DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

My parents did the same thing at sunday dinners. It's not always the ideal approach, but it can demystify alcohol, and introduce the social aspect. Yes, kids are impressionable, but if there's one sure way to get lots of them wanting something badly, or have another outlet to rebel against parents, that's to tell them they can't have it, and keep it out of reach.

I think most western nations have varying levels of issues. A lot of it is being young - and that hasn't been legislated out of kids yet. I probably did drink too much as a teen myself, but no more so than the average. I'm pretty sure I'd have done the same even if I hadn't been introduced to a glass of watered down sparkling on sunday evenings.

f7bXqSW.jpg

That'll do

Cold, rainy winter night. Sample constitution in front of me for review. Perfect time for an -

Ardbeg-Uigeadail.jpg

Sometimes you just need that Islay goodnes :)

Dr Pepper - Polish import
Interesting side note, I'm yet to find anyone with an I.Q below above average that likes it (ignoring the singular exception the mixed it with his bourbon, yeah you read that right and I still shake my head thinking about it) which suggests it's a drink for intellectuals.

I had sake last night.. I'm totally out of everything else and I have spend more than I initially wanted to on some books and razors so my booze budget took the hit :(
I'll level with you guys.. my favourite scotch... is glenfiddich 12 Y.O followed by johnnie walker black.
I know, I know...I'll let myself out.

Dr Pepper - Polish import
Interesting side note, I'm yet to find anyone with an I.Q below above average that likes it (ignoring the singular exception the mixed it with his bourbon, yeah you read that right and I still shake my head thinking about it) which suggests it's a drink for intellectuals.

Makes me think of the 'Black Russian Specials' we used to drink. Most bartenders were used to making an Australian Black Russian, with vodka, Kahlua and coke. We substituted OP Bundy for our 'Black Russian Specials' which were:
  • vodka
  • Kahlua,
  • OP Bundaberg Rum
I recall (?) one night a bartender questioning the wisdom of serving us the next round after a 'couple' of these, this was before the RSA laws came in. It was then onto a Japanese restaurant for sake dinner (and a little sake) and then we ended up at Kinselas for some show and the girls insisted on buying pink bubbles. My stomach churns at the combination even thinking about it ...

Tried this last night, was pretty good.

This recipe is also the perfect winter warmer. A hot whiskey is a great digestif or a night cap.

Irish Whisky
• A heat proof glass
• 7/8 cloves
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• Slice of lemon

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Preparation:

• Fill a kettle to boil hot water.
• Place a metal spoon in a glass (will prevent glass from breaking) into the glass to pre-heat it, before emptying it out.
• Cut a slice of lemon, remove the pips and stick some cloves into the fruit.
• Put a teaspoon of sugar into the glass followed by a shot of Irish whiskey. Give the whiskey and sugar mixture a bit of a stir and try to dissolve the lumps.
• Add boiling water and then stir.
• Add the lemon and additional cloves (if desired) to the mix.

Makes me think of the 'Black Russian Specials' we used to drink. Most bartenders were used to making an Australian Black Russian, with vodka, Kahlua and coke. We substituted OP Bundy for our 'Black Russian Specials' which were:
  • vodka
  • Kahlua,
  • OP Bundaberg Rum
I recall (?) one night a bartender questioning the wisdom of serving us the next round after a 'couple' of these, this was before the RSA laws came in. It was then onto a Japanese restaurant for sake dinner (and a little sake) and then we ended up at Kinselas for some show and the girls insisted on buying pink bubbles. My stomach churns at the combination even thinking about it ...
:sick:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope i got a bottle of this for my 21st birthday tastes like earwax mixed with panadol kids formula

Cold, rainy winter night. Sample constitution in front of me for review. Perfect time for an -

Ardbeg-Uigeadail.jpg

Sometimes you just need that Islay goodnes :)

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope i got a bottle of this for my 21st birthday tastes like earwax mixed with panadol kids formula

That is because your 21y.o. mates drank it already and then refilled it with whatever was around.

My mates dad never 'really' noticed his bottle of vodka being watered down each week back in the day.

Don't worry, when you grow up you will be able to appreciate it ;)

Don't worry, when you grow up you will be able to appreciate it ;)

hopefully haha because i have another bottle unopened on the shelf

Actually, sorry mate, I was just pulling your leg. If you don't like it now you never will I'm afraid.

To make up for teasing like that I will take it off your hands and dispose of it for you - no charge to say sorry ;)

On a teleconference for work, glad it is a virtual meeting not an in person on - it has some benefits!