Weekly Razor Review

You are 100% correct there. If the initial angle was sharper the whole problem would be solved. Have a look at the cap on the Stando. They have a sharp angle on their’s with angles on the cap and it is fine.
As for Klinker, sorry for being a week late with my reply, I usually check out every week your razor review but got into an annoying pre-xmas hurry. :banghead:
I remembered that your first encounter with a Yates razor, that didn't end in satisfaction either, so kinda think this type of head isn't quite yours, I like the Yates heads way more.

Stando is on another level compared to them though, not even the EH plate from Yates can compete. Someone on B&B polished his Stando razors, I cursed my lack of patience and skill in this regard, because the Stando razors polished are just amazing...
I use a guided angle sharpener for my knives for a reason, I know why razor makers don't want to polish their razors themselves, how much work is involved, and how hard it is to find someone who wants to do it, and to do it well...

I like my razors either machined (shiny enough for me, I totally don't mind some marks), but bead- or sandblasted, satin/matte finishes... just not my thing. Electro polish or the machined polish by Razorock is good enough for me, but apparently still not a viable choice for most smaller makers, unfortunately. I also prefer my razors not to be coated with anything. Steel is resistant enough, most other alloys used as well. And if there is no coating, no coating can get off over time, that's my line of thought...^^

What held be back to get a Stando OC so far was so far the finish. I guess it is also a prime reason why I don't get along with the Greencult 2.0 razor, it has a beadblasted finish and a weird heavy handle that is neither long enough for my liking, nor short as people asked for. It's really aggressive with plate IV. The infamous R41 as comparison, I have a much easier shave with that one compared to the GC 2.0 plate IV.

Barbaros TR-3 OC (Turkey)

Bullgoose offered a very limited release of the Barbaros TR-3 open comb razors earlier in the year that I managed to sleep right through. Since that point, I’d been looking around for a TR-3 but stock was thin on the ground so when I seen Split 7 had a TR-3 (plus a TR-2 plate) listed as blemished stock, I grabbed one. I like a quality bead blasted finish on most razors but for reasons I cannot explain, with Barbaros I much prefer a polished finish. Not that it was required to tip the scales in the decision to purchase but it was advised that this lot of blemished razors would be the last of polished Barbaros razors, all their future razors would be supplied with a bead blasted finish. Purchasing blemished razors can be very iffy, you might end up with a near perfect razor, a real dog or somewhere between. I was anxious as I opened the Barbaros package for the first cursory glance, but everything looked good. Later when I had time to study the TR-3 in detail, I failed to see any blemishes on the razor, it’ll do me at that price. Included in the purchase was a TR-2 plate; I’ve seen where some users are saying there are subtle variations in feel between the older 316 stainless steel version and the later 304 stainless steel versions of the TR-2. I now have both versions so I’m looking forward to a back to back review at some time.

Barbaros’ TR-3 is the OC version of the safety bar TR-2 and comes supplied with a Kalyon handle; a handle with grooved pattern extending down the length of the shaft and radial grooves around the front, centre, and rear of the handle. Wide flats machined into the thin cap are to some extent wasted, the clamping surface on the plate rests about mid point on the flat of the cap.

Wow! That shave was nowhere near what I was expecting. I had used the Barbaros TR-2 in titanium so I was expecting something along similar lines, but with maybe a little more efficiency because of the open comb. No way - the TR-3 is aggressive, well in excess of Karve CB Level #D, has an overload of positive blade and has loads of feedback through the open comb. It’s obvious from these results that the shave was not smooth and to add to the discomfort, the blade was trying to shave under the surface of the skin resulting in cuts and weepers on each shave. A Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow blade is generally considered a well rounded blade with better than average performance; if I was using something like a Feather blade I may be better able to understand the results, but this time, the blade cannot be blamed. I’d had enough of the TR-3 after two shave and packed it away. As mentioned, the TR-3 was purchased from blemished stock, but I cannot consider that the blemished razors would differ in the critical shave dimensions, surely Barbaros could not do that, could they? This razor is not for me.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow

Material – 304 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 111g

Head Width – 41.88mm

Handle Length – 84.85mm

Handle Diameter – 14.07mm

Availability – Split 7 (Turkey)

Final Word – Horrible

Wishing everyone a safe and Merry Christmas. Enjoy your family time together.

