Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Taj Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Flying Hide
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacets #7
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Tough going with Feather's in the Rocca. Unlike smooth shaving with the Merkur 34C, ended up with nicks and weepers aplenty...
That was a treat I had lined up for this week. Maybe another time. Feathers haven't had much use here since I discovered Nacets and Gillette Yellows.

...Fine Snake Bite Aftershave Tonic...
So a subtle aroma of putrefying mice? Hmmm, lovely. :unsure::LOL:

Feathers haven't had much use here since I discovered Nacets and Gillette Yellows.
giphy.gif

@Bicep123

That was a treat I had lined up for this week. Maybe another time. Feathers haven't had much use here since I discovered Nacets and Gillette Yellows.

So a subtle aroma of putrefying mice? Hmmm, lovely. :unsure::LOL:
“The Original Burn & Quench,” Snake Bite Tonic "Burns like the devil, freezes like the rockies, and cures all that ails you.":mad:

Weekend Shaves

IMG-20210117-204124.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes T-400 24/52mm Frank Shaving G4 // AP Shave Co. 24/55mm SynBad Fan
Razor: Merkur 37C // Leaf Razor
Blade: GSB (2) // Astra Blue x3
Pre: Shower
Soap: AP Reserve Coolabah LE
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS

Two enjoyable shaves with great results. I've had a few shaves to play with each new knot and they both feel great with the G4 winning it for density and SynBad for softness. Ideally I'd have reversed the loft size for each but the ferrule and knot dimension made it tricky so stuck with it as overall they both produce decent lather.
I hope to try these knots in a larger size as they both compliment my Tuxedo knots well but for the time being I'll settle for the 24mm as they get the job done.
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

I was leaning more toward a WR1 but unsure what gap and found the WR2 .95 & 1.05 on the milder side. :unsure:
I'm happy to postpone things as loving my Rocca's too much! :)

the wr2 is an excellent razor as is the wr1, which I am thinking about :)

With the wr2, did u want more, less or the same efficiency as the rocca? Sorry can’t offer advice on wr1

got a 4 day growth I’m going to introduce to the rocca tomorrow 👍

Last edited:

Well, ymmv, etc... they may really work for you. The first shave with the feather wasn't too bad. This second one, just cuts and weepers everywhere (well 3 of them, but I haven't felt the sting of a styptic pencil in a while). So, going through my sampler, looks like Gillette yellows are the best for the Rocca. The feathers are the best for the Merkur 34C. Not sure which one for the Rockwell 6S yet. GSBs work pretty well. But I might give it a try with a Wizamet next.

58-C26-E1-F-1-D01-4525-A214-D01-E02-E38487-1-201-a.jpg
[/url]

A wonderful lather from Hampshire Wool Fat Unisex Shaving Soap; a new soap to me. I purchased for about GBP £3-£4 for a 70g puck from Dr Ratna Tantra’s UK store on the bay (Ratan-8865). A tallow soap with a moisturising post shave, the lanolin I assume, and fragranced with essential oils, a combination of cedarwood and patchouli, I found the scent relaxing and refreshing at the same time, if that is not an oxymoron!. In any event it is a steal for Brits, for such a great performing soap with no bloody synthetic anything in it. The Semogue 2020 LE Boar is coming along nicely giving a great face feel. A beautiful handle to hold and to look at, but being brutally objective, Omega boar knots still hit the spot better for me.

I have not tried new DE blades for years but I have been comparing and contrasting two of Lord blades the Silver Star and Asco with their venerable standard the Shark SS. I suspected all of Lord’s PTFE coated stainless steel blades would be the same, but these three blades are different, each with their own characteristics. If you enjoy Shark SS, you will likely also enjoy the Silver Star (a smidgen sharper with less direct blade presence than the Shark) and the Asco (not quite as sharp as the Shark but oh so mellow). I was so impressed with both blades that I purchased a shed load of each. So all in all some wonderful shaves this week.

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shave brush
Soap/Cream: APR General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Vintage British Gillette #15 Aristocrat
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (3)
Post-shave: APR General Ledger splash
Fragrance: APR General Ledger EDP

My magic pudding splash *might* have been refilled along the way ...

