Weekly Razor Review

Le Maurice (France)

For the release of their first Le Maurice, there were many options available; three different metals, five different handle styles, two lengths, full of hollowed out handles, four different styles of plates and three different efficiency levels. That’s a big inventory for a company starting out, all are designed and machined by one artisan so I hope supply can be maintained when the venture takes off. In an email from Augustin, I was advised that he would be starting my razor next week, the penny dropped - the razors are made to order. I choose the handle with the diamond pattern in the short option, hollowed, the middle of the road 1.0mm SB plate and all in 316L stainless steel with a smooth satin finish. Delivery of the razor to Australia was set up when I pushed the ‘Buy Now’ button making the purchase so much less stressful.

Positioned on the top of the plate are the round blade posts, five lather grooves are machined down each side and blade clamping is accomplished on two large flats immediately inside the lather grooves. Machined to be very light, the cap has blind holes for the blade post and big blade clamping flats. When the Le Maurice is advertised with a hollow handle, they are 100% correct, the hole measures a massive 9.5mm x 58.6mm deep; nothing has been done to disguise the hole, it is in the end of the handle for all to see. A chamfer has been machined onto the end of the handle post, and it works well in lining up the handle for assembly.

No beating about the bush, it’s straight to the top shelf of razors, the le Maurice was so confidence inspiring and smooth. With its close shaving action, whiskers were wiped away as simply as you like leaving the face so smooth and a resultant pleasant to feel. Efficiency was about Karve CB level #C, maybe a tad higher and with a minute amount of blade feel. Le Maurice is one of those razors that just performs so effortlessly that you wonder why there is any need to explore the field further. Of course I will, and as good as the Le Maurice is with the 1.0mm plate, I think the 1.2mm plate would be better. Look out Augustin, there will be an order for a titanium Le Maurice with a 1.2mm plate coming. A very well-made and great shaving razor.

Blades Used – Gillette Silver Blue and Tatra

Material – 316L Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 87g

Head Width – 43.01

Handle Length – 83.04mm

Handle Diameter – 13.99mm

Availability – Atelier Durdan

Final Word – No hassle shave
Great review! Some good looking handle options, unfortunately everything seems to be out of stock on their site.

Stahly Live Blade Vibrating Razor (USA)

I’d never thought of purchasing or had even heard of anything like the Stahly but Old Mate who sold me the baby rattle, Seygus DE 2015 had one for sale and that aroused my wanting to try a vibrating razor. Shaving should be fun so here was a chance to have a crack at something unique, so I bought one; in the end I got it for about 1/2 the price Old Mate was asking. Coming with an instruction sheet, I had the opportunity to read up on it before I had to work it out how to operate it myself. Production of the Stahly commenced after WW2 – 1946 to 1947 seems to be the period where they were most active, but they were available till the 1970’s. Some come in very upmarket packaging but mine was in a clear plastic case, so it’s the poverty pack version. Allowing for the fact that there is a spring wound mechanical mechanism housed in the handle, it is still of gigantic proportions. Not till I measured the length of the handle did I realised that at 87mm it is smack bang on my preferred length of handles; it’s the handle’s girth that gives the optical illusion, being so far out of proportion. Of regular appearance, the cap has bullet shaped blade posts including an alignment notch and wide blade clamping flats that mate with flats on the plate. Its plate is a collection of five parts; centre section, end plates and corrugated cylindrical edges that look like they may rotate but are fixed in position. In the places where I can see bare metal, I’m going to say that it is brass but what the handle is made from, I cannot tell. Three different finishes were available but mine is chrome plated.