Final Word – Horrible
the-office-ouch.gif

Barbaros TR-3 OC (Turkey)

Bullgoose offered a very limited release of the Barbaros TR-3 open comb razors earlier in the year that I managed to sleep right through. Since that point, I’d been looking around for a TR-3 but stock was thin on the ground so when I seen Split 7 had a TR-3 (plus a TR-2 plate) listed as blemished stock, I grabbed one. I like a quality bead blasted finish on most razors but for reasons I cannot explain, with Barbaros I much prefer a polished finish. Not that it was required to tip the scales in the decision to purchase but it was advised that this lot of blemished razors would be the last of polished Barbaros razors, all their future razors would be supplied with a bead blasted finish. Purchasing blemished razors can be very iffy, you might end up with a near perfect razor, a real dog or somewhere between. I was anxious as I opened the Barbaros package for the first cursory glance, but everything looked good. Later when I had time to study the TR-3 in detail, I failed to see any blemishes on the razor, it’ll do me at that price. Included in the purchase was a TR-2 plate; I’ve seen where some users are saying there are subtle variations in feel between the older 316 stainless steel version and the later 304 stainless steel versions of the TR-2. I now have both versions so I’m looking forward to a back to back review at some time.

Barbaros’ TR-3 is the OC version of the safety bar TR-2 and comes supplied with a Kalyon handle; a handle with grooved pattern extending down the length of the shaft and radial grooves around the front, centre, and rear of the handle. Wide flats machined into the thin cap are to some extent wasted, the clamping surface on the plate rests about mid point on the flat of the cap.

Wow! That shave was nowhere near what I was expecting. I had used the Barbaros TR-2 in titanium so I was expecting something along similar lines, but with maybe a little more efficiency because of the open comb. No way - the TR-3 is aggressive, well in excess of Karve CB Level #D, has an overload of positive blade and has loads of feedback through the open comb. It’s obvious from these results that the shave was not smooth and to add to the discomfort, the blade was trying to shave under the surface of the skin resulting in cuts and weepers on each shave. A Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow blade is generally considered a well rounded blade with better than average performance; if I was using something like a Feather blade I may be better able to understand the results, but this time, the blade cannot be blamed. I’d had enough of the TR-3 after two shave and packed it away. As mentioned, the TR-3 was purchased from blemished stock, but I cannot consider that the blemished razors would differ in the critical shave dimensions, surely Barbaros could not do that, could they? This razor is not for me.

Blades Used – Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow

Material – 304 Stainless Steel

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 111g

Head Width – 41.88mm

Handle Length – 84.85mm

Handle Diameter – 14.07mm

Availability – Split 7 (Turkey)

Final Word – Horrible

Wishing everyone a safe and Merry Christmas. Enjoy your family time together.
As always, thanks, Errol. Merry Christmas to you as well my friend.

Simple Clean Shave (SCS) – Model A (USA)

Stainless steel inserts in a 6061 aluminium billet was the catalyst for this purchase of this SCS – Model A razor. Other manufacturers have used harder metals for the threaded parts of aluminium razors but it’s not a common practice. Robert Bennett, the man behind Simple Clean Shave (SCS) designed and manufactured the razor to be durable and in continuation of that concept finished the razor with a thick black anodising. Stainless steel blade posts and a handle post have been inserted after the anodising process and a helicoil has been screwed into the end of the handle making the thread engagement very smooth. Blade clamping is achieved on wide, curved radiuses on the outer edge of the cap that match with corresponding surfaces on the plate. Blade posts are located on the top of the plate and large sections at its back are recessed providing an appealing and professional appearance. SCS claim that the design is totally new and their own design, but it has those looks that remind me of a Henson; I’ll use it before I comment further.

