Soap: Pb 40 Thieves
Brush: Bernard
Razor: Bengall
AS: APR Alfredus Choice
Aahh, sweet relief after yesterday's rough shave. The Bengall is still performing well with the @bald as applied Jnat edge.
40 Thieves has lost it's immediate post cook volatility and is starting to settle now. Very nice spring fragrance with brightness and freshness. The menthol can turn up a little, it's cool on 2nd pass and cold on 3rd pass. Lather Shot.

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate with 14 mm x 85 mm dimpled handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Coronet Fougere
WTG, ATG with touch ups and adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-4933.jpg

Last edited:

Drew Dick, Jurassic 8/8 smiler
Christy Ash Tray Soap, scum removed
Chubby 2, Super

Well, having scraped off most of the crust the soap did okay. First up, this is the hardest soap that I have ever used, hence the choice of the "wall of badger" in the Chubby. The scent was just old and stale, but at the same time, once lathered didn't really have a scent. As for performance, it was okay, decent enough cushion, but lacked slickness. Using something like this just lets you appreciate how far modern soap makers have come. For example Barrister and Mann's reserve base is ridiculously good when compared to this.

I am taken with the overall presentation though. I like the idea of having something useful (well not for me as I don't smoke) at the end of the soap. Magical marketing. The ashtray will probably fit a Haslinger puck in perfectly so happy days.​

IMG-20191006-114624-01.jpg

CB F OC plate meets King of Oud soap sample from the wonderful @TomG . It's been ages since I tried a PermaSharp and it was a very happy experience as 3 days growth was murdered in 3 passes. The Wholly Kaw experience was interesting as smelling the puck at Tom's house was brilliant but when lathered on my face it had a faint sour note I didn't enjoy quite as much. Performance was impeccable as always.

Date:- 06 October 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Honeycomb (Blue) Synth. Tuxedo 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ St. Barts
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB SS 'D' / Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

FQjHkwXl.jpg

Effortless shave to remove 2 days worth of growth with the open comb C Karve. Only 2 passes needed, barely any pick ups required. Repeat effortless.

Was this helped by the soap? I say yes as compared to the cream of a similar name, this is up in the stratosphere! Blade just glides over the skin.

Finished up with a little Bombora for the perfect trifecta....

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: SV 70th Anniversary shaving soap
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Aqua di Sydney shaving soap splash
Fragrance: Aqua di Gio

I'd forgotten just how good this soap is. Shorts and a short sleeveshirt today - must be summer coming ...

9oJiO98l.jpg

Razor: general ss
Brush: yaqi synth
Soap: Apr saa
Splash: Apr saa.
Bit of a rough shave this morning with the blade getting to the end of its life. Haven't used the o.g Apr base in a while and it is nowhere near as good as I remember it being a step down from the current base and the wholly kaw and b+m soaps I've been using.its still good just not at the top of the pile anymore.

OneBlade
Dovo 22mm Silvertip
Al's Shaving, Goodfellas

Day 4 of this blade and this will be the last. The first pass tugged a bit but still took down the stubble okay. The second and third passes were then very good. I am finding that I can drive this razor around the face with abandon.​

0LWf5ad.jpg

Queens Birthday SOTD
Pre:
Cool water shower
Brush: Zenith Boar (I like this brush but OH LORDY! she's a shedder)
Cream: Hawkins & Brimble
Razor: Parker made in Tokyo from Swedish best silver steel
Post: Proraso Sandalwood & Shea ASL, Proraso Sensitive Balm

A rare lazy day, plenty of time, so broke out a straight this morning. It's been a long time since this razor went for a spin. Holds a really nice edge, twenty laps on leather for a great three pass shave.
Have a Great week all!

Date:- 07 October 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ St. Barts
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock Game Changer .84P / NOS Wizamet Super Iridium #12
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Change of pace tonight --

KWXSR40.jpg

Symmetrical Western style Kamisori.

Honed on a progression of Japanese stones.. The two odd shaped stones are new arrivals, the Kiita is my go to hone.
Boar brush and my soap.
Scuttle lather.
Two passes and DFS as I haven't used a "knife" style blade for a time and it requires a bit more thought when it isn't as familiar as a normal straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.