It looked like a common thread on the handle post so ever the inquisitive, I tried fitting a variety of modern heads to the handle, no go. Mine is said to be from 1946 and while it may have been lightly used, it is in very good condition and hadn’t been used in a long time. I did not want to push my luck too much by over winding the old spring, but the vibrations only lasted for about 30 seconds initially. In the instruction sheet there was mention that the mechanism worked better with age; after only three or four wind-ups the vibrations were lasting out to 60 seconds but by that time their frequency had slowed right down. If I was not able to get more than 40 seconds of effective vibrations, there was nothing for it but mid shave wind-ups during each pass. With clear instructions to keep moisture out of the end of the handle, soapy hands and a clumsy operator, mid pass wind-ups looked like being a challenge. In the couple of weeks leading up to the review I sat the Stahly alongside the computer so I would wind it up and let it run down as I was sitting there. Wind ups went further and run times increased to something like 90 effective seconds, but I would still have to wind it up during each pass.

Big and cumbersome – yes, but really not too bad when its size was considered; the Stahly needed to be held a bit differently to other razors, but it felt comfortable and secure in the hand. Vibrations from the Stahly felt like hair clippers on the back of the neck if the barber is taking his time, soothing but not overpowering. What impressed me with the Stahly was that long passes could be accomplished without my normal method of breaking long passes into a series of short strokes; pushed up rolls of skin had the opportunity to reposition during each vibration. Even my feared wind ups did not pose any problems, damp hands had plenty to grip on and the procedure was quite simple. Before you ask, it will still shave without vibrations. I was caught out on a couple of occasions when I was getting near the end of the shave and vibrations stopped, I just carried on without any detriment to the shave. For a razor with an efficiency of around a Karve CB Level #C the shave was amazingly close and certainly smooth. It would be interesting to use a vibrating razor where the handle dimensions could be reduced to somewhere near standard dimensions. I enjoyed the experience offered.

Blades Used – Gillette Wilkinson and Gillette Super Stainless Red

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 163g

Head Width – 41.98mm

Handle Length – 87.20mm

Handle Diameter – 18.92mm – Bulb 28.52mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – Adds an extra dimension

I’d never thought of purchasing or had even heard of anything like the Stahly but Old Mate who sold me the baby rattle, Seygus DE 2015 had one for sale and that aroused my wanting to try a vibrating razor. Shaving should be fun so here was a chance to have a crack at something unique, so I bought one; in the end I got it for about 1/2 the price Old Mate was asking. Coming with an instruction sheet, I had the opportunity to read up on it before I had to work it out how to operate it myself. Production of the Stahly commenced after WW2 – 1946 to 1947 seems to be the period where they were most active, but they were available till the 1970’s. Some come in very upmarket packaging but mine was in a clear plastic case, so it’s the poverty pack version. Allowing for the fact that there is a spring wound mechanical mechanism housed in the handle, it is still of gigantic proportions. Not till I measured the length of the handle did I realised that at 87mm it is smack bang on my preferred length of handles; it’s the handle’s girth that gives the optical illusion, being so far out of proportion. Of regular appearance, the cap has bullet shaped blade posts including an alignment notch and wide blade clamping flats that mate with flats on the plate. Its plate is a collection of five parts; centre section, end plates and corrugated cylindrical edges that look like they may rotate but are fixed in position. In the places where I can see bare metal, I’m going to say that it is brass but what the handle is made from, I cannot tell. Three different finishes were available but mine is chrome plated.

It looked like a common thread on the handle post so ever the inquisitive, I tried fitting a variety of modern heads to the handle, no go. Mine is said to be from 1946 and while it may have been lightly used, it is in very good condition and hadn’t been used in a long time. I did not want to push my luck too much by over winding the old spring, but the vibrations only lasted for about 30 seconds initially. In the instruction sheet there was mention that the mechanism worked better with age; after only three or four wind-ups the vibrations were lasting out to 60 seconds but by that time their frequency had slowed right down. If I was not able to get more than 40 seconds of effective vibrations, there was nothing for it but mid shave wind-ups during each pass. With clear instructions to keep moisture out of the end of the handle, soapy hands and a clumsy operator, mid pass wind-ups looked like being a challenge. In the couple of weeks leading up to the review I sat the Stahly alongside the computer so I would wind it up and let it run down as I was sitting there. Wind ups went further and run times increased to something like 90 effective seconds, but I would still have to wind it up during each pass.