No need to wait too long for further comment, where’s that file? I could fix this bastard, but I’m not going to. Remove those boofy flats from the cap and this might be a half decent razor. Yes, those steep angled flats at the edge of the cap ride on the skin making maintenance of the shave angle critical; in fairness to SCS, this tendency is not as bad as in some other razors I’ve used. Where I find that this causes the most grief is on the down strokes on the neck; the end of the handle is virtually on the lower neck/ chest and all the razor wants to do is pivot on the cap. Those blokes who design and machine these razors obviously don’t share my physique or employ down strokes on their necks to test their razors; the remedy is so simple, employ a sharper angle or use a round top on their cap just like about everyone else does. Efficiency wise, the SCS is around the Karve CB Level #C setting and has a pleasing amount of blade protrusion. It’s a smooth and close shave so SCS has that part of the recipe right. All SCS need to do now is ditch that Henson designed cap and they will have a very useable razor; a bit more efficiency would also be appreciated.

Blades Used – Gillette Minora and Howard

Material – 6016 Aluminium with 18-8 Stainless Steel threaded inserts

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 39g

Head Width – 42.93mm

Handle Length – 88.69mm

Handle Diameter – 11.83mm

Availability – Etsy

Final Word – Just another razor

"Just another razor"?? :ROFLMAO: So keeping exalted company with the Mühle birchbark Rocca... :unsure: :banghead: :ROFLMAO:

Where IS that ban stick ...

Just to be clear - this is @Gargravarr trying to put words into @Errol's mouth! There is no review of the Mühle Birchbark Rocca on this site ...

Where IS that ban stick ...

Just to be clear - this is @Gargravarr trying to put words into @Errol's mouth! There is no review of the Mühle Birchbark Rocca on this site ...
My bad, that was the Mühle R94 V4. Same razor as the birchbark though (as he mentions in the review) - maybe that was why it's "another razor"... :unsure: :p

Last edited:
Razor of the Year 2022

There was a wide-ranging selection of razors to sort through for my Razor of the Year for 2022. As expected, some were exceptional, some fair and one was downright ugly and shaved just as bad; those remaining fitted into the jigsaw somewhere. Without any beating around the bush, my choice as Razor of the Year for 2022 was the REX Konsul Slant Adjustable. Rex’s Konsul is acknowledged as the first adjustable DE slant razor to be offered to the shaving public and as such merits its place in shaving accomplishments. It was reviewed earlier in the year and despite mine having a QC glitch that was rectified after contacting REX, it came through trumps against such respected razors as the Lambda Athena, Le Maurice, Haircut and Shave 083 Aggressive, Karve Overlander. Even though I review quite a number of adjustable razors, I much prefer the simplicity of a good quality three piece razor, but it was that first stroke with the Konsul that set it up, just so smooth and to the Konsul’s credit, it just kept on delivering incredible shaves at all settings - a worthy winner.

When I purchased my first Paradigm Razor in 2017 it was machined from titanium, a revolution at the time; there was a small number of BBS-1’s in titanium and a few Wolfmans (same factory) and that was about it as far as titanium razors went. Now, just about every manufacturer has at least one titanium model and production of titanium razors is not slowing down, in fact it has grown and continues to grow in momentum. I’m very passionate about titanium razors so I’m in my element right now as companies keep releasing their new Ti models. Like all fads, this culture will change and another material will become the go to, I’m thinking something like bronze, maybe even a ceramic razor. Production of copper and aluminium razors appears to have slowed but brass and stainless steel remain popular.

There are two razors that have deliberately not been reviewed and have not been included in the Razor of the Year for 2022 - there may be some that have slipped through. One is the Rocnel Sailor Adjustable, read the reviews for the last three of four years and not much appears to have changed; for the second razor, the company decided to dick me around, so I’ll review their razor at some other time. Below is a summary of the razors tested in 2022 that were eligible for Razor of the Year:

