Do you wear em?

Discussion started by Drubbing, Oct 14, 2011.

1. RazorPlay

RazorPlay Member

Yes they are a bit of an investment but similar to buying a decent DE or SR - they will last a lifetime if looked after in normal use (ie not used by a stockman all day every day). It will be more comfortable, look better and end up costing less than the alternatives. Unfortunately we live in a more disposable society these days...

2. SchoolForAnts

SchoolForAnts Member Artisan Producer

My current employer has them as our uniform hat (akubra), and I have one for at home on the farm too. Winter time is only when I swap out to my tweed caps.

3. Mark1966

Mark1966 Shavepocalypse 'Prepper' Staff Member Site Moderator Grand Society 2016 Sabbatical Fail

Seems you were right. From my 19YO fashion consultant -

'Hats are weird and kinda creepy. It makes you look like you're having a later than mid-life mid-life crisis and thinking you can be cool and pull off a hat when you can't, or you're thinking you can be a private investigator. Neither are good looks.'

SchoolForAnts, Ferret619 and alfredus like this.
  4. alfredus

alfredus organises many group buys State Convenor - SA Group Buy Caporegime

Just grow some hair :D :D :D

Mark1966 and Ferret619 like this.
  5. UKSteve

UKSteve Member

It's not sunny enough here but I would have no problem rocking a nice Panama, probably short brim though. But I'm someone who has the confidence to wear wingtips and shorts, I also couldn't give a shit about anyone else's opinion so...

Mark1966 likes this.
  6. Ferret619

Ferret619 Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs 2018 Sabbatical

Yes unfortunately dispite the precedent of fedora (Frank Santra or Indiana Jones for example) there is a much larger sub group of pompous, overly confidant douchbags who more recently have co-opted the use of this head wear which has left a significant bias for basically anyone under 30, I'm sure I can find some memes for this BRB.
    Oh BTW all hats remotely similar to a fedora are now fedoras, the need for differentiating between them is no more in the eye of the youth.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Mark1966 likes this.
  7. Ferret619

8. Ferret619

On the other hand when a fellow is launching an arctic expadition, dealing with bad guys via a whip, wearing a nice suit in a world with out technicolor or just being a badass the fedora seems to get respect.
    [​IMG]

Mark1966 likes this.
  9. Ferret619

Personally I think do what makes you happy, most days I'm in a cap and have a shemagh round my neck, not fashionable but very functional and serves more than one pourpose so I'm happy