Big and cumbersome – yes, but really not too bad when its size was considered; the Stahly needed to be held a bit differently to other razors, but it felt comfortable and secure in the hand. Vibrations from the Stahly felt like hair clippers on the back of the neck if the barber is taking his time, soothing but not overpowering. What impressed me with the Stahly was that long passes could be accomplished without my normal method of breaking long passes into a series of short strokes; pushed up rolls of skin had the opportunity to reposition during each vibration. Even my feared wind ups did not pose any problems, damp hands had plenty to grip on and the procedure was quite simple. Before you ask, it will still shave without vibrations. I was caught out on a couple of occasions when I was getting near the end of the shave and vibrations stopped, I just carried on without any detriment to the shave. For a razor with an efficiency of around a Karve CB Level #C the shave was amazingly close and certainly smooth. It would be interesting to use a vibrating razor where the handle dimensions could be reduced to somewhere near standard dimensions. I enjoyed the experience offered.

Blades Used – Gillette Wilkinson and Gillette Super Stainless Red

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 163g

Head Width – 41.98mm

Handle Length – 87.20mm

Handle Diameter – 18.92mm – Bulb 28.52mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – Adds an extra dimension
WOW! I didn't l know that you've got a personal love toy vibrator in your bloody den @Errol

An interesting idea obviously ahead of its time. Do you have any idea how the vibration acts? (Back/forth, left/right etc...) I once tried one of those Gillette vibrating cartridge thingies, but that failed to impress, and it got sent to landfill. Hopefully the steampunk clockwork version is an improvement. :unsure:

An interesting idea obviously ahead of its time. Do you have any idea how the vibration acts? (Back/forth, left/right etc...) I once tried one of those Gillette vibrating cartridge thingies, but that failed to impress, and it got sent to landfill. Hopefully the steampunk clockwork version is an improvement. :unsure:
@Gargravarr I had to get the Stahly out to determine where the vibrations were coming from. What @SpeedyPC alluded to seems to be the case, there is more vibrations in the handle than at the head. Having said that the flats on the head vibrate more than the ends of the head, but that's where the vibrations should be directed. Hope this assists.

What @SpeedyPC alluded to seems to be the case, there is more vibrations in the handle than at the head. Having said that the flats on the head vibrate more than the ends of the head, but that's where the vibrations should be directed. Hope this assists.
the-voice-shakeweight.gif

Hone Type 15S – Stainless Steel

Hone’s inventory has long included razors machined from brass and aluminium and there was even a titanium version of their unique 15 series razor, but somehow a stainless steel version was missing. In 2021, Hone commenced production of a stainless steel razor but that venture had to be halted when the machine shop tasked to produce it could not deliver the consistent quality Hone demanded. Rather than releasing an inferior product, Hone pulled the plug on the project, refunded all the pre-production purchases and searched out a capable machine shop. This 15S is one of the early production razors released in February this year.

Fitting a shorter 88mm long handle to the Hone Type 15S was the first change noted over the brass Type 15 reviewed last year, 13mm has effectively been lopped off the end of the handle. Not only was the razor more maneuverable, but it was better proportioned and there has been an effective weight loss of 24g. I still recommend that Hone run a drill up the end of the handle to further lighten the handle. With a handle shoulder flaring out of the back of the plate, gentle curves across the width and rounded ends, the plate is really the centre piece of the razor. As a consequence of the extra thickness in the flared handle shoulder, the handle post on the cap has to be made longer to compensate. Quality machining is obvious on every part and the satin finish is the icing on the cake.