• Green Cult – Stainless steel, hand machined, long and coloured handle, aggressive, ample blade, close shave, very good but already superseded
  • Lambda Athena – Bronze, well presented, work of art presentation case, even better looking razor, very usable and close to my personal parameters, a combination of beauty and function
  • Golden Beard Handmade – Machined in brass, supplied with both SB and OC plates, highly polished, 1930’s style, works well with different blades, very smooth, mild
  • Barbaros TR-2 Ti – Titanium, bead blasted finish, responds well to different blades, enjoyed the Feather blade, very smooth
  • Asylum Rx V2 – Metal injection manufacture, stainless steel, highly polished, a razor that delivered a superb shave, will win a lot of friends
  • Blackland Era – Stainless steel, created by 3D printing, comparable in looks to a satin finish, smooth and close shave, Era production has been discontinued, very good
  • Hone 15S – Stainless steel, second attempt at a stainless steel version after a false start last year, shorter handle than the Hone 15, excessively heavy, bead blasted finish, no knurling, mid efficiency and smooth.
  • Homelike Start 2 – Stainless steel, highly polished, superb shave, cannot be procured because of Russian sanctions
  • Oceanus Brass Stateroom – Brass, bow shackle on the handle - whatever for? handle too thin with little grip, delivered a good shave
  • Razorine Flatboy – Brass, face of plate is flat, comfortable shave, good
  • REX Konsul Slant Adjustable – Machined stainless steel, first adjustable slant, impressive performance right through the range of settings, pleasant amount of blade feel throughout the range, a champion
  • Haircut and Shave 083 Aggressive – Titanium, top quality machining, machine finished, aggressive by name only, superb shave
  • Matti Lindholm – Stainless steel, handmade, low cost, loads of blade feel and aggressive
  • Design 94 Titanium – Ugly
  • Asylum Rx Injector – Produced by metal injection, stainless steel, polished, more aggressive than the Rx V2, blade feel, I enjoyed the V2 more.
  • Tatara Closed Masamune Nodachi Ti Line – Tatara titanium, long handle, satin finish, mid efficiency, smooth
  • Barbaros TR3 – 304 Stainless steel, polished, purchased as blemished stock but I cannot see why, OC version of the TR2, aggressive, overload of blade feel, excessive feedback from the open comb, uncomfortable, not impressed
  • SCS Model A – 6061 Aluminium with stainless steel inserts, thick black anodised finish, Henson style cap spoils what could be a good razor, just another razor
  • Focus Tritok Concave R62 – 316 Stainless Steel, high quality polished finish, not a lot of bend placed on the blade, mid efficiency with minimal blade protrusion, a delight when combined with a Feather blade
Bring on 2023 to see what special delights are revealed.

Errol’s Razors of the Year

2017 Razorock Babysmooth Ti

2018 RAW Shaving RS-10

2019 Smart Helix Apollo

2020 Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm

2021 Blutt BR-1 Rasur

2022 REX Konsul Slant Adjustable

Whilst I can't compare this razor to many others on your list I can say that the REX Konsul is a very beautiful razor. I did finally get the hang of the REX Ambassador but the Konsul just hit the right mark for me. The only thing that troubles me about it is that for some strange reason the stand that I bought many years earlier does not fit the Konsul as nicely as it does the Ambassador. For some strange reason it appears the hole in the bottoms of my Ambassador is more narrow than that of the Konsul. I don't know if there were any slight changes to the design of the stands and the Ambassador after my models but it does wobble. I could go into more detail about some slight differences between the two bottom knobs but I don't think many people are interested.

If I could go back and buy the Konsul again and could get it in the polished version I certainly would. There are still some machining marks under the top cap for those that are concerned about such things but it makes no real difference at all in regards to performance. It's a very good razor and is nowhere near as harsh as the Ambassador can be. There is blade feel but it is not menacing at all.

I wanted to compare the Konsul and Ambassador to the Denali but as you know that despite paying for it has not materialised and @Tryphon has since gone silent. It's very disappointing so I can't compare the razors at all as far as those three go. I can't completely blame him as USPS at the time were not processing orders to Australia. As I said disappointing but I digress. As far as the Konsul goes it has a good range and capacity for excellent shaves.

