December 2012 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 351

Bought these for about $13 in the army surplus market today. Sorry if the image is huge, I'm on my phone. The right one is a Schick Krona in okay condition, I'm not sure what the Gillette adjustable is. They look gold in the picture but that's the dodgy lighting, they're both silver. Little bit of plate loss on the Gillette, but it'll clean up okay I think. Can anyone ID it for me? Is it a Fatty?

Schick Krona as you have already said and a Slim. Good buying at $13!!!!

Oh nice, I was hoping that it was a Slim. Pretty happy with all that then. The place I bought the Krona from actually had five or six more in varying degrees of disrepair. Most of the stores selling war trinkets had DE's, so if anyone heads over there, it's worth a look if anyone heads over.

It was interesting that the sheila I bought the Slim from wouldn't bargain at all below $7. Pretty unusual from my experience, most places would have dropped a couple of bucks to make the sale. I actually walked away to see if she'd call me back and deal, but I'm guessing she knew someone would take it for what she was asking. Could be that a few wet shavers have already gone through and picked up some stuff. I spied an Omega brush too, but it was half the price of a new one.

I had a silk bathrobe tailored in Hoi An too, it's gunna be a comfy walk from the shower to my bathroom. My family thinks I've gone mad. They might be right.

Last edited:
Nice buy's Sam, at $13 even one of them would be a steal. They look in relatively good condition, handy bonus buys that I'd not thought you'd find. Slim's are fantastic, perhaps best shaver ever made....Krona's are meant to be very mild. Nice work anyway.

I had a silk bathrobe tailored in Hoi An too, it's gunna be a comfy walk from the shower to my bathroom. My family thinks I've gone mad. They might be right.

So lets see....you're in Vietnam........and now the people closest to you think you're going crazy! Well, if you start looking like this guy we're going to have to initiate a group intervention.......or send Captain Willard up the river after you!

Marlon-Brando-as-Kurtz-in-Apocalypse-Now4.jpg

I gave them a scrub with toothpaste today and a reasonable amount of grime has already come off. I think they'll scrub up well.

Apocalypse Now is turning out a little real, Nick. I'm in Cambodia surrounded by temples and locals who keep following me. It's like they sense US currency, haha!

Here's hoping my trip doesn't end in fireworks, it's a distastefully long plane ride home over water.

Any chopper loads of bunnies around Mong?

Pj has given me a New Deluxe or somethng. Some type of open comb with "slight plating loss"

Will give it a whirl after I have dealt with the blades Mong sent.

Any chopper loads of bunnies around Mong?

Plenty, but they don't have a chopper and want cash up front! It's hard to have a bloody beer without encountering them over the weekend. Next time I come here I'm going to get a tshirt made:

I have no money.
I don't want to buy anything.
I don't want a tuk-tuk.
I don't want girls.

I get why people like the ladies, but it's a tourist town for fucks sake! Not hard to find backpacker tourists up for a good time anywhere in the world, let alone here. Where's the fun without a challenge?

I walked past a barber today, stopped in quickly. Bloke spoke really good english, he said a lot of the older western tourists will stop in for a straight shave. I asked about his kit, and it turns out he has some Omega brushes. Not so different after all, eh?

I wimped out on the shave, no evidence of barbisol so I didn't want to risk picking up something nasty.

Does $1000 (or 84 bottles) of wine count as a shaving related purchase?

Only if you splash it on afterwards. Hmmm, I wonder how a fruity red would go as an aftershave???

Only if you splash it on afterwards. Hmmm, I wonder how a fruity red would go as an aftershave???

Hmm, ok. I feel like I am missing out on this thread, having not had to buy any shaving related stuff for quite a while now.

Hmm, ok. I feel like I am missing out on this thread, having not had to buy any shaving related stuff for quite a while now.

Does it have to be shaving related?

Do tell.....ah it's close enough.

Must be a bit of a bugger drinking red up there given the climate......I'm sure you're all over this like white on rice so I definitely do not mentioned it implying that it's something for yourself but I always find it a tad curious that so many folks genuinely believe that red wines should be served at room temperature.

Which in our climate is perhaps 25-35degrees.........hence that pretty cheap red wine at a function/BBQ tastes quite ugh......can't taste anything but the alcohol and is quite horrid.

