Weekly Razor Review

yeah they are an amazing razor that's for sure, if I ever got another i may try a 0.95 plate.. or even a WR1 people either prefer them to the WR2 or not, so just depends on the user and only way to find out it to try.. shame they are so expensive though
Stick to your Blackland Blackbird and forget about the Wolfman, agree ;)

from what I read the highest to go up to with a WR1 to retain smoothness but with the highest efficiency is the .74 gap, but this is just hearsay from what i read.. I did use the passaround WR1 and that is what made me 'see the light' with quality razors an have not looked back. When they were finally available to buy the WR2 was out so was tough to make that decision but obviously went with the WR2 1.25 with a solid WRH2 handle, so plenty of heft..

its an awesome razor, so smooth and covers all bases, but when going ATG you really got to make sure you have a good lather and the right touch. I used to get a few weepers when first starting iwth it but now can use it as a daily with ATG.. but i dont, i love variety.. in saying that though and as much as I like the rest of my razors the WR2 and the blackbird have been getting the vast amount of my attention..
I'd agree with @Errol in suggesting the WR2 1.25 as a sweet spot and I'd love to have tried one to see if it was 'safe' as a daily shaver but truth be told, adding the Blackbird cured my RAD and between it and the Vector, I know I have 'premium' shavers that compare well to the illusive Wolfman and delivery comparable shaves with very little effort...

Sabbatical life is bliss as I don't dwell much on the things that got away and being limited to time, I settle for a quick pre-work 2 pass DFS using one of my many razors, blades, brushes or soaps that I still have years before I need to stock up so life is good and rotation keeps me motivated... (y)

Last edited:
Shield DE Defender Titanium 1.15mm (China)

Yet another WR2 clone from a factory operating from where else but China. Shield Razors had been the topic of conversation for six months before they became available through the Boti Shaving Brush shop or online at AliExpress but still through the Boti Shaving Brush shop. Purchasing a DE Defender is probably the most cost effective way to arm yourself with a new titanium razor, plus it has the added advantage of looking like a WR2 and I’m about to find out if it shaves as good as a WR2. In a bit of a twist, the Defender cap and plate can be fitted to both the WR2 and the Yaqi Sentinel but I don’t know that I’d like to use any of them with the parts swapped around. Like the Sentinel, the plate has no serrations on the safety bar and two lather channels per side. A very presentable satin finish has been applied on the razor but this does not extend to the underside of the cap. Later DE Defender razors have the option of a polished finish but I’ll stick with my view that a bead blasted finish on a titanium razor will satisfy me every day of the week.

If a slightly watered down R41 with plenty of blade feel is your choice of hardware then the Shield’s DE Defender might just be the razor for you, but if you’re looking for that Wolfman WR2 experience, forget it, you’re not going to get it here. While the Defender’s stated blade gap of 1.15mm indicates about mid range efficiency, blade protrusion is positive and the delivered shave feels in excess of Karve CB level #D efficiency. Getting a really close shave was ever so simple with the DE Defender but this is a razor that must be treated with respect and is not for someone just struggling with technique, this razor will bite. The Dscosmetic DE razor appeals to my sense of what a good razor should deliver, but it is not for everyone.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Crown

Material – Gr5 Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 65g

Head Width – 42.7mm

Handle Length – 90.00mm

Handle Diameter – 13.47mm

Availability – Boti Shaving Brushes

Final Word –
Liked it

I am a bit surprised that "slightly watered down R41" was picked as comparison.

I got the "Polished DE3" version, a slightly different handle, a while ago and found it very mild.

This is the 1.15 version, labeled "A". 1.35 and 1.55 are B and C, but afaik never appeared on AliExpress.

Compared to the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5, this one is more efficient due to higher blade exposure. Despite the smaller 1.15 gap.

Polish was a bit cloudy on the cap, the rest was fine.

In terms of aggression I am wondering, it didn't feel very aggressive to me. The small gap for this type of head design makes it rather a mild razor. Well yes, there is exposure, but even my Rex Envoy has more and is more aggressive.

Yaqi supposedly changed the geometry of their WR2 head clones. The 1.5 OC seems to be way more effective than the previous 1.5 SB, they changed the cap somewhat.

For Boti, unfortunately no 1.5+ gap WR2 clone head materialized. I ordered a Boti Vortex though, it might arrive on Tuesday.

For this one I have no clue which head design they based the head on.

Seems both Yaqi and Boti didn't quite get the Wolfman geometry right.

