Anyone want to try out the R41 Razor?

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it didn't really seem right to start another thread to discuss the R41 - hence I'm going to 'squat' my thoughts here.

I'd kind of forgotten that I'd bought the R41 head a few weeks back - having a shedload of new artisan soaps to play with will do that - but anyway finally gave the R41 a first use yesterday. The kit was:

R41 w/ Weber Bulldog handle
Polsilver Brown (2)
Mikes Natural Orange/Cedar/Pepper
Vielong Peleon

Bodged the lather by adding water too quickly - but anyway.

This was the first time I'd actually put the R41 head on a handle with a blade in it and my first thoughts were,"Wow, great looking head" like it really looks chunky and performance oriented. That said I also could immediately see why it was reknowned for being a tricky one to use as the blade is just right out there! No need to go searching for the blade edge, it WILL find you!

So first stroke and immediately I was surprised by how audible the razor is - a LOT of aural feedback - which is a nice thing. I could tell straight away that I was getting a VERY close shave, the Polsilvers are up there with very sharp blades and I don't know whether they were a good/bad choice but thats what i had onhand....but the first WTG pass was already CLEARLY as close as a 2/3 pass shave - almost BBS stuff.

I know it was a first use - and so perhaps it will decrease but my feeling was that this is a razor that you have to ALWAYS concentrate on whilst you're using. I don't know about others but I've gotten to a point where I'm normally very confident with my technique so during a shave I can think about other things and let my technique drift and not have the shave suffer for this - as other razors are generally very forgiving - but the R41 had my FULL ATTENTION for the entire shave.

So I was very conscious of the head/blade angle, not applying any pressure where making a stroke and instead allowing the head/handle's weight to pull the razor down on each stroke. It was surprisingly easy to get into the regular tricky spots on my face e.g jaw under ears.

I had to play it really careful on my chin as the lather was very poor - and basically just finished with the single WTG shave. I did start one ATG stroke under my chin but my skin immediately said,"DO NOT DO THAT!" And so I didn't plus I really had nothing to shave so it was silly to try - the first pass had obliterated it all.

However.....what an amazing single pass shave. I swear it was alsmost as good as anything else I'd ever had, in terms of closeness. I was kind of chuffed that I'd not so much as a single nick or mark either - so thats nice to know that one's technique is pretty good.

Zero irritation. My only tiny issue was I'd left a few little stray hairs in areas where perhaps I was overly cautious about the R41 e.g corners of my mouth. Cleaned those up with my wife's SS.

So I really have to say WOW - what a wonderful razor this is. I always used to trumpet the Merkur SLant as the single pass champ but this absolutely beats this by a country mile. That said I found the Slant an puppy dog to use compared to this, so they're not exactly apples with apples.

I'm very glad I got the R41 as it's the first razor Ive used in a LONG time that is REALLY different in terms of its user feel and results - others tend to be much of a muchness, sure some are better etc but something that is MASSIVELY different is very hard to find - but I'm confident that the R41 is exactly that - so well worth a try and something I thin will be a keeper in my razor rotation.

..........I'm very glad I got the R41 as it's the first razor Ive used in a LONG time that is REALLY different in terms of its user feel and results - others tend to be much of a muchness, sure some are better etc but something that is MASSIVELY different is very hard to find - but I'm confident that the R41 is exactly that.......

I have to give you the fact that it's massively different. As is a blade nailed to the end of a stick.

I have one but don't use it to much as Nick said you need to concentrate on the blade angle a bit
and on most days I'm out of bed for work at 1.30am a more forgiving razor is usually the go.

So you don't use it too much Paul Smith?

So you wouldn't miss it for a while? :-D

I have actually never used a DE, only a shavette (which is on par with concentration levels) and a straight. I'm wondering if the R41 is a good option for me as three passes for a shave sounds strange to my ears, when one pass usually does the trick, a second to tidy up if something special is on…

If your thinking of selling or trading it let me know.