I must have missed your review on the Lambda Athena. I'm on the waiting list for the Athena and am due for it around march. I am glad to hear your comments regarding the razor as it may be my last for quite some time.

Last edited:
Razor of the Year 2022

There was a wide-ranging selection of razors to sort through for my Razor of the Year for 2022. As expected, some were exceptional, some fair and one was downright ugly and shaved just as bad; those remaining fitted into the jigsaw somewhere. Without any beating around the bush, my choice as Razor of the Year for 2022 was the REX Konsul Slant Adjustable. Rex’s Konsul is acknowledged as the first adjustable DE slant razor to be offered to the shaving public and as such merits its place in shaving accomplishments. It was reviewed earlier in the year and despite mine having a QC glitch that was rectified after contacting REX, it came through trumps against such respected razors as the Lambda Athena, Le Maurice, Haircut and Shave 083 Aggressive, Karve Overlander. Even though I review quite a number of adjustable razors, I much prefer the simplicity of a good quality three piece razor, but it was that first stroke with the Konsul that set it up, just so smooth and to the Konsul’s credit, it just kept on delivering incredible shaves at all settings - a worthy winner.

When I purchased my first Paradigm Razor in 2017 it was machined from titanium, a revolution at the time; there was a small number of BBS-1’s in titanium and a few Wolfmans (same factory) and that was about it as far as titanium razors went. Now, just about every manufacturer has at least one titanium model and production of titanium razors is not slowing down, in fact it has grown and continues to grow in momentum. I’m very passionate about titanium razors so I’m in my element right now as companies keep releasing their new Ti models. Like all fads, this culture will change and another material will become the go to, I’m thinking something like bronze, maybe even a ceramic razor. Production of copper and aluminium razors appears to have slowed but brass and stainless steel remain popular.

There are two razors that have deliberately not been reviewed and have not been included in the Razor of the Year for 2022 - there may be some that have slipped through. One is the Rocnel Sailor Adjustable, read the reviews for the last three of four years and not much appears to have changed; for the second razor, the company decided to dick me around, so I’ll review their razor at some other time. Below is a summary of the razors tested in 2022 that were eligible for Razor of the Year:

• Green Cult – Stainless steel, hand machined, long and coloured handle, aggressive, ample blade, close shave, very good but already superseded
  • Lambda Athena – Bronze, well presented, work of art presentation case, even better looking razor, very usable and close to my personal parameters, a combination of beauty and function
  • Golden Beard Handmade – Machined in brass, supplied with both SB and OC plates, highly polished, 1930’s style, works well with different blades, very smooth, mild
  • Barbaros TR-2 Ti – Titanium, bead blasted finish, responds well to different blades, enjoyed the Feather blade, very smooth
  • Asylum Rx V2 – Metal injection manufacture, stainless steel, highly polished, a razor that delivered a superb shave, will win a lot of friends
  • Blackland Era – Stainless steel, created by 3D printing, comparable in looks to a satin finish, smooth and close shave, Era production has been discontinued, very good
  • Hone 15S – Stainless steel, second attempt at a stainless steel version after a false start last year, shorter handle than the Hone 15, excessively heavy, bead blasted finish, no knurling, mid efficiency and smooth.
  • Homelike Start 2 – Stainless steel, highly polished, superb shave, cannot be procured because of Russian sanctions
  • Oceanus Brass Stateroom – Brass, bow shackle on the handle - whatever for? handle too thin with little grip, delivered a good shave
  • Razorine Flatboy – Brass, face of plate is flat, comfortable shave, good
  • REX Konsul Slant Adjustable – Machined stainless steel, first adjustable slant, impressive performance right through the range of settings, pleasant amount of blade feel throughout the range, a champion
  • Haircut and Shave 083 Aggressive – Titanium, top quality machining, machine finished, aggressive by name only, superb shave
  • Matti Lindholm – Stainless steel, handmade, low cost, loads of blade feel and aggressive
  • Design 94 Titanium – Ugly
  • Asylum Rx Injector – Produced by metal injection, stainless steel, polished, more aggressive than the Rx V2, blade feel, I enjoyed the V2 more.
  • Tatara Closed Masamune Nodachi Ti Line – Tatara titanium, long handle, satin finish, mid efficiency, smooth
  • Barbaros TR3 – 304 Stainless steel, polished, purchased as blemished stock but I cannot see why, OC version of the TR2, aggressive, overload of blade feel, excessive feedback from the open comb, uncomfortable, not impressed
  • SCS Model A – 6061 Aluminium with stainless steel inserts, thick black anodised finish, Henson style cap spoils what could be a good razor, just another razor
  • Focus Tritok Concave R62 – 316 Stainless Steel, high quality polished finish, not a lot of bend placed on the blade, mid efficiency with minimal blade protrusion, a delight when combined with a Feather blade
Bring on 2023 to see what special delights are revealed.