Feather blades were included with the package therefore it was a Feather blade first up. Hone’s 15S is a heavy razor, there is no getting away from that; there are many areas where weight could be pared from, but I doubt that is ever going to eventuate. As a shaver it is very effective, doing a sterling job of mowing down the whiskers with its smoothness and delivered comfort being its crowning glory. Efficiency is only about that of a Karve CB level #C but with a pleasant amount of blade feel it provided very creditable results. I never checked my comments on the original brass Hone 15 till I completed a couple of shaves; they parallel each other, no difference in results between the various metal models was observed. While there is no knurling on the handle, the matte finish provided positive grip and at no time did it feel like the 15S was getting away from me. Hone’s 15S is a pleasing enough razor to use but the big problem remains as the excess weight it carries.

PS.

Hey Andrew, a bronze 15B would be nice.

Blades Used – Feather and Glatz

Material – Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 160g

Head Width – 43.72mm

Effective Handle Length – 88.22mm

Handle Diameter – 13.47mm

Availability – Hone

Final Word – Put it on a diet

Hone Type 15T - Titanium

Hone’s 15T titanium razor is the flagship of the Hone range and was a limited release of 22 razors. Strange quantity, maybe it’s Andrew’s girlfriend’s unit number so ever the inquisitive, I had to ask - why make 22 razors? 22 is the atomic number for titanium. (It’s surprising how many times that question comes up in quiz shows, I can demonstrate how clever I am, and I don’t even know what an atomic number is). Now that it’s been established that 22 razors were produced, there may well be only 21 of the Hone 15T razors in existence. In my dealings with post and courier companies they have generally delivered at some time however the first Hone Type 15T sent simply disappeared into thin air, never to be seen again. Hone were great to deal with and wanted to send a replacement long before I accepted that the first one had gone astray. Being the flagship of the range, the 15T came as a complete shaving package with all the bells and whistles, a solid, branded, wooden storage box, two different length handles - 100mm and 85mm, a titanium handled shave brush with synthetic knot (so that will stay in the box) and a handmade two-tone leather case. For this review I’m using my near perfect length of razor handle, the 85mm one. Hone’s 15T retains all the features of the 15 series of razors but by using titanium and selecting the shorter handle option, the weight has been significantly reduced from the 15S reviewed last week, looking forward to the lighter model.

Hone razors and Feather blades go hand in hand but I used Feathers in the 15S last week, so I chose something different for the first blade this time around; a Gillette Rubie. I wasn’t expecting there would be much change in efficiency from the 15S but again, I was proved wrong. Efficiency has increased to be on the lower side of Karve CB Level #D. That increase in efficiency has made so much improvement to the performance of this Hone. Without the ongoing weight training everything felt so much improved and the shorter handle made the 15T so much more maneuverable. While the 15T is an exclusive razor and its value would depreciate if another titanium 15T was released, it is so much better in all respects to the two other offerings I’ve sampled from Hone. I don’t know how Andrew is going to keep me and the other 20 Hone 15T owners happy and release another titanium Hone, the world deserves them.

Blades Used – Gillette Rubie and Wizamet Polsilver

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 85g

Head Width – 43.93mm

Effective Handle Length – 84mm

Handle Diameter – 13.44mm

Availability – Out of Production

Final Word – Pick of the Hone range

s the atomic number for titanium. (It’s surprising how many times that question comes up in quiz shows, I can demonstrate how clever I am, and I don’t even know what an atomic number is).
For the record, the atomic number is the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom. (To be pedantic, the relationship breaks down a bit with some of the heavier elements.)

Tatara Closed Masamune Nodachi Ti Line (Portugal)

Unlike a couple of other exclusive brands of razors that have promised titanium razor and have so far failed to deliver, Tatara was true to their word and delivered their three different titanium models as scheduled. I was lucky enough to secure both the Masamune and Masamune Nodachi in titanium, this week I’m reviewing the Tatara Closed Masamune Nodachi Ti Line. If it wasn’t for the obvious weight difference between this and the stainless steel version, it would be near impossible to distinguish the two razors by looking at them. I could have grabbed the description from the stainless steel version and insert here and it would be the same, but I won’t.

