Barrister & Mann

Oh but you know how to tease don't you... Tut-tut. Naughty @borked.
Only one way to find out mate :)
Am positive that he will even do a deal for cash, that I couldn't achieve trading with him.
Of course you could prove me wrong by making him a reasonable offer...

The stirling black cherry had a stronger scent but b&m Dickens seems to have more going on.
My nose is a little blocked at the moment, maybe I can give a full report in a few days

Interested to hear your report in a few days, unless that crafy old fox @filobiblic beats me to it :)

@eggbert: I'd suggest letting your nose clear out and lathering it first. :) High-citrus scents like Dickens often don't really develop properly until exposed to water, which causes the various volatile terpenes in the oils to vaporize (terpeneless oils don't suffer from this issue, but they have different problems). You should get a lot more lemon and spice when the soap is exposed to water. Hope you feel better soon!

@eggbert: I'd suggest letting your nose clear out and lathering it first. :) High-citrus scents like Dickens often don't really develop properly until exposed to water, which causes the various volatile terpenes in the oils to vaporize (terpeneless oils don't suffer from this issue, but they have different problems). You should get a lot more lemon and spice when the soap is exposed to water. Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks for your words. I will definitely be giving it another go. Can you qualify what you mean by the soap needing to be exposed to water?
Do you mean this is a soap that would benefit from a little soak in hot water before attempting to larger?

@eggbert please display photo of your clear nose after lathering :)
I might have to try something with a little more menthol before I do that. How about I pm you with the photo after I've used an ultra menthol soap?

Thanks for your words. I will definitely be giving it another go. Can you qualify what you mean by the soap needing to be exposed to water?
Do you mean this is a soap that would benefit from a little soak in hot water before attempting to larger?

To put it simply, you can't really smell a lot of the citrus until the soap is exposed to water because the volatile terpenes in the citrus oil do not evaporate from the soap base nearly as quickly. When you add water, they evaporate/vaporize, so it's much more apparent to the nose. It's not absolutely necessary to soak the soap first, but it definitely won't hurt it either. :)

OK. I did lather and shave with it last night. Looks like I might have to change my habits and try a hot water shave for a change.

Had a sniff of the puck this morning after leaving it with a little water on it overnight. The water has mainly evaporated off, but there is definitely more to the scent now.

Bakewell tart is what it makes me think of.

Last edited:
Looking at that production schedule that @Barrister & Mann has, all I can say is

shut-up-take-my-money.jpg

Just waiting for your command master :)

Had another shave with Dickens again tonight. Still get black cherry (nowhere near as strong as the stirling cherry) but now I get the citrus notes and pepper. The cherry is slightly stronger at the start of the shave but I found that at the end all I was left with was citrus.
Much nicer then my initial thoughts, but don't think it's the scent for me. The larger is great though. Would definitely buy other scents.
I used to walk past one of his (Dickens) houses on my way to school when I were a young'un. An old, thatched forge.

I used to walk past one of his (Dickens) houses on my way to school when I were a young'un. An old, thatched forge.

He is a relation of mine. The whole writing thing never really rubbed off on me.

Some early photos and impressions of the three Barrister & Mann soaps that arrived today.

The three soaps
8VBh7K5.png

The insides
JeFEZhS.png

Latha
This is a special soap made for the budget minded. It's a quality soap that I've used before. The ease and quality of the lather produced is exceptional. Well worth the US$10 price tag. The scent neither sparkles nor bombs, as it's probably designed to appeal to a broad range of people. (It's based on a 1950's Classic Barbershop.)

This is a winner of a soap and I've bought this based on the sample I was given by @Nonick. Well worth picking up (along with another soap!) in the upcoming B&M group buy.

Seville
I love a good barbershop scent and this seems to be at the top of everyone's list. It's beautiful scent that truly delights the nose. It's not as sweet or pungent as the Maggards London Barbershop. It is well balanced and a decent strength.

I've heard (and Will warns on his website) that this is a thirsty soap. I haven't tried it yet but look forward to it in the upcoming days.

Rhapsody (seasonal)
rMTj6T7.png

As you can see above, it's like a cookies & cream soap! Dark and creamy soap mix together in this delightfully smelling soap. I can't describe its scent but can pick sweet, floral and citrus. There's meant to be spices as well but I've found the scents pick up with water added. So I look forward to this one!!!

Couple more days...

Couple more days...
Ok Mr Mysterious. What I'm guessing is that you are going to NY in a few days and will pick up soaps (& aftershaves) for us. It seems to be what you're hinting at...

I bought when I did because I wanted the seasonal scent (which I thought would run out) and I thought the group buy was months off from happening.

If you're going to personally pick some up, I will definitely get some more. Or just buy aftershaves which can't be shipped. [emoji6]

I like the quality of their soap, but there's nothing in the fragrances which inspires me to buy more.

If there's anyone that can't wait (and wants a seasonal soap that is currently not in stock), $20 will get you a 5 times used tub of B&M Dickens - delivered.