Errol’s Razors of the Year

2017 Razorock Babysmooth Ti

2018 RAW Shaving RS-10

2019 Smart Helix Apollo

2020 Timeless Slim Edition 0.5mm

2021 Blutt BR-1 Rasur

2022 REX Konsul Slant Adjustable
Happy New Year @Errol and fellow P&C members... Thanks for yet another jam packed year of reviews and judging by the list the competition was stiff but credit to Matt of Rex and Razor Emporium as he stands by his product so the Konsul is a worthy winner!

Timeless Solid Bar Base Plate .68 – TRH1 (USA)

This is the first Timeless razor I purchased over five years ago and was optioned as the polished version with the TRH1 handle, both available plates and a smooth cap. When I first opened the package, I could not identify between the plates and emailed Timeless to find out that the efficiency level is engraved in the end of the plate; go on, have your laugh. Lather is dispersed by a combination of a full length channel under the blade and two grooves on each side of the plate; this makes the plate quite thick but there is very little material in front of the line of the blade, therefore maneuverability should not be hindered to any extent. This thick plate is probably why Timeless released their Slim range, however their original design is still popular and remains a feature in the Timeless inventory. At 85mm length, the TRH1 handle is at my preferred length with machined knurling along its working length. Presentation is first class; Timeless do an outstanding job when it comes to polishing their razors and the mirror finish on this razor is as good as they come.

It's not often that an opportunity comes along to shave with a razor that delivers such a smooth result; in turn, this gives the impression that it would be difficult to inflict an injury on yourself while shaving with the Timeless and the .68mm plate installed. Efficiency was below Karve CB Level #C but the shave was close and as expected, maneuverability was good. There is no doubt that the Timeless fitted with its .68mm plate performed flawlessly and, if I was honest, was all I would ever require for a shave. Well, this is Errol, I want more efficiency and knowing that Timeless have a more efficient plate available, I’m now looking forward to using the .95mm plate at some time in the future. This razor is a pleasure to use.

Blades Used – Iridium Super and Feather

Material – Stainless Steel – Polished

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 115g

Head Width – 41.34mm

Handle Length – 84.92mm

Handle Diameter – 12.66mm

Availability – Timeless

Final Word – So smooooth

Timeless Solid Bar Base Plate .68 – TRH1 (USA)

This is the first Timeless razor I purchased over five years ago and was optioned as the polished version with the TRH1 handle, both available plates and a smooth cap. When I first opened the package, I could not identify between the plates and emailed Timeless to find out that the efficiency level is engraved in the end of the plate; go on, have your laugh. Lather is dispersed by a combination of a full length channel under the blade and two grooves on each side of the plate; this makes the plate quite thick but there is very little material in front of the line of the blade, therefore maneuverability should not be hindered to any extent. This thick plate is probably why Timeless released their Slim range, however their original design is still popular and remains a feature in the Timeless inventory. At 85mm length, the TRH1 handle is at my preferred length with machined knurling along its working length. Presentation is first class; Timeless do an outstanding job when it comes to polishing their razors and the mirror finish on this razor is as good as they come.

