Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
TyEfTA4.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap,Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: Barrister's Reserve Fern
Razor: Gillette Slim Aristocrat (5)
Blade: NOS Personna P74 Med Prep (8)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Balm
Scent: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus EdC

My first shave with a Barrister's Reserve soap. Being aware of somewhat different lathering techniques best suited to this soap, I checked out a vid in which Will himself explained the soap base and the lathering requirements. I followed this technique, and had no problems. The lather is low profile, but super slick, and with elite residual slickness. The scent was very familiar to me, and it dawned upon me that it was much like the discontinued Sir Irisch Moos. If this was indeed Will's intent, he did a great job.
Dialing the Aristocrat up to 5 resulted in a 3 pass BBS result.

HeoeOabl.jpg

Another shave with the John Frum soap sample. Again reinforced how great it is to use!

Dialled the Karve up to the D plate to really see how the lather performed. Effortless. Perhaps the best soap I’ve used with the D plate so far. Used with an Astra green for the 3rd shave and still good enough to continue with.

What better way than some Florian to finish off and smell good all day!

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Timeless 0.95 SB
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (2)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: B&M Reserve Lavender

That was an amazing shave, I have either learnt to shave properly with this razor or found its perfect blade or it could be both. This morning’s shave was incredibly smooth and comfortable with excellent results with a 3 pass plus touch ups. Finished off with the perfect spring scent of the Florian, which is sadly nearing its end…

You learn something new everyday they say... well, thanks to @tim33z with his similar SOTD choice of mysterious space and Florian. Up to now I incorrectly thought I had a 24mm tuxedo knot where in fact it is a 26mm. I noticed the number 26 under his brush, turned mine upside down and well.... she’s a 26mm.. I had never noticed this number till, yes I feel a little blonde atm :facepalm::shame:(y)

48915901297_7e453b241c_b.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: Timeless 0.95 SB
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (2)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: B&M Reserve Lavender

That was an amazing shave, I have either learnt to shave properly with this razor or found its perfect blade or it could be both. This morning’s shave was incredibly smooth and comfortable with excellent results with a 3 pass plus touch ups. Finished off with the perfect spring scent of the Florian, which is sadly nearing its end…

You learn something new everyday they say... well, thanks to @tim33z with his similar SOTD choice of mysterious space and Florian. Up to now I incorrectly thought I had a 24mm tuxedo knot where in fact it is a 26mm. I noticed the number 26 under his brush, turned mine upside down and well.... she’s a 26mm.. I had never noticed this number till, yes I feel a little blonde atm :facepalm::shame:(y)

48915901297_7e453b241c_b.jpg
Haha - rookie error! :p

Simpsons, Peppermint & Rosemary Cream
Simpsons, Tulip 3, Manchurian
OneBlade + new FHS-10

Really have a love hate relationship with this razor. The problem is that it is too easy to use. It removes the requisite skill to properly drive either a DE or SE, therefore removing the meditative effect of a good shave. However, this razor and blade really do deliver excellent results, with no irritation. 3 super smooth passes this morning for a genuine BBS. The other problem is that the blades do dull quickly and they aint cheap.​

IMG[img]undefined
OKng6V6.jpg

04:00hrs SOTD 18/10/19

Pre: Hot shower, Somersets Original English Shaving Oil, Hot towel
Cream: T & H Ultimate Comfort Unscented
Brush: YAKI Moka Express Two Band Badger
Razor: TI Spartacus 7/8"

Plenty of time for "the works" this AM.
Have a Good Weekend All!
Awesome shave, love the pic too :cool:

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate with 14 mm x 85 mm dimpled handle
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus
WTG, ATG with touch ups and adjusted angles for my beard.
My first use of Ariana & Evans and it did not disappoint. (y)

IMG-4995.jpg

Last edited:
Brush: Proraso (Omega)
Head: Headblade Moto
Face: RR Baby Smooth Al
Blade: Perma Sharp (1)
Pre: Shower + Nivea Face Wash
Soap: EJ Menthol soap
Post: Thayers Aloe & Lemon Witch Hazel // Suavecito Menthol Vanishing Creme

A super smooth, refreshing, soothing SOTD... Haapy shaves!

FyONNCo.jpg

Trialing the YAQIs with B&M Reserve Spice and different methods (UltraLather, Marco, Dry, Face , Bowl) taking advice from members and videos.
Obtaining a good slick lather, even marshmallow peaks if saturated and whipped enough but not enjoying the low structure of this soap.
YAQI's were a definite improvement although I find synthetics messy and end up with more on the neck, shirt and floor than face :)
@nav1 kindly sold me a 23mm Muhle STF black handle and if this doesn't satisfy I relinquish and accept synths are just not for me.
Still managed to find the BBT (Bloody Blade Tabs) even on the Progress. YABA
SOTW:
Brush:
YAQI - Sagrada Familia 24mm Synthetic Tuxedo Knot and YAQI - White Knight 24mm Synthetic Boss Knot
Soap: B&M Reserve Spice
Bowl: Limited Edition P&C 2019 Auction Grey Bowl by Avalon Pottery
Razor/Blade: Merkur – Progress #1 / Polsilver
Post-shave: B&M Reserve Spice

FyONNCo.jpg

Trialing the YAQIs with B&M Reserve Spice and different methods (UltraLather, Marco, Dry, Face , Bowl) taking advice from members and videos.
Obtaining a good slick lather, even marshmallow peaks if saturated and whipped enough but not enjoying the low structure of this soap.
YAQI's were a definite improvement although I find synthetics messy and end up with more on the neck, shirt and floor than face :)
@nav1 kindly sold me a 23mm Muhle STF black handle and if this doesn't satisfy I relinquish and accept synths are just not for me.
Still managed to find the BBT (Bloody Blade Tabs) even on the Progress. YABA
SOTW:
Brush:
YAQI - Sagrada Familia 24mm Synthetic Tuxedo Knot and YAQI - White Knight 24mm Synthetic Boss Knot
Soap: B&M Reserve Spice
Bowl: Limited Edition P&C 2019 Auction Grey Bowl by Avalon Pottery
Razor/Blade: Merkur – Progress #1 / Polsilver
Post-shave: B&M Reserve Spice

Yup, I would agree that if you don't get on with the STF, synthetics are likely not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.