As I can't quite fathom why Errol rates it so significantly more aggressive than I do... maybe it rather wants another shaving angle than the original Wolfman Inspiration, too? 🤔 I shaved very steep.

I am a bit surprised that "slightly watered down R41" was picked as comparison.

I got the "Polished DE3" version, a slightly different handle, a while ago and found it very mild.

This is the 1.15 version, labeled "A". 1.35 and 1.55 are B and C, but afaik never appeared on AliExpress.

Compared to the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5, this one is more efficient due to higher blade exposure. Despite the smaller 1.15 gap.

Polish was a bit cloudy on the cap, the rest was fine.

In terms of aggression I am wondering, it didn't feel very aggressive to me. The small gap for this type of head design makes it rather a mild razor. Well yes, there is exposure, but even my Rex Envoy has more and is more aggressive.

Yaqi supposedly changed the geometry of their WR2 head clones. The 1.5 OC seems to be way more effective than the previous 1.5 SB, they changed the cap somewhat.

For Boti, unfortunately no 1.5+ gap WR2 clone head materialized. I ordered a Boti Vortex though, it might arrive on Tuesday.

For this one I have no clue which head design they based the head on.

Seems both Yaqi and Boti didn't quite get the Wolfman geometry right.

As I can't quite fathom why Errol rates it so significantly more aggressive than I do... maybe it rather wants another shaving angle than the original Wolfman Inspiration, too? 🤔 I shaved very steep.
Interesting comments. My Shield actually felt like it had a far greater blade gap than advertised. I’ve used a few clones now and I’m starting to develop a theory that the Chinese clones are designed without even having a physical razor. I’m thinking they are designed from photos. For the WR2 clone, Wolfman actually have very good photos on their web site so the design part is easy but obtaining accurate geometry is another story. If there was an actual razor, copying the geometry would be a breeze and we would have a true representation of a WR2. To further demonstrate my theory, I recently purchased a Yaqi Bohimia which is a clone of the relatively rare Bohin razor. In a photo of the original and the clone standing together, the clone is 50% thicker. I don’t have a Bohin razor to use back to back to reinforce my theory on Chinese copies.

I’ve used a few clones now and I’m starting to develop a theory that the Chinese clones are designed without even having a physical razor.
From my limited experience, I'm 100% certain this is the case. I have a Yaqi Raster (AKA Excalibur) that was included by @thatguy some time back when my Hawk V3 was making the rounds. It's clearly made with the Vector head in mind, but without taking any measurements from the become article. It gives a very nice shave, but it's definitely not a "clone" of the Vector by any stretch.

How they get the data, I don't think getting a physical razor is that difficult. I have seen some razor stands by DSCosmetic that featured a full selection of Timeless razors on display.

Now I wonder though why exactly those haven't been copied by DSCosmetic yet.

There is also a RazoRock Wunderbar looking head by DSCosmetic, but it shaves very differently and has a way different geometry.

On the other hand, the Game Changer .84 copy, the S9, is spot on. Parts are even interchangeable. Except they have also a scalloped cap to offer.

Maybe that was the only thing from Timeless they took so far. The handle of the Blackland Dart got 100% cloned and got called Roman Column.

For Wolfman WR2 head copies there seem to be a lot of attempts. Yaqi updates their WR2 head design, now even added a hollowed out plate design that looks like Carbon Shaving.

Irritating is that Yaqi, DSCosmetic and Boti threw their WR2 copies around the same time on the market, but with differences between each of their copies. For instance the DSCosmetic WR2 clone head is a bit too tight for the blade, the Boti has more exposure than the others, while Yaqi updated their cap and baseplate by now.

I assume someone posted a theory about the geometry of the WR2 head somewhere, and all major Chinese manufacturers decided to give it a try. 🤷

Dscosmetics AX (China)

Roll up! Roll up! Arriving daily, another blatant rip-off of the WR2, no need to rush that purchase, it looks like they are going to keep on coming!!

