AFTERSHAVE: Proraso Red

20210120_081610-jpg.1210665

A fine wid-week shave

s3.png

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost facial wipes
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter Hamami
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: No-name (Tyrael?) Chinese AC blade from Yaqi Shaving (1)
Post-shave: Shower, TND, Nivea Balm, Neutrogena Hydro Boost SPF50

The recommendation for the Neutrogena wipes came from @rhodes96 yesterday. Not sure how it went: the blade seemed quite tuggy on the first pass, which is what happens when my skin is too hydrated to support the stubble (which is why I don't pre-shave with hot shower or towels), but could also easily be a QC issue with the blade. Subsequent passes went fine. Tomorrow I'll try a half/half treatment with a different blade.

One thing those wipes definitely are good for is removal of that sunblock at the end of the day: leaves the skin feeling lovely, though I do have to rinse off the residue to prevent irritation.

My other half loves those wipes from everything including makeup removal to cleansing at night before her silly whitening creme. I just thought I would try it out to see what all the fuss was about. I have to give her credit, they are pretty good at cleansing the face especially if you don't have any water around. I might try one on the post shave and bypass the AS and balm for a comparison as it has some of that hyaluronic acid that appears to be the in thing ingredient currently.

...I might try one on the post shave and bypass the AS and balm for a comparison as it has some of that hyaluronic acid that appears to be the in thing ingredient currently.
I didn't know people still did whitening cream. Far out...:unsure: I'll be curious to hear how you get along with it as an AS routine. I would find it a bit sticky for comfort.

Pre-shave: Warm Shower
Brush: Wolf Whiskers - custom 30mm blackwolf
Soap/Cream: Grooming Department - Otium
Razor: Rex - Envoy
Blade: Gillette - Minora (7)
Post-shave: Chatilion Lux - AS toner unscented / Oaken Lab AS Balm

1 pass WTG + touchups = BBS. How the hell did I BBS in 1 pass WTG ??? I am pretty sure I drifted off in cruise control and shaved on the residual slickness. FANTASTIC shave again. This is an outstanding razor and blade combo. Those with the Rex Envoy or Ambassador on setting 3/4 should definately try out the Gillette Minora blade. It may even work well in the Rocca.

The Soap, Grooming Department - Otium. I was not going to give my mini review on the soap as @Bicep123 gave a great review himself. My experience with the soap has a different view on the scent.

Soap Scent is strong off the puck, also whilst lathering and light to medium for a few hours on the dry down. Scent notes, Bergamot, Maté Absolute, Artemesia (Wormwood), Mint, Osmanthus, Jasmine Sambac and Musk. As you can see it's quite a potent soap, and I was careful to use post shave products that didn't interfere with the scent. By the way, the soap has a good post shave feel alone, although the post shave products I selected took the post shave feel to the next level. ( great products work well together. Zero greasiness and very hydrated smooth plump skin.(y))

As per the scent notes this is a Dark Oriental scent. Top notes are bergamot, mint, Middle Notes, mate absolute, artemisia, Jasmine sambac, and Base note of musk. Where do I start ? What does it smell like? It smells exactly like the scent notes:). The mate absolute adds a green tea/ tobacco scent, artemesia gives a slightly green bitter herbal note, the Jasmine sambac adds a sweeter dark floral accord. The middle notes of this scent are the key to its complexity and tying in with the tops and base note, although they are all florals none of them really give a true floral note, as the artemesia tones down the sometimes dominant jasmine floral note. The mint adds a very slight fresh accord, although it is not overpowering and really well done. The bergamot surprisingly is not overpowering and adds just the right amount of citrus sweet accord initially then disappears. The musk is strong in this one, and adds animality and staying power to the scent. For those that don't like musk, stay away you have been warned whingers :p.

A dark, exotic, very masculine oriental scent that could be worn in colder months or an evening on the town. This one I believe worthy of splash or EDT.
For me I really really like the scent and have absolute respect to the perfuming talents of the artisan that created it. It's a two thumbs up from me (y)(y)

Last edited:
What does it smell like? It smells exactly like the scent notes

So, after your scent review, I had to open up my tub of Otium and have another huff. A little citrus, a little herbal, a little floral, but not a lot of musk. It kind of reminds me of Pine-O Cleen. I mean, I know it doesn't smell like Pine-O Cleen, but the scent out of the tub reminds me of floor cleaner. I can't explain it. It's like how Noble Otter Rawr reminds me of a freshly opened can of tennis balls, that heady mix of nylon and glue that signify "new ball" smell to me. I really should shave with it again.