In reality the most common Australian red wine variants are meant to be served at ~17-18degrees.....big difference compared to the average temps .

Haha sorry to digress Egg......so do tell what did you get and where etc?

Http://getwinesdirect.com I have used them before and got amazing wines for the money.
Getting married in the new year so got a bit of a selection

Now that I am at work I can tell you what I purchased:

Seems like a great selection.

I get my wine from Chris at Outstanding Wines.

He brought the liquor store near where I lived in Sydney as the base for his on-line/mail order business. He has been servicing restaurants and wine clubs in Sydney for years. I get his regular emails but when I run dry I just email him a total price and let him put together a selection for me. It will be a diverse bunch in style and price point but overwhelmingly a great bunch of wines.

When I go away and have to buy over priced rubbish from a local bottle shop I get very sad :worried:

...........When I go away and have to buy over priced rubbish from a local bottle shop I get very sad

The problem with having that many bottles in the house is that the consumption doubles. Here in WA there are a bewildering number of wines. For a while I was buying based on the dumbest name on the bottle or the nicest coloured label or whatever. Every time I drive south there's another couple of new producers with outrageous names and labels. They should give the stuff away! Instead it's cheaper to buy from a bottle shop in Perth than rocking up at the vineyard. Some are even charging for tastings. Anyhow, that's my rant for today. Oops, wrong thread.

A few other non-shaving items I have on the way:

-A couple of Cree LED torches from DX
-A Leatherman MOLLE XL Sheath
-A Maxpedition Mini Pocket Organizer

And some razors:

-Gillette Rocket (standard)
-Gillette Ranger Tech (1941)

I haven't actually won the Ranger Tech yet (please, no-one else bid on it! :D) but I'm really hoping that I do. Have been after one for a little while, and the 1941 is meant to have a better quality plating than the 1946 one (although honestly I'd be happy with either model).

Seems like a great selection.

I get my wine from Chris at Outstanding Wines.

He brought the liquor store near where I lived in Sydney as the base for his on-line/mail order business. He has been servicing restaurants and wine clubs in Sydney for years. I get his regular emails but when I run dry I just email him a total price and let him put together a selection for me. It will be a diverse bunch in style and price point but overwhelmingly a great bunch of wines.

I semi-remember you mentioning this before here, but it had slipped my mind when I went to buy. I might well have tried him had I remembered, as he appears to have the personal touch, whereas getwinesdirect now seems to be a much bigger company than when I originally bought stuff from them roughly 10 years ago.

However, I am not sure about using a blog to sell items like this and $36 per dozen delivery charge is a bit steep to Darwin.

How was the mango beer?

Last edited:
.........I haven't actually won the Ranger Tech yet (please, no-one else bid on it! :D) but I'm really hoping that I do. Have been after one for a little while, and the 1941 is meant to have a better quality plating than the 1946 one (although honestly I'd be happy with either model).

If you miss out I'm sure Mark's got a forgotten shoe box full of the things gathering dust somewhere.

... I haven't actually won the Ranger Tech yet (please, no-one else bid on it! :D) but I'm really hoping that I do. Have been after one for a little while, and the 1941 is meant to have a better quality plating than the 1946 one (although honestly I'd be happy with either model).

I presume you mean me and no, I'm not bidding on one of these at the moment. I think I have one ...

I semi-remember you mentioning this before here, but it had slipped my mind when I went to buy. I might well have tried him had I remembered, as he appears to have the personal touch, whereas getwinesdirect now seems to be a much bigger company than when I originally bought stuff from them roughly 10 years ago.

However, I am not sure about using a blog to sell items like this and $36 per dozen delivery charge is a bit steep to Darwin.

How was the mango beer?

He mainly sells (directly) via an email newsletter or through the shop although his bulk is restaurants and white labelling wine clubs. He is a real character - you know what he likes and doesn't. My wife and I have stayed with Chris and his wife a couple of times - now they were meals (and wines) to remember!

Normally he only covers costs on postage - I suspect he is may not ship to Darwin regularly enough to use anything but AusPost.

If you miss out I'm sure Mark's got a forgotten shoe box full of the things gathering dust somewhere.

Like I said, I think I have one ...

My current problem is razors on top of other razors in an over flowing cupboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.