There was a cap of quantity 100 Masamune Nodachi Ti produced so I thought they may have been given serial numbers, but they weren’t. Engraved on the back of the plate is the Tatara logo, NODACHI and Ti. Both the plate and cap are very thin with elongated blade posts on the cap mating into blind grooves in the plate. These plate grooves have a cross piece at their outer ends, I cannot see a reason for the ‘T’ shape groove, but it is a distinguishing feature of Tatara razors. Wide flats on the cap match with corresponding flats on the plate to produce positive blade clamping. Just like it’s stainless steel variant, the handle is too long and could do with 20mm lopped off the end. A shoulder on the end of the handle fits inside a hole machined into the plate preventing a nylon washer being used and significantly, off the shelf handles will not work. It is a very smart satin finish that completed the package, very similar to the familiar stainless steel finish.

It’s a good thing I’ve used Feather blades before and knew that their first shave can sometimes be a little rough, problem was, it was more than a little rough. I’d used the stainless steel Nodachi previously and had a fair idea what I was letting myself in for, but the results achieved on that first shave were defiantly not what was expected; weepers abundant and the delivered shave was anything but smooth. Second shave with the Feather and then to the Gillette Super Stainless Red blade allowed the Nodachi Ti to perform at its optimum best; a different razor, the results improved and were very close to what was expected. Karve CB Level #D efficiency, a comfortable and smooth shave were the order of the day. While not overly excessive, the blade feel certainly made sure you kept your wits about you, this razor will retaliate for bad technique. With the uncertainty of the first shave with Feather blades, I cannot comprehend why Tatara would include them in their packaging, there are far better blades if you are trying to create love on the first shave. I am a fan of the Masamune Nodachi Ti and have no hesitation in including it with my top shelf razors.

Blades Used – Feather and Gillette Super Stainless Red

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Blade Tab – Exposed

Weight – 64g

Head Width – 41.42mm

Handle Length – 105mm

Handle Diameter – 12.45mm

Availability – Tatara

Final Word – Select the right blade

Yaqi Silverfox (China)

Yaqi now has access to CNC machining and for the last 12 months have been churning out new models in stainless steel and even a brass adjustable. I gave up trying to keep up with them, but I do have a couple. I find it difficult to gain enthusiasm for a lot of them, their designs have been borrowed from reputable (and some, not so reputable) companies and some not instantly recognisably, look pretty crappy. One I did purchase was the Silverfox and it’s the subject of this week’s review. Only 100 (I think they may have dropped a zero or two) have been made for the worldwide market, the suavest razor ever produced by Yaqi, I’m meant to feel like James Bond and you’re supposed to be envious that I have one – let’s wait for a while before we jump to conclusions.

It’s generally accepted that the Razorock Lupo is a clone of the Wolfman WR1; that being the case, what do you call the clone of a Lupo? Not a Wolfman, that’s for sure. As soon as my eyes spotted the Silverfox, there it was - another Lupo. Whenever I pick up a new razor one of the first things I do is unscrew the handle to inspect the workmanship. Half a turn on the handle and I thought the head was going to fall out of the handle, the thread engagement is horrible; Yaqi head, Yaqi handle, and it came as a bundle, no excuse. Missing from the plate are the Lupo scallops along its leading edge, but apart from that, not much is changed visually from the Lupo; blade clamping is at the outer extremities of the cap and a thin profile cap remains. Yaqi have done an incredible job in polishing the Silverfox except for the underside of the cap where machine marks are abundant.

Here is a razor that delivers a smooth and close shave with Karve CB Level #C efficiency. There was a very comfortable amount of blade feel, I would rate it as similar to the Lupo and it was more than sufficient to deliver a very comfortable shave. Lupo 72 is the answer to your question. If only Yaqi had done a decent job with the thread engagement, the Silverfox would have been a truly great economic razor. Come on Yaqi, CNC machines are capable of delivering incredibly close tolerances so pay a decent operator to programme the machinery; you’re close with this one, but you need to do a bit more homework.