8hiHT1e.jpg

Pre: water
Razor: Muhle Rocca R96
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: Oumo 26mm Motherlode
Soap: Noble Otter - Firefighter

A total FOMO purchase that had I known B&B were going to stock it, I would have bought another soap instead. I think this is my first aquatic. It's not a scent I'm familiar with at all, so I have nothing to compare it to. It's basically like Davidoff Cool Water with grapefruit (or as much of Cool Water as I can remember, the last time I smelled it was quite a while ago). As mentioned in its promo, there are no smoke or fire elements in the scent, which is good, because I'm not a fan of smoky scents. NO V3 base lathers well and provides good slickness and cushion. I put it slightly under the top 5 for me (DG Milksteak, WK Siero, BM Excelsior, ZM Sego, AE Kaizen) in the same performance range as Spearhead 20.1.

So, with the motherlode, I went and reset the loft again. This time down to 51mm. It looks a lot tighter now, almost like a 24mm knot. The increase in backbone is offset by lack of splay. I really think 53mm is the best loft height for this knot. Will probably reset the loft again (hopefully for the final time). Like I said before, it draws water like nobody's business and you really need to squeeze out the excess before loading, or you end up with a ton of proto-lather before the soap starts to load properly into the fibres. Once loaded though, face lathering is a breeze and for the density of hair, the super fine-ness of each fibre meant good flow-through while at the same time having the face feel of lathering with velvet. It's fun to use and a good alternative to badger on days you don't feel like badger.

I went and reset the loft again. This time down to 51mm. It looks a lot tighter now, almost like a 24mm knot. The increase in backbone is offset by lack of splay. I really think 53mm is the best loft height for this knot. Will probably reset the loft again (hopefully for the final time).
For a 24mm knot by looking at the picture above the loft height would be best either 53mm or 54mm. IMO!

So, after your scent review, I had to open up my tub of Otium and have another huff. A little citrus, a little herbal, a little floral, but not a lot of musk. It kind of reminds me of Pine-O Cleen. I mean, I know it doesn't smell like Pine-O Cleen, but the scent out of the tub reminds me of floor cleaner. I can't explain it. It's like how Noble Otter Rawr reminds me of a freshly opened can of tennis balls, that heady mix of nylon and glue that signify "new ball" smell to me. I really should shave with it again.

Pulled this soap out of the drawer for a comparison on the amount of musk in each scent. Off the puck to me, they are both strong scented soaps with base note of musk being very prevalent. Where as Sukura musk is sweet and bright, Otium is sweet and dark. Musk is one of those interesting scents some people are anosmic to certain musk scents and other people are hypersensitive, and find the scent very cloying, I know that Sukura Musk uses a white musk, not sure which musk GD use in Otium. I had quick read on a few reviews and yes there are people who cannot smell the musk in both soaps.

The reference to Rawr smelling like tennis balls, your on your own on that one.:)

The reference to Rawr smelling like tennis balls, your on your own on that one.:)
I didn’t think Rawr smells like a bloody tennis ball, because, I’ve NEVER smell a tennis ball. Unless you know how to smell your own sweaty testicles after you wear your under pants all day, so your on your own on that one Muppet.

IMG-20210120-220205.jpg

Brush: RR 26mm Blonde Boar
Razor: Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2 Antique Brass SB + Stinger V1 handle (P&C LE 2019/20 Charity Auction)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (5)
Pre: Shower
Soap: AP Reserve Coolabah LE
Post: The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 30 ml // Mr Royal Cologne // TSW After Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

That's 3 Blissful Shaves in a Row!!! :love:
Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Rooney shave brush
Soap/Cream: APR Lightning Ridge shaving soap
Razor: Vintage British Gillette #15 Aristocrat
Blade: Vintage NOS English Wilkie (6)
Post-shave: APR Lightning Ridge splash
Fragrance: APR Lightning Ridge EDP

Focus on what you are doing ...

D2tPFiGl.jpg