Do you wear em?

Couldn't agree more - you buy it I will wear it :)
Yes they are a bit of an investment but similar to buying a decent DE or SR - they will last a lifetime if looked after in normal use (ie not used by a stockman all day every day). It will be more comfortable, look better and end up costing less than the alternatives. Unfortunately we live in a more disposable society these days...

SchoolForAnts

2018 Charity Auction Winner
Artisan Producer
My current employer has them as our uniform hat (akubra), and I have one for at home on the farm too. Winter time is only when I swap out to my tweed caps.

Mark1966

...when the General talks
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
Seems you were right. From my 19YO fashion consultant -

'Hats are weird and kinda creepy. It makes you look like you're having a later than mid-life mid-life crisis and thinking you can be cool and pull off a hat when you can't, or you're thinking you can be a private investigator. Neither are good looks.'

UKSteve

doesn't like banners
It's not sunny enough here but I would have no problem rocking a nice Panama, probably short brim though. But I'm someone who has the confidence to wear wingtips and shorts, I also couldn't give a shit about anyone else's opinion so...

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
Seems you were right. From my 19YO fashion consultant -

'Hats are weird and kinda creepy. It makes you look like you're having a later than mid-life mid-life crisis and thinking you can be cool and pull off a hat when you can't, or you're thinking you can be a private investigator. Neither are good looks.'
Yes unfortunately dispite the precedent of fedora (Frank Santra or Indiana Jones for example) there is a much larger sub group of pompous, overly confidant douchbags who more recently have co-opted the use of this head wear which has left a significant bias for basically anyone under 30, I'm sure I can find some memes for this BRB.
Oh BTW all hats remotely similar to a fedora are now fedoras, the need for differentiating between them is no more in the eye of the youth.

Last edited:

Ferret619

2018 Sabbatical
On the other hand when a fellow is launching an arctic expadition, dealing with bad guys via a whip, wearing a nice suit in a world with out technicolor or just being a badass the fedora seems to get respect.

Ferret619

2018 Sabbatical
Personally I think do what makes you happy, most days I'm in a cap and have a shemagh round my neck, not fashionable but very functional and serves more than one pourpose so I'm happy

Mark1966

...when the General talks
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
I'd forgotten we had a thread on hats, only one though, I stumbled across it by accident tonight scrolling through the forums.

An interesting read from the beginning - a microcosm of Paste & Cut I think you could say.

eggbert

is full of Vision Collision
2018 Sabbatical
2017 Sabbatical
Da Menth Heads
And I still don't have a hat I like / fell confident wearing.
I've got a largish bonce at 61cm so one size fits most are or of the question, and I want something with a reasonably wide brim considering where I live.
A Panama would seem to be what I'm after, but I've not found one I like that isn't way now than I'm willing to pay.