Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Wholly Kaw / The Club Madison Avenue LE shaving soap
Razor: Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: NOS Wilkinson Sword 'French Browns' (5)
Post-shave: Wholly Kaw / The Club Madison Avenue LE aftershave splash
Fragrance: N/A

Same same with reused photo :)

Nice still

tC2L0D3l.jpg

Pre: Shower and Mister Joe glycerine soap
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Soap: B&M Bay Rum
Razor: Karve CB with OC-A plate
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Post: Thayers Rose Petal/APR Bombora/Soap Commander Respect balm.

First go at using any type of open comb today, and it was a struggle. Perhaps it was the A plate, but i found that i had to have the angle perfect to get any cutting action. Because of this, i went with a 3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG (normally do WTG then ATG with touch ups). On pass 2, i noticed a bit of blood on my moustache area, so the A still held plenty of aggression it seems.
I imagine that to get the correct angle with an open comb, the aim is to not see the 'tracks' in the lather after taking a stroke?? Using this analogy, my shave got better as i went along anyway.
I finished up and thought it was a pretty shitty shave, hence the abundance of post shave usage, but sitting here 2 hours later, my face feels quite fine for a daily shave. I should leave the OC for days of more than a days growth though it seems.

Soap: I had to pummel the outta ring into the centre after loading today, so i think only 2 more shaves will remain, which ends Barrister and Mann March on a perfect note.

I would have taken a photo today, but after i felt it was not a great shave, i didnt want to be reminded of it. However, the open comb looks a seriously cool razor (if that's possible with the Karve anyway).

Finally, to all Karve users, do you generally find that you tend to ride the cap for a better shave, especially on the lower plates? I imagine the E or F would require more guard, but would love to hear feedback. Thanks.

XxGEMIml.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: Pb Black Rose
Brush: 26mm TF KBBB
Razor: GEM Junior 'Parade'
Blade: GEM (3)
This takes the shave of the week for me for comfort and efficiency.(y) Very nice.
As I was taking the shot I was getting rained on by debris from Green/Red Parrots in the tree above me eating the berries from the tree. One was happy to poke his head out to see who was trying to talk to him.
Odc3GCLm.jpg
3FirFeKm.jpg

Timeless Bronze CC
Timor blade
Haslinger Sandelholz
Milk Churn​

Last sample from the P&CTB and wow, an almost epiphany. This is a hard soap and there was no way that I was going to be able to load it from the pot so I took a large sample and spread it around the base of my lathering bowl. Far more than I would have normally loaded by swirling on the puck. What resulted after some serious lathering and addition of water was a really thick, creamy lather that did an amazing job. The residual slickness was the best that I have experienced from any soap that I have used. Yes, this is only one result and it will take more attempts to get a final verdict, but, based on this morning I love Haslinger. However, the scent disappointed. I would rate this as only a 2 out of 10. For me, the scent is a big part of the shaving experience and this let me down. If I could get Truefitt & Hill's sandalwood scent on this soap I would be a very happy chappy.

lather shot for those who like such things

First go at using any type of open comb today, and it was a struggle. Perhaps it was the A plate, but i found that i had to have the angle perfect to get any cutting action. Because of this, i went with a 3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG (normally do WTG then ATG with touch ups). On pass 2, i noticed a bit of blood on my moustache area, so the A still held plenty of aggression it seems.
I imagine that to get the correct angle with an open comb, the aim is to not see the 'tracks' in the lather after taking a stroke?? Using this analogy, my shave got better as i went along anyway.
I finished up and thought it was a pretty shitty shave, hence the abundance of post shave usage, but sitting here 2 hours later, my face feels quite fine for a daily shave. I should leave the OC for days of more than a days growth though it seems.

Soap: I had to pummel the outta ring into the centre after loading today, so i think only 2 more shaves will remain, which ends Barrister and Mann March on a perfect note.

I would have taken a photo today, but after i felt it was not a great shave, i didnt want to be reminded of it. However, the open comb looks a seriously cool razor (if that's possible with the Karve anyway).

Finally, to all Karve users, do you generally find that you tend to ride the cap for a better shave, especially on the lower plates? I imagine the E or F would require more guard, but would love to hear feedback. Thanks.

Hey @tim33z, I use the ‘D’ Plate on my Karve and I don’t ride the cap....Give it a few goes and I’m sure you’ll hit the angle that best suits....😎😎😎

Pre: Shower
Razor: Karve CB (OC C)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: Omega 48
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post: B&M Reserve Classic Aftershave, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I didn't quite have enough regrowth to justify a shave with the OC C plate today but went at it regardless. Again very smooth and efficient, with a lovely BBS result. The B&M Reserve Classic smells great, my only complaint would be the scent strength is on the weak side and I would like the scent to last longer on my skin. Perhaps more product will fix that! All in all, a nice start to the weekend :cool:

Hey @tim33z, I tend to ride the cap more whether using the lower or higher plates but ymmv. I find that when my angle goes towards the guard is when I get bitten. This is the opposite of my Rockwell 6C which I tend to lean the other way with more towards the guard. Sometimes with the lower plates like B, because it is not as efficient I find myself using pressure to make it more efficient and that can also result in nicks. The lower plates also have a smaller angle range to be effective at cutting the hair due to the smaller blade gap.

Hey @tim33z, I tend to ride the cap more whether using the lower or higher plates but ymmv. I find that when my angle goes towards the guard is when I get bitten. This is the opposite of my Rockwell 6C which I tend to lean the other way with more towards the guard. Sometimes with the lower plates like B, because it is not as efficient I find myself using pressure to make it more efficient and that can also result in nicks. The lower plates also have a smaller angle range to be effective at cutting the hair due to the smaller blade gap.
Thanks for this response - this is how i feel also. When i first got the 6S i would ride the cap, but over time i learned to switch to riding the guard. Now i have to "train" myself to reverse this again on the Karve. I also understand your point about a smaller angle range on lower plates. I'm on the lookout for a D if anyone has a spare they aren't using...

IMAG0402.jpg

Brush: PAA Green Ray
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
Razor: Timeless Bronze SB
Bowl: Pereira's Unbreakable bowl
Soap: Pereira's Charcoal Soap
Post: APR Bombora splash + Vaseline Aloe Moisturiser cream

A absolutely delightful near BBS. Love the heft, smoothness & finish of this DE and it pairs extra well with the Polsilver, as judged by the odd weepers it gave me. Awesomess glidness from the soap and finished off with the hevenly scent from APR :) Winner winner chicken dinner!

Yes, the lower plates require more cap as the exposure is negative/neutral.

I have to get the perfect angle on the C plate by riding the cap whereas I can get a more natural feeling angle with the D plate (which is what I use daily).

I won't be getting the OC plates for the reason you've stated. I really dislike them as they require too much effort for angle maintenance.

KarveD w/Polsilver
Yaqi two band finest
Mystic water - ginger spice
Gaia ASB

This is probably my favorite badger brush so far. It just does everything perfectly!

The MW soap requires a really heavy load with hair brushes as it's the old formula. I got a great lather but a synthetic is much more suitable for MW.

20190329-100023-01.jpg

Date: 29 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Platypus P&C LE 2017 24mm Fan Manchurian White
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell R4 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #13
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

m0112.gif
2 more days to go!! for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: RAW RS-10, Mild Plate
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Group Captains Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.