Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Two passes for a DFS.

Date: 21 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Super Adjustable S2 1972 / Vintage NOS Gillette Stainless #1
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

t9409.gif
7 more days to go for the whole month of Arko February shave.

Hey @nav1, I'm curious - you have a big rotation of different soaps, is this purely for the variety in scent if you feel most of the soaps function the same?

The soaps are purely for the enjoyment of this hobby. I like the variety of scents and the way the soaps behave differently to each other in terms of dialing them in. The final lather and function is basically the same.

The only soap that gives me any kind of uniqueness is MWF with it's awesome post shave.
No other soap can match it, no matter how many exotic butters or milks or different tallows they have!

The razor and blade combo is what determines the actual shave for me. The lather is just a medium, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very interesting.

I'm with you on MWF, I could quite happily use it exclusively in fact.

At one stage I was using only MWF, with Speick stick as an occasional change up.

As I am a utilitarian with razors and looking for the closest must comfy shave I can get, so I didn't get in to RAD much. I wanted to enjoy more variety and soaps gave me that.

Using the juggernauts of the artisan soap world has only further reinforced what I suspected about 4 years ago. So I never get caught up in any hype of soap bases or reviews that rate a soap "95/100" or "tier 1" etc. Even my veggie base TOBS soaps, with zero butters, lanolin, milks, waxes etc gives me the perfect shaving lather.

It's a wonderful hobby and I never tell anyone how I think they should enjoy it.
If one gets satisfaction by following reviews of performance then go for it I say.
I'm just sharing my experiences after a decade of traditional wet shaving.

Early start, early shave, earlyish flight north.

Meant to be flying BNE to BDB on Sunday, cyclone permitting of course!

Finished the Uncle Jon’s soap today. It was a very good soap that gave great lather. Yes, I probably used too much as only 21 shaves is quite low. Oh well.

wKAtM7Ll.jpg

Would I buy Uncle Jon’s again? Yes but not this scent. I got a slight burn on the lips as mentioned previously and while it didn’t last, it made me rush the shave some times.

thought i would go retro today and got out the Gillette #16 and chucked in a vintage blade i got of @tim33z

was a nice comfortable shave, but nothing that special that would perk my interest in vintage (thank goodness)

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush:
Yaki Moka Express
Soap: The Warden
Razor:
Gillette #16
Blade: Gillette Spoiler
Post-shave: Proraso Red Splash

thought i would go retro today and got out the Gillette #16 and chucked in a vintage blade i got of @tim33z

was a nice comfortable shave, but nothing that special that would perk my interest in vintage (thank goodness)

Philistine!

The #16 is the best, most beautiful closed comb razor 'in the world' (TM Jeremy Clarkson)

Date: 22 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Rocket HD500 made in England 1950's / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #13
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

t9411.gif
6 more days to go for the whole month of Arko February shave, man! this smelly urinal cake is driving me bloody NUTS!!

Last edited:
Shower
Feather Artist Club non-folding DX kamisori
Feather Pro Super blade (1)
Derby Lavender Cream
P&C Platypus 26mm fan
Re-lather and cold rinse

A nice BBS. I've been running my DE experiment for over six months and am now going back to the Artist Club. I surprised myself that I could pretty much pick it up where I left off. Just like riding a bike!

The razor or the blade? or both?

hard to say but would point to the razor.. i have exclusively shaved with the same blade throughout the pass-around to keep things apart from a razor as neutral as possible, but couldn't resist the temptation of an all round vintage experience

i say the razor cos i gave my mate a blade to try and he absolutely loves the spoiler blades so i am guessing i will also.. might try the wolfman with the spoiler for my last shave with luxury.. or might chuck in a feather

Status
Not open for further replies.