I have a small stick of arko I'd be happy to swap for it ;-)

I'm wondering if the R41 is a good option for me as three passes for a shave sounds strange to my ears, when one pass usually does the trick, a second to tidy up if something special is on…
I said it elsewhere but it ears repeating, I reckon you'll do well with a Bloodletter, a Banshee, the Zen Master!

I Have decided to give this a go. I could be making a mistake but I like the idea of the r41.
Can anyone recommend one of the 3 versions currently available and why? Standard handle, grande handle and screw bottom version. Probably just personal opinion? I'm leaning towards the grande.

I would lean away from the screw bottom, only because it means you can't mix and match the handle.

Also, see if you can get a rosegold version. They look hot.

@Adam , do what the savvy folks do and just buy yourself the R41 head from Connaught. It should cost you around $AUD27 delivered. Plus obviously an order will subsidise buying other stuff from there whist you're saving on postage e.g ToBs sale, etc.

Now the assumption here is that you ALREADY are the owner of almost any other 3 piece razor - as basically 99% of them will fit the R41's thread spot on (there seems to have been a rare moment of clarity amongst razor makers to all go with the same gauge thread! Unlike circa 2000 mobile phone charger makers!)

IMHO the handles of the R41's aren't great - they're almost identical to EJ's plated handles and so the vast majority of 3-piece razor handles will be far more tactile. Luckily I have the Weber bulldog handle, which is like shyte on a blanket for it's gripability.

If you don't have a 3 piece handle for the cost offset you could easily find a nice one via Connaught (in the 2nds section there is a very sexy Ikon Stainless Steel bulldog handle for 25 quid - thats up there in price but just an idea) or other vendor or buy a 3 piece razor for the same price differential (e.g Parker 98r is not far off, 26c also decent) or certainly get one from a user here.

Once you're a nice 3 piece handle it's just a matter of switching the heads around e.g best head on the best handle. Imagine if they did that with women! :p

Last edited:
There's a "seconds" Bulldog II handle for sale at Connaughts. Not sure of usual price, but GBP 25 + postage.

There's a "seconds" Bulldog II handle for sale at Connaughts. Not sure of usual price, but GBP 25 + postage.
Great minds think alike (3rd line from bottom of my post). :D

If it were me I'd stump up the extra 13 quid over what the R41 Grande would have cost @Adam , as the handle will essentially perfectly match the head (I can confirm this as the Weber is SS handle) and whilst I don't have the Ikon handle I've read it's around the same as the Weber and that will be miles ahead of the R41 Grande handle which is a pretty ordinary one - albeit nicely plated but quite slippery.

Spend the lil extra, cry only once - you'll be very happy you did down the track as that handle will be a life long keeper as it fits everything else and once you've used a good handle the stock ones as very forgettable.

Oops skim read your post, and had previously noticed the handle at Connaughts

You are such enablers - very tempting ....

After all your years of happy clapping @Mark1966 do I need to explain "Yield not unto Temptation" :)

Hmmm, let me think, ...

wrath - no
greed - no, surely just one R41 head could not be greedy
sloth - indeed not, this is a call to action!
pride - having a R41 is a humbling experience I'm told
lust - um, well, no, I'm jsut going to shave with it
envy - nope, I don't envy anybody their R41
gluttony - over indulgence or over consumption? Do I have too many razors?

OK, maybe I don't need it :(

The sacrifices that we are called to ...

I went for the standard/traditional handled R41. I'd contemplated the grande (and the rosegold) but don't much go for length I like girth. Anyway, the handle's not Weber great but it'll do...and I can swap out for the Weber Bulldog if I wish....but I've yet to wish yet.

BTW: love my R41 but not sure if I prefer the Fatip. Honestly if you're ordering from overseas then I'd consider the extra few bucks and throw a Fatip into the parcel. I got a Piccolo and quite like it. Always planned to sell the one I like least and have still yet to decide 3 months on.

Thanks @stillshunter BUT that product has a feature that I'm not sure I like ...

muehle-traditional-rasierhobel-offener-kamm-metall-verchromt_r41_bb-e97a0ad0.png