While the advertisement for the AX has it produced in stainless steel, copper and titanium, it was only available in stainless steel with a blade gap of 1.55mm when I purchased. Coming as a head only, I selected a titanium Dscosmetics Pioneer handle to complete the package. I’m not too sure how to describe the Pioneer handle, it has what look like, deep semi-circle indentations along the length of the shaft except for the end where a series of grooves add a bit of normality to the design, maybe designed in-house. Like other Dscosmetics I have looked at, the thread engagement is not good, first up it was not smooth and when I oiled the thread it was sloppy; in this day and age of CNC machines, it should be better. Similar to the other two WR2 clones, the posts on the cap are squarer those on the original WR2, so much so that the blade has to be squeezed into position between the posts, it does not slide into position. While the blade requires assistance for the final fit, it sits in a smooth semi- circle inside the cap without any waves or bulges present. But, without a blade tab, how do you get the blade out? To remove the blade, I held the cutting edges very lightly between my fingers but something like a paddle pop stick would work well. It’s obvious that all manufacturers of razor blades have their DE blade dimensions wrong, good luck Dscosmetics in convincing manufacturers to deliver blades to your requirement. Just to be different from the other two WR2 clones reviewed recently, there is one long lather channel in the plate and serrations are machined into the safety bar. Hey, that mimics the WR2 look, even if the safety bar is not as wide. Overall, the polished finish of the razor is quite well done with no blemishes to be seen. Without knowing, it would be difficult to identify a difference in appearance between the stainless steel head and the titanium handle.

Of the three ‘would be’ WR2 contenders that I’ve looked at, the AX comes closest to delivering a Wolfman like shave, but it still doesn’t get a gong. Again, there is more blade feel than the original WR2. I enjoyed the shave, but I do appreciate a bit of positive blade feel. Efficiency was above the Karve CB Level #D range, but it was expected that it would be, Dscosmetics advertised this AX as having a rather savage 1.55mm blade gap. Of course the shave was not smooth, but it was close. Dscosmetics have not impressed with their CNC machining capabilities and need to address tolerances on this, and all their razors. Having said that, this is not a bad razor for anyone who does not mind some positive blade feel.

Blades Used – Gillette Super Stainless and Crown

Material – Stainless steel with Titanium handle

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 84.5g

Head Width – 43.20mm

Handle Length – 90.13mm

Handle Diameter – 14mmfr

Availability – Aliexpress

Final Word –
Sloppy machining

Dscosmetics have not impressed with their CNC machining capabilities and need to address tolerances on this, and all their razors.
Very comprehensive review as always @Errol. I have yet to see a Discosmetics razor that was well machined. However the Shield razor that you reviewed last week is not manufactured by Discosmetics. Shield comes from a small machine shop elsewhere in China and their QC appears to be quite good.

Something with the DSCosmetic handles... they seem all electropolished, which gives even their knurled handles a slightly slippery feel. Most blatantly felt when comparing the Razorock Super Knurl with their THS (THT for the titanium version) dubbed handle copy.
The second thing, almost all I got had black gunk on the threads. I am not sure if this residue is leftover from machining or if it was supposed some form of lubricant. The latest Blackland Dart copy called Roman Column worked out nicely, though. They seem to make huge batches, I would suggest if there is no strong preference for a particular handle to go with the head only or pick one of their latest handle designs.

For the R41 copy, they at least named the first batch of the Z0 "prototype". It was basically a 2011 version R41, slightly shorter cap that covers less of the blade, which makes the shave a fair bit more aggressive. The later Z0 was more like the current R41 versions after 2013. Not sure if they made another minimal design update in between.
Their best head so far was the S9, a GC .84P copy. Then I also got a dual comb, X0 or X1 or X2, which was so much on the mild side that I quickly retired it as dud. People in general seemed to love it, but what isn't rated at 5 of 5 stars these days, cough.

For the "AX":
"Notes:
First Version The cap clamping blade is a little tight, thanks for your understand."

Not really, you should bolden that line like I just did. And actually maybe stop selling these heads... :sneaky:
They added it only after the complaints came in!

Reminds me of Sofirn, a flashlight manufacturer. Their SP35 model is really good, but the first batch had a defective automatic temperature regulation, meaning the LED always goes FULL POWER and doesn't dial down when it runs too hot, which is necessary to prevent heat damage to the LED itself.

What did they do? They sold it as "ENTHUSIAST/FAN EDITION" without ATR. "Always best brightness!"
And a lot people bought it and loved it. Oh well! But one must say, flashlight enthusiasts might even be crazier than razor collectors.

Klinker mentioned Boti, they seem by now to regularly throw some fancy small number razors on Aliexpress.

I got the current offer, the "Boti Vortex", in polished version and its handle is super grippy, despite polish. Seems to be hand polished rather than electropolish.
This is now going off topic, but I couldn't figure out which razor head they cloned. It reminds me of a cross of the Timeless Bronze head with a Game Changer. Yet rounded blade posts, which neither head has. Couldn't figure out which geometry they picked as template.
Quality is fine, the razor head is on the very aggressive side, both sides of the dual comb have significant exposure. Which reminds me of the Shield, which had the most exposure of all WR2 clones I had so far. I haven't got the AX and if I should get it one day, I would rather wait for the next batch/version. DSCosmetic will relentlessly sell them till they are all gone, so as the 1.55 316L steel version is sold out currently, that one might be a relatively safe bet to maybe of the revised edition. The other versions seem still in stock.

