Australian Private Reserve soaps

Hi everyone. Thanks for your lovely, kind and supportive words about Dan. His passion and talent was rare indeed. I don't really know how to say this but Dan died earlier this year. Shaving, grooming, and perfume were such a big part of his life, and mine as well. I remember when we first came up with the name for General Ledger. I remember when he joined you all here at P&C. I hope those of you who have been here a while might take a moment to remember him. I'm wearing Les Santals tonight (although I suppose it's technically morning).

Thanks and have a sharp shave.

- Dan's wife
My deepest condolences for your loss.

Dan was such a lovely and generous person to be around...he will be dearly missed.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your lovely, kind and supportive words about Dan. His passion and talent was rare indeed. I don't really know how to say this but Dan died earlier this year. Shaving, grooming, and perfume were such a big part of his life, and mine as well. I remember when we first came up with the name for General Ledger. I remember when he joined you all here at P&C. I hope those of you who have been here a while might take a moment to remember him. I'm wearing Les Santals tonight (although I suppose it's technically morning).

- Dan's wife

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, it's very sad news indeed.

As @Mark1966 mentioned, I found it impossible to "Like" your post as it's not an appropriate response, so forgive me if I don't use it.

I unfortunately didn't get the chance to purchase his soaps but thankfully Mark1966 sent me some samples to try, they have just become that more precious to me after hearing the news.

- Dan's wife
My deepest condolences for your loss. APR produced some of the finest shaving fragrances that I have had the pleasure of using. Skye Fall and Fenchurch were masterpieces.

Dan's sophisticated comments, generous sales, and dry humor have been missing from the forum as much as your amazing APR products.

Sincerest condolences @electricdreams. The little I knew of Dan he was a massive influence to this little wet shaving community and I imagine to all the lives he touched

- Dan's wife
I am so sorry to hear about that. I spent a lot of time on and off the forums but always enjoyed my interactions with Dan and always felt as though I was talking to someone with a keen sense of knowledge and passion for shaving, it was on a different level and I really enjoyed that. Dan will be sorely missed the world over and I hope he understood how valued he was. I never got a chance to buy or use any of his products but it's fair to say they were magnificent. I recall being around for the beginning but then life issues forced me off the forums and shaving in general but I was always felt proud of what he and all involved as well as this community was able to produce as I am sure he was very proud too.

I will have him in my thoughts when I have a shave tomorrow.
Thank you for coming to the forums and informing us. I am so sorry for your loss.
I feel like collectively we are all at a loss for words, no matter how much words are said.

I have to say that I have been concerned for Dan for some time, and while the news is not a complete shock it does still hurt.

Dan was very generous to many here, and certainly at meets we have held previously. We often talked scents and watches, and he could certainly get fired up at times. It shows passion, one trait I respect.

I wore my namesake Monsta Myrtle just last week which he formulated on my behalf and I believe a few other lucky members got it as well. I only touch it sparingly these days as I have about a third of a bottle left. It has been treasured since the day he handed it to me. There are other special editions that I have kept as well. There are often requests to purchase APR products and the ones that do come up for sale are snapped up fast.

To @electricdreams, my deepest personal condolences to you and your family. I wish that the situation had turned out different. Please reach out to any of the moderation team here - myself, @Mark1966 or @alfredus if there is any assistance you need where you feel we may be able to help.

At one of our meets, he said that if I ever wanted to sell the watch I was wearing at the time, then he would like first refusal. As it was my first 'proper' mechanical watch I purchased for myself, I was never going to sell it but I confirmed that if that day came, I would offer to him first. Seemed like a small token to offer in all that I had received from him.
I never sold it but wear it very, very infrequently. Today it is on my wrist in remembrance.

- Dan's wife
I am so very sorry for your loss. I really enjoyed interacting with Dan, right from the early days. He was a passionate Artisan, who made some truly great products. He was always a generous guy, and he will really be missed.
The wet shaving and fragrance community has lost a true artist.

Amy, my deepest condolences. I’m so sorry for your loss. When I opened my emails this morning I was just lost for words. I’ve spent some time today reading some of our emails and messages.

I haven’t frequented these pages in quite a while but I was drawn here tonight.

Dan and I shared a passion for perfumes, and shared many samples together despite being 9 1/2 thousand miles apart. He was extremely generous to me and I tried to reciprocate the best I could.

Your mention of Les Santals reminded me of the time Dan sent me a bottle of it’s base formula, not a finished retail product, but the compounded base, and simply told me to do whatever I wanted with it. He’d done this before, it wasn’t a first. That’s nearly 3 years to the day. In return I sent him some samples of my ‘Top Shelf’ perfumes. One of which is a bit of a unicorn and he was one of an only a few I’ve ever really told that I own a bottle, and the only person to receive a sample from me. That was a sample of Xerjoff La Belle Otero. A private commission by the ruling Al-Thani Royal Family of Qatar, never released to the public.

cTJoZjy.jpg

I’ll be wearing Les Santals and La Belle Otero this weekend, and may just have a small drink and raise a glass. Rest in peace Dan.

How to express my sincere and overwhelming thanks to all who remember Dan kindly and have shared your heart soothing words here?

Many tears have been shed and I feel so comforted to know some of you will think fondly of Dan and APR products. He really put everything he had into them - his mind, heart and soul, and we both lived and breathed APR for some challenging but rewarding years together.

Special thanks to @Mark1966 for the archive preserving the APR fragrance notes and journey.

This feels a bit awkward but I do have a practical problem that needs solving and I wonder if you lovely P&C folk might be able to help? Let me know if this is the wrong thing or place to put this please, but I do have his collection of fragrances, soaps, splash, brushes and razors. I would very much like them to go to people who would appreciate them rather than putting them on Facebook marketplace and hoping for the best. I haven't taken a proper inventory but if anyone is interested in helping me out I'd really appreciate it. Again please mods let me know if this isn't ok. I feel a bit embarrassed to post this.

Edit: ok I'm even more embarrassed as I just realised I do have access to buy and sell threads. I'll put a post there and please let me know if I need to do something different, I want to respect this forum and its members

This feels a bit awkward but I do have a practical problem that needs solving and I wonder if you lovely P&C folk might be able to help? Let me know if this is the wrong thing or place to put this please, but I do have his collection of fragrances, soaps, splash, brushes and razors. I would very much like them to go to people who would appreciate them rather than putting them on Facebook marketplace and hoping for the best. I haven't taken a proper inventory but if anyone is interested in helping me out I'd really appreciate it. Again please mods let me know if this isn't ok. I feel a bit embarrassed to post this.
Paging @Mark1966 and @alfredus

Don’t worry these guys can help you out a lot easier for you.

How to express my sincere and overwhelming thanks to all who remember Dan kindly and have shared your heart soothing words here?

Many tears have been shed and I feel so comforted to know some of you will think fondly of Dan and APR products. He really put everything he had into them - his mind, heart and soul, and we both lived and breathed APR for some challenging but rewarding years together.

Special thanks to @Mark1966 for the archive preserving the APR fragrance notes and journey.

Edit: ok I'm even more embarrassed as I just realised I do have access to buy and sell threads. I'll put a post there and please let me know if I need to do something different, I want to respect this forum and its members

PM incoming Amy

Last edited:
I certainly would be interested in getting some of his stuff, can I get my place in line?

As a matter of fact I've just coma across three tubs of his soaps, Raconteur, Fenchurch and Torchwood, which shall have a special place in my den.