Brush Reknotting and boring - Boots Vintage - Who do you use ?

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
I am after some opinions/advice as to getting a vintage brush re-bored and re-knotted. I'm particularly after your recommendations as to people you recommend to do the work.

The brush in question is an old boots brush I picked up recently, the handle is in good condition and so forth and I am looking to have it bored to 26mm in manchurian all going well.

I am after some opinions/advice as to getting a vintage brush re-bored and re-knotted. I'm particularly after your recommendations as to people you recommend to do the work.

The brush in question is an old boots brush I picked up recently, the handle is in good condition and so forth and I am looking to have it bored to 26mm in manchurian all going well.
I would suggest that you speak to Doug Korn http://drkorn55.wix.com/dougkornsworkshop as he has had a lot of experience with this sort of thing and as I understand it he does an excellent job.

If you get stuck @todras I could possibly help ;-)
Thanks
Tony

Larry at Whipped Dog may also be of assistance.

Larry at Whipped Dog may also be of assistance.

Does he do the boring and refitting of knots, or just supply knots ?

With my lack of experience, I am leaning towards using one craftsman to re-bore and re-knot the brush based of course on their recommendations as to size.

Does he do the boring and refitting of knots, or just supply knots ?

With my lack of experience, I am leaning towards using one craftsman to re-bore and re-knot the brush based of course on their recommendations as to size.

I think he does - email him and ask, address on his website: http://www.whippeddog.com/

Larry definitely bores brushes and set knots...

If you know exactly what you want - i.e. how deep you want the knot etc. I'm sure many can help you...

But if you need also advice on knot depth etc. I would choose an experienced brush maker.

@todras Vintage Boots old Knot has now been removed and the handle re-drilled to a much larger hole size from 19mm to 26mm and will eventually end up around the 28-29mm mark. Dan is ordering the new knot and as soon as we receive it, it will be mounted into the handle. Anyway here are some photographs with the old knot removed and the 26mm hole re drilled (y)
Cheers
Tony
udrrRQU.jpg

O9CI5eE.jpg

cPMSiry.jpg

yz9ZJhd.jpg

Is that what you call a group of brushes? A supply

I wonder what they call a group of wet shavers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that what you call a group of brushes? A supply

I wonder what they call a group of wet shavers?

An 'expenditure' of wet shavers?

A 'saving' of wet shavers?

A 'contentment' of wet shavers?

Hmmm. I can see a contest here ...

Larry definitely bores brushes and set knots...

If you know exactly what you want - i.e. how deep you want the knot etc. I'm sure many can help you...

But if you need also advice on knot depth etc. I would choose an experienced brush maker.

This is all very bore-ing.

So @Tony Forsyth are you going to tell us what that shiny new addition to your lathe is?