La Faulx Titanium (France)

Sometimes it’s good to break out of the DE mould and use another blade and holder for a while, so this week I’m setting out to review a few SE’s, all Artist Club, this week it’s the standard plate La Faulx from Atelier Duran that received my attention. At its release, stainless steel, titanium, and bronze were offered so ever the stickler for titanium, there was little doubt which metal I would select first up, titanium in a blasted finish. While the head is not Vector thin, it still presents a very low profile for a razor without material machined from the sides of the handle post. Blade mounting is on two pins on the cap which mate into corresponding holes in the plate. There is a noticeable angle offset for the blade making it somewhat mimic the shaving angle of a DE blade. Large smooth diamonds are a featured on the handle, which at 90mm, looks short but is right on a good usable length.

Atelier Durdan’s DE Le Maurice in its standard form was very much on the mild side so I was not at all surprised when the standard La Faulx also presented as a mild shaver. Efficiency was just on the higher side of Karve CB level #C and with its small amount positive blade feel the shave was so beautifully smooth. The shave was not as close as I would have liked and the razor had a tendency to skip over sections during the shave, shave angle is critical. Then. And then a Feather Professional Super blade was fitted, a perfect match for the La Faulx razor. No more skipping of sections during the shave, certainly close and nearly as smooth. Overall, the razor performed well but it was with the Feather Professional Super blade where it really impressed.

Blades Used – Feather Professional and Feather Professional Super

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 60.2g

Head Width – 51.06mm

Handle Length – 89.77mm

Handle Diameter – 12.54mm

Availability – Atelier Durdan

Final Word – Blade selection is key

Sometimes it’s good to break out of the DE mould and use another blade and holder for a while, so this week I’m setting out to review a few SE’s, all Artist Club, this week it’s the standard plate La Faulx from Atelier Duran that received my attention. At its release, stainless steel, titanium, and bronze were offered so ever the stickler for titanium, there was little doubt which metal I would select first up, titanium in a blasted finish. While the head is not Vector thin, it still presents a very low profile for a razor without material machined from the sides of the handle post. Blade mounting is on two pins on the cap which mate into corresponding holes in the plate. There is a noticeable angle offset for the blade making it somewhat mimic the shaving angle of a DE blade. Large smooth diamonds are a featured on the handle, which at 90mm, looks short but is right on a good usable length.

Atelier Durdan’s DE Le Maurice in its standard form was very much on the mild side so I was not at all surprised when the standard La Faulx also presented as a mild shaver. Efficiency was just on the higher side of Karve CB level #C and with its small amount positive blade feel the shave was so beautifully smooth. The shave was not as close as I would have liked and the razor had a tendency to skip over sections during the shave, shave angle is critical. Then. And then a Feather Professional Super blade was fitted, a perfect match for the La Faulx razor. No more skipping of sections during the shave, certainly close and nearly as smooth. Overall, the razor performed well but it was with the Feather Professional Super blade where it really impressed.

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 60.2g

Head Width – 51.06mm

Handle Length – 89.77mm

Always a high light of the week waiting to see what the guru @Errol reviews next so I was happy to see a new SE razor and titanium finish to boot so thanks for sharing! (y)

Material – Titanium

Blade Tab - Covered

Weight – 60.2g

Head Width – 51.06mm

Handle Length – 89.77mm

Nice review. Always interested to see SE razors appearing here. (y) You mention that you chose the standard plate for this, do I take that to mean what they call Classique or the Medium? I notice they also have a Supérieur version. Do you have any plans to look at the others?

Given that I like the aggressiveness level of the Vector, which plate would you suggest might be equivalent? I notice they have a great range of finishes. I like the look of the bronze model. Not cheap though, they make lycanthropes look only moderately pricey.

On a side note, have you considered looking at their Vestige GEM razor?

Nice review. Always interested to see SE razors appearing here. (y) You mention that you chose the standard plate for this, do I take that to mean what they call Classique or the Medium? I notice they also have a Supérieur version. Do you have any plans to look at the others?

Given that I like the aggressiveness level of the Vector, which plate would you suggest might be equivalent? I notice they have a great range of finishes. I like the look of the bronze model. Not cheap though, they make lycanthropes look only moderately pricey.