Blades Used – Gillette 7’Oclock Black and Derby Extra

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 88g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 90.92mm

Handle Diameter – 10.00mm

Availability – Wet Shaving Company

Final Word – No Aston Martin with this one

Yaqi Silverfox (China)

Yaqi now has access to CNC machining and for the last 12 months have been churning out new models in stainless steel and even a brass adjustable. I gave up trying to keep up with them, but I do have a couple. I find it difficult to gain enthusiasm for a lot of them, their designs have been borrowed from reputable (and some, not so reputable) companies and some not instantly recognisably, look pretty crappy. One I did purchase was the Silverfox and it’s the subject of this week’s review. Only 100 (I think they may have dropped a zero or two) have been made for the worldwide market, the suavest razor ever produced by Yaqi, I’m meant to feel like James Bond and you’re supposed to be envious that I have one – let’s wait for a while before we jump to conclusions.

It’s generally accepted that the Razorock Lupo is a clone of the Wolfman WR1; that being the case, what do you call the clone of a Lupo? Not a Wolfman, that’s for sure. As soon as my eyes spotted the Silverfox, there it was - another Lupo. Whenever I pick up a new razor one of the first things I do is unscrew the handle to inspect the workmanship. Half a turn on the handle and I thought the head was going to fall out of the handle, the thread engagement is horrible; Yaqi head, Yaqi handle, and it came as a bundle, no excuse. Missing from the plate are the Lupo scallops along its leading edge, but apart from that, not much is changed visually from the Lupo; blade clamping is at the outer extremities of the cap and a thin profile cap remains. Yaqi have done an incredible job in polishing the Silverfox except for the underside of the cap where machine marks are abundant.

Here is a razor that delivers a smooth and close shave with Karve CB Level #C efficiency. There was a very comfortable amount of blade feel, I would rate it as similar to the Lupo and it was more than sufficient to deliver a very comfortable shave. Lupo 72 is the answer to your question. If only Yaqi had done a decent job with the thread engagement, the Silverfox would have been a truly great economic razor. Come on Yaqi, CNC machines are capable of delivering incredibly close tolerances so pay a decent operator to programme the machinery; you’re close with this one, but you need to do a bit more homework.

Blades Used – Gillette 7’Oclock Black and Derby Extra

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 88g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 90.92mm

Handle Diameter – 10.00mm

Availability – Wet Shaving Company

Final Word – No Aston Martin with this one
giphy.gif

Karve Overlander – Brass (Canada)

Karve Shaving have released their Overlander model to sit alongside the highly acclaimed Christopher Bradley range in their line up. It’s hard to believe that the Christopher Bradley has been around for four years, so it is hoped that Karve learnt something during that time to incorporate into the Overlander. There are wide flats on the cap that marginally overlap the corresponding flats on the plate ensuring that the blade is clamped securely. Love them or hate them, the cut-outs that were a feature on the cap of the original Christopher Bradley have disappeared and in the process the head is now long enough to fully cover the blade. A newly designed handle with a light diamond pattern and longitudinally grooving is fitted; it feels solid and positive. As with the majority of Karves sold, it’s a pleasant bead blasted finish that adorns the Overlander. There are no options available for the Overlander, what you have is all there is to play with, no choice of plates and one handle length, however, I see there is now a stainless steel version available to go with the brass and aluminium versions.

Karve have learned something (read - a lot) from their own experience and must have listened to the feedback from their customers; the Overlander is one very decent razor. With no real sensation of the blade on beard feel, it was difficult to determine just how efficient the Overlander was, but in the end I’ve slotted it into the high side of the Karve CB Level #C. These is a small amount of positive blade protrusion and this makes the razor so smooth to use and it simply wipes away the whiskers. No effort is required to obtain a close shave but the highlight of the Overlander was how safe it feels in use. I’m sure someone can work out how to cut themselves, but for me it was as safe a razor as I’ve ever used. Karve’s Overlander is a magical razor; no doubt about it, this razor is good.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Tatra

