Australian Private Reserve soaps

I was pretty disappointed as I never got to try any of the soaps. Everyone that have used them only have good things to say about them.

What happened to the business? It’s a shame because it was really widely respected in the US market. Is there any chance of APR being resurrected? Is the owner active on PnC?
There's was a conflict against APR from the US and UK complaining about shipping problems when they didn't receive the items, and suddenly some wet shavers in the US gave very bad continuing reviews against APR from Badger & Blade and another website as well. Maggard Razors and maybe West Coast shaving step in the wrong direction, believing the customers and wet shavers, giving out bad reviews against APR.

Anyway it's a very long story

After Dan did the Gravefruit collab with SW, he was lined up to commence working with Sri from Wholly Kaw (long term I believe and not a sole LE). Then Covid got the better of him and my understanding was that he and his wife became quite sick as a result. I think family came first, as it should and he just faded away from the Wetshaving artisanal scene.

I hope one day he comes back with a bang!

Sure, customer service wasn’t his thing, and likely pi55ed off a number of people along the way, but as always in life… he dealt with his share of d1ckheads!

I'm happy I had the opportunity to stock up when I did as many of the APR scents are/were my favourites, particularly the wintery scents and the truly LE (General Ledger & Alfredus Choice).

A shame things ended up as they did as both soap bases were up there with premium offerings and Dan was generous with his donations, especially the Charity Auctions. (y)

Has anybody been in touch with Dan during the ongoing pandemic, to check on him and his wife? I haven't heard a living soul from him.

Dan fell off the face of the Earth last December. Up until then, and for the previous 6 months, I was in quite regular contact with him. Unfortunately, that message I got from him one year ago turned out to be the last.

I wish him well and hope can make it back to the wet-shaving scene, he is a very talented guy. There is no citrus scent out there that holds a candle to his Fresca Intensa, I sound like a broken record but that's how it is, fight me on this.

He did not make any soaps.....
Both bases in my top 10 with great slickness in V1 but V2 greater post shave feel and added cushion due to the improved ingredients! :love:

Both bases in my top 10 with great slickness in V1 but V2 greater post shave feel and added cushion due to the improved ingredients! :love:

If only the soap makers would make some more - even unscented!

Most of the time the soapmakers were doing it as a hobby. Life gets in the way of things, and only a few get to the point of being able to truly turn it into a self-sustaining business. Many times it is not from the lack of trying. There are some that have made that jump.

I wish APR was still around too. I do have a tub of Ozymandias which is so far untouched, and a tub that is almost gone.

It is a genuine pity to see Aussie products that held their own and often were a standard for the class they aimed for, no longer around.
I don't really care for the drama, politics etc of the scene, or in general, so to hear snippets of that being suggested as a part of their demise saddens me, as we're ALL at a loss ultimately for a lack of home grown goodness.
It is why I tend to privately support and steer others towards produce from this country these days to the best of my ability, so we still have something to pin our flag to and be proud of.
I know of 4 people from this forum alone that no longer active in their hobby and interest that we benefited from, be it permanently or hopefully, only temporarily, and irrelevant the background/product, that does sadden me to see their passion set aside.
I can only hope those still active before us consumers, can find a way to aid each other, in order to ensure the best foot is put forth by them all, as my personal opinion, is they all deserve success.
We produce world class goods and anyone stating otherwise should be questioned as to their motive.

It is a genuine pity to see Aussie products that held their own and often were a standard for the class they aimed for, no longer around.
I don't really care for the drama, politics etc of the scene, or in general, so to hear snippets of that being suggested as a part of their demise saddens me, as we're ALL at a loss ultimately for a lack of home grown goodness.
It is why I tend to privately support and steer others towards produce from this country these days to the best of my ability, so we still have something to pin our flag to and be proud of.
I know of 4 people from this forum alone that no longer active in their hobby and interest that we benefited from, be it permanently or hopefully, only temporarily, and irrelevant the background/product, that does sadden me to see their passion set aside.
I can only hope those still active before us consumers, can find a way to aid each other, in order to ensure the best foot is put forth by them all, as my personal opinion, is they all deserve success.
We produce world class goods and anyone stating otherwise should be questioned as to their motive.
You crying again @borked? Get some piss sticks in your den, and you’ll smile forever.

Sorry. My lazy terminology. I meant shave creams / shave soaps.... I really liked whatever the base was that they used. APR and A&E are my favourite two shave soaps. Sad to see an aussie artisan close up shop. They seemed to be selling well so it's a pity.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your lovely, kind and supportive words about Dan. His passion and talent was rare indeed. I don't really know how to say this but Dan died earlier this year. Shaving, grooming, and perfume were such a big part of his life, and mine as well. I remember when we first came up with the name for General Ledger. I remember when he joined you all here at P&C. I hope those of you who have been here a while might take a moment to remember him. I'm wearing Les Santals tonight (although I suppose it's technically morning).

Thanks and have a sharp shave.

- Dan's wife

Hi everyone. Thanks for your lovely, kind and supportive words about Dan. His passion and talent was rare indeed. I don't really know how to say this but Dan died earlier this year. Shaving, grooming, and perfume were such a big part of his life, and mine as well. I remember when we first came up with the name for General Ledger. I remember when he joined you all here at P&C. I hope those of you who have been here a while might take a moment to remember him. I'm wearing Les Santals tonight (although I suppose it's technically morning).

- Dan's wife
My deepest condolences to your true loving soul mate and your heart for the loss of your dearest husband Dan, I just wanted to say thank you for Dan and his wet shaving passion from shaving soap, aftershave, and perfume.

Paste & Cut will never forget Dan for his passion and hobbies in the wet shaving Australian and New Zealand communities.

So mote it be.

Jason.

Well written @SpeedyPC as Dan played a massive part in my early days joining P&C with his advice, insight and generosity be it samples, donations to the Charity Auction and excellent customer service in our many transactions. Too this day the APR scents are some of the best I've sampled and his talent for creating vibrant scent combinations was truly an art form!

Sending my sincerest condolences to his wife and family with special thanks to @Mark1966 for keeping the AP Reserve memory archived with his website:

- Dan's wife

'Like' is not the appropriate response, but the only one we have on this forum.

I really have no words, Dan was a towering figure, extraordinarily generous to me personally and to this forum.

Sincere condolences on your loss.