On a side note, have you considered looking at their Vestige GEM razor?
@Gargravarr I purchased both the titanium and stainless steel versions of the La Faulx soon after they became available. At that time there were no efficiency options so what I had was it. Now Atelier Durdan has released more efficient plates and given their + and ++ fancy names. Later, I did purchase a + plate with open comb for the stainless steel version and that review will be out soon. My stainless steel La Faulx is the polished version but they now have a premium finish so I don't know which mine is. Atelier is always updating his inventory and his product. His products have become popular because his production times have blown out to almost Wolfman wait times.

My Vestige was ordered almost eight weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything about when production is likely to start.

@Gargravarr I purchased both the titanium and stainless steel versions of the La Faulx soon after they became available. At that time there were no efficiency options so what I had was it. Now Atelier Durdan has released more efficient plates and given their + and ++ fancy names. Later, I did purchase a + plate with open comb for the stainless steel version and that review will be out soon. My stainless steel La Faulx is the polished version but they now have a premium finish so I don't know which mine is. Atelier is always updating his inventory and his product. His products have become popular because his production times have blown out to almost Wolfman wait times.

My Vestige was ordered almost eight weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything about when production is likely to start.
Nothing like a bit of serious retail therapy to keep you young. :p

Looking forward to those reviews... :nailbiting: You're taking one for the team by ordering the Vestige, given your history with GEM razors... :LOL: I'm definitely curious though.

BTW, an atelier isn't a name, it's French for studio or workshop. ;)

I got a Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC. They changed the head slightly compared to the initial 1.5 SB, the cap is a bit thinner, less material to the "posts", but that didn't change geometry.

After closer inspection I concluded this:

The cap looks different from the side indeed, the changes in geometry are rather seen elsewhere:
1.) OC has slightly more blade coverage from the cap from above.
2.) The OC teeth are slightly less extended than the bar of the SB head.
3.) This gives a bit more exposure of the blade to shaving plane.

All in all, this makes for a closer shave. It was not just the OC design with some gaps that added performance.
Shaving characteristics in general didn't change considerably, but efficiency got increased noticeably.

Still haven't got the DSCosmetics AX, got a Yaqi Slope instead.

I hope I didn't clog the thread we all rather read for Errol's latest razor review, apologies in this case. I just didn't know where else to add this, this posting can ofc be moved to a related thread if there is one.

Wolfman WR4 0.70 – WRH3 Handle (Canada)

A more or less expected announcement that Wolfman was about to release a razor for the Artist Club blade still attracted my attention, I was anxious to get one for a trial. It would be available in different levels of efficiency with the 0.50 gap being the standard for the initial runs till more feedback became available. I thought long and hard about choosing between the 0.60 or 0.07 plates before eventually deciding on a 0.70 plate with safety bar for my first WR4. Ordered in 316L stainless steel with a basic polish, hollow WRH3 handle and 90mm long, this razor looks incredible in true Wolfman fashion. Wolfman chose not to remove material from the side of their handle post resulting in the handle being attached above the blade similar to razors like the Hawk, Outlaw and General. For this very reason there are many similarities in appearance between the WR4 and these razors but where the WR4 differs from the many AC razors is that more rake has been added to the blade. Typical of Wolfman razors, there is no excess metal in the head thus making both the cap and plate quite thin. There are elongated blade posts on the cap that mate into shallow and corresponding grooves in the plate. With a blade fitted any mating of the blade post into the groove is non-existent as the blade posts stand only about one blade thickness tall. Assisting alignment between the cap and plate is a square block at the base of the handle post and a corresponding groove in the plate.

I was quite satisfied with the choice of a 0.70 plate for this WR4, efficiency was marginally in excess of Karve CB Level #D and there was an appropriate amount of blade feel. Sharp AC blades ensured that the shave was reasonably smooth and with the positive blade exposure, the shave was always going to be close. Using the WR4 was a pleasure, it may not be Vector thin but it falls in line with the majority of AC razors that have not had the sides machined off their handle posts. Now that I have a gauge on how the 0.70mm plate functions I will face a lot less stress when it comes to selecting the OC plate for my next WR4, probably 0.60. Initially I was thinking that this razor would be good enough to make the decision difficult for anyone looking for a top shelf SE razor; but by the end of the review my thought process had swung a little, this razor leaves other AC razors in its wake and is straight to the top of the SE tree, its results are impressive.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Kai Captain Titan Mild

Material – 316L Stainless steel

Blade Tab – Covered

Weight – 61.9g

Head Width – 50.77mm

Handle Length – 89.71mm

Handle Diameter – 12.68 mm

Availability – Wolfman

Final Word – Polished perfection