Material – Brass

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 111g

Head Width – 43.8mm

Handle Length – 90.21mm

Handle Diameter – 12.03mm

Availability – Karve Shaving

Final Word – Effortless performance

Karve Overlander – Brass (Canada)

Karve Shaving have released their Overlander model to sit alongside the highly acclaimed Christopher Bradley range in their line up. It’s hard to believe that the Christopher Bradley has been around for four years, so it is hoped that Karve learnt something during that time to incorporate into the Overlander. There are wide flats on the cap that marginally overlap the corresponding flats on the plate ensuring that the blade is clamped securely. Love them or hate them, the cut-outs that were a feature on the cap of the original Christopher Bradley have disappeared and in the process the head is now long enough to fully cover the blade. A newly designed handle with a light diamond pattern and longitudinally grooving is fitted; it feels solid and positive. As with the majority of Karves sold, it’s a pleasant bead blasted finish that adorns the Overlander. There are no options available for the Overlander, what you have is all there is to play with, no choice of plates and one handle length, however, I see there is now a stainless steel version available to go with the brass and aluminium versions.

Karve have learned something (read - a lot) from their own experience and must have listened to the feedback from their customers; the Overlander is one very decent razor. With no real sensation of the blade on beard feel, it was difficult to determine just how efficient the Overlander was, but in the end I’ve slotted it into the high side of the Karve CB Level #C. These is a small amount of positive blade protrusion and this makes the razor so smooth to use and it simply wipes away the whiskers. No effort is required to obtain a close shave but the highlight of the Overlander was how safe it feels in use. I’m sure someone can work out how to cut themselves, but for me it was as safe a razor as I’ve ever used. Karve’s Overlander is a magical razor; no doubt about it, this razor is good.

Blades Used – Gillette Nacet and Tatra

Material – Brass

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 111g

Head Width – 43.8mm

Handle Length – 90.21mm

Handle Diameter – 12.03mm

Availability – Karve Shaving

Final Word – Effortless performance
giphy.gif

@Errol you're driving me bloody crazy and I don't need another soooooooooooo smooth as a
LK91Bde.gif
Karve Overlander in bloody brass.

Homelike Start 2 – 1.40mm (Russia)

My Start 2 was in my hands before sanctions on Russian goods were announced. Homelike describe the Start 2 as the next stage in the development of the Start; an update without changing the main geometry so I’ve selected a plate not used previously – the 1.40mm plate. With both the Start and the Start 2 laid out in front of me, the visual difference is the addition of machining to the edge of the plate on the Start 2, there’s none on the Start. Wide blade clamping flats do a great job of clamping the blade at the outer extremity of the cap. Sure, there are cosmetic changes, engraved information on the back of the plate, different finishes, polished this time and fitted with a Wolfman WRH7 inspired handle, but not a lot of visual change to the head. Homelike advertise a machine polished finish and it is very well executed even if they did miss the underside of the cap altogether.

Eight hours later and I was still rubbing my chin and smirking to myself at how good the shave felt; just under Karve CB Level #D efficiency, smooth and certainly close, the Start 2 fitted with the 1.40mm plate provided me with brilliant shaves. There was some blade feel, very pleasant and well within my comfort zone. An inspiring feature of the Start 2 was how solid it felt and with its WRH7 styled handle fitted was balanced right on that front grip section. As is to be expected, the web site was not working when I checked recently, so explaining how good the Homelike Start 2 is of little use as they cannot be purchased. I’m looking forward to the sanctions being lifted so I can order a couple (well at least one) of the OC plates that were previously advertised, I enjoyed the Start 2 and have now found at least one plate in their inventory that suit my requirement.

Blades Used – Derby Extra and Sputnik

Material – AISI 316L Stainless Steel

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 112mm

Head Width – 43.15mm

Handle Length – 95.04mm

Handle Diameter – 14.23mm

Availability – Sanctioned out

Final Word – Impressive