MIvNry2l.jpg

the wr2 is an excellent razor as is the wr1, which I am thinking about :)

With the wr2, did u want more, less or the same efficiency as the rocca? Sorry can’t offer advice on wr1

got a 4 day growth I’m going to introduce to the rocca tomorrow 👍

Ideally I'd aim for same smoothness & blade feel as the Rocca but a step up in efficiency. From memory WR1 standard SB nearly matches the Rocca for consistent BBS shaves that leave my trouble spots even and irritation free, where as WR2 required more effort and felt like my Smart Helix or CG L2.

I'm cautious to try a step up in WR1 as that means added blade feel and WR2 I read many recommending the 1.25 gap but from your experience and others how much of a step up from the Rocca is this gap...?

I'm in no rush and would like to try the Timeless .95, SLIM and Apollo Outlaw in the future as all seem like a good match for what I'm seeking.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Yaqi - Red marble 24mm silvertip
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Confluence
Razor: Rex - Envoy
Blade: Gillette - Minora (5)
Post-shave: Declaration Grooming - Confluence AS splash / Luck Tiger - Face Moisturiser

2 pass WTG = DFS+. Fantastic daily shave. This Minora blade has so far been great. The first shave was the sharpest, then the blade has settled and still fairly sharp, the smoothness is really up there with the smoothest blades. I now believe this blade is it's own blade and not another rebrand from one of the other PPI blades. The Envoy has never been that smooth for me with all the blades I have tried so far, it has just been ok. Shave 5 and the blade is even smoother than the previous shaves, while still not dropping off on effciency. Since I have been blade flipping, I have experinced much better lifespan from most razor blades.

The Soap, Declaration Grooming - Confluence. Scent Strength medium for the soap, and strong for the splash. This was DG last soap release for 2020. Scent Notes Frankincense, palo santo, benzoin, elemi, cedar, black spruce, atlas cedar, juniper and fir balsam. This to me is a really nice sweet, spicey, woody fougere scent. I really like how the palo santo replaces the lavender to compliment the juniper as the top notes with its citrusy lemon scent, and also acts as a middle note complimenting the elemi. The base notes speak for themselves, very, woody, green, and also sweet thanks to the frankensense.

This scent is light for the first hour and then really deepens down as time goes on and is also what I would define as masculine to be worn for all occasions. Although go easy on it if wearing during the day the dry down is strong. My last soap for 2020 and its a winner for me. 2 thumbs up (y)(y)

Razor: Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette 7’oclock Yellow
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mew Brown
Soap: B&M Vespers

Getting lazy.. 2 shaves in 12 days :eek: The Rocca sorted this 4 day growth out without any issue but I did notice the first pass was not at close as the WR2 I used last week… @Razor Burn the WR2 1.25 is certainly more efficient by a couple of notches but just as smooth, it’s a great razor but the only one I need to tackle with a steep angle and the feather is most certainly tamed and very smooth with this angle in this razor.

50846911411_ec382bd2e7_b.jpg

Razor: Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette 7’oclock Yellow
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Mew Brown
Soap: B&M Vespers

Getting lazy.. 2 shaves in 12 days :eek: The Rocca sorted this 4 day growth out without any issue but I did notice the first pass was not at close as the WR2 I used last week… @Razor Burn the WR2 1.25 is certainly more efficient by a couple of notches but just as smooth, it’s a great razor but the only one I need to tackle with a steep angle and the feather is most certainly tamed and very smooth with this angle in this razor.

50846911411_ec382bd2e7_b.jpg
Cheers for the heads up as I value your opinion as you own two razors that I'm leaning towards trying in a future date - WR2 1.25 & Timeless .95.
Happy Shaves buddy! ;)

Now @Razor Burn mentions another new razor the Apollo Outlaw .

How long can he keep the sabbatical charade up ? :LOL:
To clarify things for you s#$t stirrers!

I had my name down for an Outlaw in Copper late 2020 but declined as wasn't too sure it would shave as good as my beloved Rocca's or Apollo.
Instead I invested in a few Alpha Brushes and have no regrets despite seeing exclusive pictures of the finished Copper Outlaws.
Rest assured stirrers I will not be adding anything to my collection barring Charity Auction goodies and have all of 2021 to convince me whether I really need an extra razor, brush or soap. :p

Cheers for the heads up as I value your opinion as you own two razors that I'm leaning towards trying in a future date - WR2 1.25 & Timeless .95.
Happy Shaves buddy! ;)

always welcome mate.. I would say in order rocca and T95 around the same with a just a little more efficiency with the T95 SS SB (wr2 equivalent would be a 1.15)

im also trying to go the year without a purchase but the lupo or the wr1 is calling my name.. 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.