Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
First shave with a Castle Forbes Cream. Impressive performance. The scent is a very natural and woody cedar, which dominates the sandalwood.
I didn't know CF made a cedar/sandalwood soap, sounds nice. I've seen a lot of bitching and whining on "that other forum" about how Castle Forbes is somehow inferior to "modern" soaps, but I don't get it. I get a fantastic lather with my CF lavender, and it's as slick as I could want. Lasts forever, too, even with my profligate loading.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shave brush
Soap/Cream: APR General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Vintage British Gillette #15 Aristocrat
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (4)
Post-shave: APR General Ledger splash
Fragrance: APR General Ledger EDP

Even have those days ...

I cut myself on the cheek, on the downward with the grain stroke.

I could feel myself applying pressure as I did it.

I have no idea why.

I'm bleeding.

I deserved it.

Lesson learnt, again.

For now at least ...

MIvNry2l.jpg

IMG-20210118-203243.jpg

Brush: Alpha Shaving Brushes BetaHive Cu 28mm SHD Fan
Razor: Rocca V4 R95 Birch Bark
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (4)
Pre: Shower
Soap: AP Reserve Coolabah LE
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

Shaving bliss!!!
Happy Shaves!

Why used two Nivea aftershave, unless you’re only shaving your face instead of your bare head???
Why use both at same time...? Well for starters I can! The Lotion acts as a refreshing lotion and the balm sooths the skin.
Both are very light and the balm reminds me of Proraso white, just minus the scent.
Also - not Irish but visited and loved every minute + they make good alcoholic beverages :)

Pre-shave: Neutrogena hydro boost facial wipes
Brush: Yaqi - Moka Express 24mm Mew Brown.
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - Turkish Coffee
Razor: Rex - Envoy
Blade: Gillette - Minora (6)
Post-shave: Arinana & Evans - Turkish Coffee AS splash / Post Shave Serum

2 pass WTG = DFS+. Another fantastic daily shave. Tried out my wifes stock of Neutrogena hydro boost facial wipes before I ship it off to her later this week. Wholy Moly, she was right.:eek: What a fantastic pre shave. Not only does clean the entire face and ears, it also leaves it hydrated and plump.
This Minora blade keeps getting better. The blade is great so far, the blade flip has picked up efficiency from yesterday's shave with no sacrifice to smoothness. To think I was going to BST the Envoy as I could not find a blade that made the razor smooth enough to my liking for a mid aggresive razor. To me so far this blade is sharper and just as smooth as the wizamet. If it can reach 10 shaves and give me a BBS then I will purchase 1000 blades. ( Africa what have you been hiding from the rest of the world:cool:).

The Soap, Ariana & Evans - Turkish Coffee. This soap and splash were given to me as a Christmas present from my family with a few other bits and pieces.( thanks guys, and thanks to my wife for getting me something I actually like. :coffee::) ) Scent strength is strong for the soap, and medium for the splash. Scent notes, Bergamot, Arabic Coffee, Fig, Cedarwood, Cardamon, Australian Sandalwood. First off the scent is very gourmand scent. Warm and inviting the scent notes blend very well. I like the fig and bergamot as the top notes, these are really nice additions to liven up the scent. Cardamon and coffee go hand in hand creating that sweet spicy cocoa aroma, while the cedarwood and Australian sandlewood adds a creamy woody note. Note I did receive a slight tingley burn sensation when applying the splash that has nothing to do with the shave, that went away in a minute. Could be from one of the EO ( probably Australian sandlewood ).

For me I really liked this soap, and I intend to use this regularly. The scent I would define as neutral, best suited to use in colder weather or as an everyday, and could be worn by both men and woman as the dry down several hours later is partiality sweet and woody. Two thumbs up (y)(y).

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Flying Hide
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock Mission / Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow #6
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water

sotd1.png

Pre-shave: Hot water
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Hamami
Razor: Razorock GC-JAWS
Blade: Gillette 7OC SharpEdge Yellow (2)
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF50

Shamelessly recycling my pic here, but recycling is said to be good for the environment. Counting the days until this soap is finished, it's getting very close (3 or 4 days?). By this stage, I usually find myself hammering the soap to finish it off, but I'm still enjoying it while it lasts.

The Soap, Ariana & Evans - Turkish Coffee. This soap and splash were given to me as a Christmas present from my family with a few other bits and pieces.( thanks guys, and thanks to my wife for getting me something I actually like. :coffee::) ) Scent strength is strong for the soap, and medium for the splash. Scent notes, Bergamot, Arabic Coffee, Fig, Cedarwood, Cardamon, Australian Sandalwood. First off the scent is very gourmand scent. Warm and inviting the scent notes blend very well. I like the fig and bergamot as the top notes, these are really nice additions to liven up the scent. Cardamon and coffee go hand in hand creating that sweet spicy cocoa aroma, while the cedarwood and Australian sandlewood adds a creamy woody note. Note I did receive a slight tingley burn sensation when applying the splash that has nothing to do with the shave, that went away in a minute. Could be from one of the EO ( probably Australian sandlewood ).

Excellent review @rhodes96 . With all the references to gourmand scents you must be a bit of a gastronome?

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Vintage Klenzo
Soap:- Stirling - Executive Man
Razor:- Gillette Slim (L1)@5
Blade:- Wizamet (14)
Aftershave:- Stirling - Executive Man

O3JHwL9.jpg

Dusting off some of the vintage gear ready for birthday shaves.

Excellent review @rhodes96 . With all the references to gourmand scents you must be a bit of a gastronome?

I wouldn't say I am gastronome , but I am generally fussy with food...... and wine, and coffee, and now thanks to this forum and shave soap. :giggle:

Last edited:
90JszqG.jpg

Pre: water
Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: Oumo 28mm TH
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Softhearts: Brew-Ha-Ha

Off the puck and lather, it smells like sponge cake doused in coffee liqueur (the puck even looks like cake with parts coming to the surface). I know there's beer in there, but it doesn't smell 'beery,' the beer just adding a boozy quality to the background. Other reviewers have mentioned cherry notes, but I can't smell them, Maybe after I've shaved with it a few more times. Kind of made me hungry while shaving. Softheart is as good as it was in Paganini's Violin.

2nd go of the Nacet. Shaves preeeety good actually. Might be as good as the Gillette 7oC yellow. Lets see how long this one lasts.

IMG-20210119-190729.jpg

Brush: Proraso (Omega) Professional 28mm Mid Loft Boar
Razor: Rocca V4 R94
Blade: Muhle (3)
Pre: Shower
Soap: AP Reserve Coolabah LE
Post: AP Reserve Escentials Restoration Serum // The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml // Mr Royal Cologne
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

Shaving Bliss 2.0!
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Culmak shave brush
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming / Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender shaving soap
Razor: Vintage British Gillette #15 Aristocrat
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (5)
Post-shave: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender splash
Fragrance: Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender EDP

Works out better if you are concentrating

ph4fCdYl.jpg

s3.png

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost facial wipes
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Hamami
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: No-name (Tyrael?) Chinese AC blade from Yaqi Shaving (1)
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF50

The recommendation for the Neutrogena wipes came from @rhodes96 yesterday. Not sure how it went: the blade seemed quite tuggy on the first pass, which is what happens when my skin is too hydrated to support the stubble (which is why I don't pre-shave with hot shower or towels), but could also easily be a QC issue with the blade. Subsequent passes went fine. Tomorrow I'll try a half/half treatment with a different blade.

One thing those wipes definitely are good for is removal of that sunblock at the end of the day: leaves the skin feeling lovely, though I do have to rinse off the residue to prevent irritation.

Status
Not open for further replies.