It's not often that an opportunity comes along to shave with a razor that delivers such a smooth result; in turn, this gives the impression that it would be difficult to inflict an injury on yourself while shaving with the Timeless and the .68mm plate installed. Efficiency was below Karve CB Level #C but the shave was close and as expected, maneuverability was good. There is no doubt that the Timeless fitted with its .68mm plate performed flawlessly and, if I was honest, was all I would ever require for a shave. Well, this is Errol, I want more efficiency and knowing that Timeless have a more efficient plate available, I’m now looking forward to using the .95mm plate at some time in the future. This razor is a pleasure to use.

Blades Used – Iridium Super and Feather

Material – Stainless Steel – Polished

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 115g

Head Width – 41.34mm

Handle Length – 84.92mm

Handle Diameter – 12.66mm

Availability – Timeless

Final Word – So smooooth
You won't be disappointed with the .95, a superbly engineered razor that delivers an efficient and smooth shave. I recommend the German Wilkie and Gillette Yellow as perfect partners for it. (y)

Gillette Flare Tip Rocket (England)

Towards the end of last year I had the pleasure of meeting up with @Mark1966, the walking encyclopedia on all razors, Gillette. I was privileged to an exclusive, one on one personal viewing and demonstration of Mark’s extensive collection of Gillette razors. Mark took the time to explain the differences in models, variations and the evolution of Gillette razors down through the years, what an experience that night turned out to be – I learned so much, thanks again Mark. On the drive from Sydney to Canberra that morning, I scored a couple of Gillette razors at an antique store and Mark was only too pleased to identify them for me. Later in the evening I was talking about my old Army issue Gillette and how I’d thrown it out after it wore out. Mark’s ears pricked, and he advised that the Gillette I was issued was probably a Super Speed and that the Flare Tip Rocket I had purchased that very morning should shave very similar; the Flare Tip Rocket being the British equivalent of the Super Speed that was produced in USA. For old time’s sake I simply had to prepare the Flare Tip Rocket ready for a review. There’s not a whole lot that can be said about the Flare Tip Rocket; in the true Gillette tradition of razors from that period, it’s a one piece razor, plated brass chassis that employs a twist to open mechanism; millions were made, and this is just one of them. Mine is very much a user grade razor with everything appearing to work as it should. I have one big advantage, Mark ran a critical eye over it and after making sure everything was straight, that it opened and closed properly and a few sub-conscious checks that I know anything about, gave it his tick of approval, that’s good enough for me.

It's about 13 years since I threw my old Gillette out and I’ve shaved with one or two different razors since then, so I wasn’t sure if I’d remember how the Old Girl shaved. A stumbling block – I didn’t have any blades with about 50 shaves on them; in those days I believed in getting the absolute maximum out of a blade (and then some) and then marvel at the ability of a new blade to do its job; it never occurred to me to change my blades out after only a few shaves. I did, however, have a stock of Gillette Super Stainless Reds, the very blade I used almost exclusively throughout my first 40 plus years of shaving. Occasionally I could get hold of some Wilkinson Sword blades so there was the blade selection completed.

Memories of the old Gillette did not come flooding back, however there was one recollection that I was reminded of, constant weepers, especially with the fresh Super Stainless Reds; there was fewer weepers with the Wilkinson blades, maybe that’s why I preferred the Wilkinson blades when I could get them. What the Flare Tip Rocket did establish was my preference for razors that fall into the Karve CB Level #D efficiency range, although I would rate the efficiency of the Rocket as being under Kerve CB level #D efficiency. Shorter handles and a liking of some positive blade feel was also bought to the fore, but in the Rocket’s case, a fair amount of positive blade was present. Even with the positive blade feel, the shave was still smooth and there were no complaints about the closeness of the shave. I’m sure that Mark was spot on with his guesstimation of what my old razor was, so it was good to experience the feel of a similar razor I had used for all those years. I’ll now be keeping a bit of an eye out for a Super Speed around 1961 vintage, looking forward to using that.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless Red and Wilkinson Sword

Material – Brass frame nickel plated

Blade Tab - Exposed

Weight – 59g

Head Width – 42.97mm

Handle Length – 76.58mm

Handle Diameter – 10.14mm

Availability – Out of production

Final Word – Pretty good for an old clanger