Favourite Coffee

I used to use Moka pots. The problem is that the water comes through at boiling point. Unfortunately machines that make coffee at 80 degrees are one hell of a lot more expensive.
I used to use moka pots as well . Started with a cheapy alu one, then bought a nice stainless steel one from the RE store. I agree the problem with them is the water is too hot.

I did run a cheap $100 sunbeam coffee machine once, mainly because the mrs wanted steamed milk to make coffees. Same problem with the water temp, but a trip to RS components for a 80C thermostat to replace the 90C stat fixed that problem.
Cheap thermostat for $20, fitted to $100 coffee machine, job done. The mrs lost interest in it, and it was just another thing for me to maintain and clean, so I got rid of it and went back to instant.

Last edited:
Geez I wish mine had some eye candy in it, I think the guy I get my coffee from is related to your postman PJ.

Apparently Muzz Buzz is the place to go to. Now you're going to tell me that it appears that my postman works at your Muzz Buzz.

Not a fan of Muzz. Very bland and taste less coffee. Awesome eye candy however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of Muzz. Very bland and taste less coffee......

That's the problem once you become a coffee Nazi. More often than not after ordering one, waiting for it to be delivered, seeing the slightly coloured milky slop I end up taking a sip and walking out. I started doing the desperate thing by asking for a double shot but it invariably just tastes twice as bad. There aren't many places in WA I can knowingly order a good cup. Couple of spots in Fremantle and Subiaco. The rest is a complete gamble. By the way, the Nespresso coffee is fantastic. Pricey, but if you don't have multiple cups a day and hence don't buy fresh beans on a regular basis, it's worth it.

I run a breville 800es and a bcg450 grinder

Using an unpressurised basket on the machine and I've modified the grinder to grind a lot finer.

Draws a good cup of coffee. Once I have cash to burn I will be buying a good heat exchanger job, something like a Diadema and a good grinder to match, like a mazzer mini.

I only buy my beans in 250gm lots from my local roaster to make sure they are still pretty fresh.

Loving the ethiopian yirgacheffe beans at the moment.

It's funny how different people's tastes are.

I was at dinner in Freo with some people, we talked about coffee, and the couple with us swore by the straw-like coffee pods you can get in the supermarket, like a Cappucino and that kind of thing. Instant stuff.

They claimed they beat any barista coffee they had ever tried.

After dinner on the drive home, we decided they had probably only ever had Muzz Buzz, which is hardly the pinnacle of good coffee.

I tried answering this while I was waiting to be let in

however it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Coffee is another of my hobbies, and I would have to say my favourite (so far) was an espresso made with Single Origin Ethiopian Nekisse beans, however I am a bit of a sucker for any of the Ethiopian beans which have huge apple or berry flavours to them.

I use this wee beast from the 70s to make my coffee, and if I do say so myself, it makes the best coffee in Darwin (although if you have ever visited a cafe up here you will know that isn't too difficult).

8855_dsc00750.jpg

I have also previously roasted my own beans, and plan on doing so again once I find the relevant bits needed cheap enough, but am currently surviving by ordering in coffee from down south and getting it sent up.

That's the problem once you become a coffee Nazi. More often than not after ordering one, waiting for it to be delivered, seeing the slightly coloured milky slop I end up taking a sip and walking out. I started doing the desperate thing by asking for a double shot but it invariably just tastes twice as bad. There aren't many places in WA I can knowingly order a good cup. Couple of spots in Fremantle and Subiaco. The rest is a complete gamble. By the way, the Nespresso coffee is fantastic. Pricey, but if you don't have multiple cups a day and hence don't buy fresh beans on a regular basis, it's worth it.

PJ...try Lowdown Cafe in Cloisters Arcade or RE store in North Perth.

I know one of the owners at LD and the Barista at RE is usually my bro-in-law. I have had nice coffe at both and as a rule don't buy coffee out because it sucks.

NB: No responsibility is taken for the quality of your experience or as they say over the pond YMMV ;)

I posted a reply yesterday

but as I went back and tried to add a photo of my espresso machine the post appears to have disappeared.

I am a bit of a coffee nerd, with an old 1970s Bezerra Lever machine, a modern grinder, and even my own little roasting set-up using a breadmaker and a heat gun. I have 10kg of green coffee sitting at home waiting for me to purchase a couple of new parts and get back to roasting.
Coffee up here is dire. I think every cafe in town uses Vittoria coffee, which is pretty nasty compared to many of the other roasters around (but means the cafes get free umbrellas etc). To me, if a coffee has been well made, with fresh beans it needs neither milk or sugar. If I go for a coffee anywhere in Darwin I have milk and at least 2 sugars.

I might come back and post pics when it will let me.

PJ...try Lowdown Cafe in Cloisters Arcade or RE store in North Perth.

I know one of the owners at LD and the Barista at RE is usually my bro-in-law. I have had nice coffe at both and as a rule don't buy coffee out because it sucks.

NB: No responsibility is taken for the quality of your experience or as they say over the pond YMMV ;)

Thanks for that.

Eggbert I used to go to Cafe Uno for a reasonable espresso; I expect they have gone to pot as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eggbert I used to go to Cafe Uno for a reasonable espresso; I expect they have gone to pot as well?
Thanks for the suggestion. I've not tried them yet, but walked past on my way to a bowl of pho for lunch today. They look to be yet another cafe in Darwin that use Vittoria coffee so I am not expecting much, but I will try them.

Hey eggbert, talk to me about coffee.
I need a new hobby, I've done the computer, brewing, shaving and chilli/herbs/gardening thing, looking for something new.
Hopefully moving to a country town in a few months so probably won't get anything decent down there and need something other than water or booze to drink. Also something for when I am up late with a baby due in a few months time.

Where do you typically find machines like yours? What does a decent vintage machine cost s/h? What do you recommend and what's best for spare parts availability if needed?

Was going to just get a sunbeam 5900 from bigw for $288 and the SB burr grinder.
But I'd rather turn it into something more interesting like a hobby so I care and have an interest iin it over and above just having some appliance that may or may not work as expected and be a consumer of bland appliances.
It's just my nature otherwise I'd be shaving with a mach 3, drinking VB and eating only jalapeno chillies.

I picked my machine up while I was back in the UK a couple of years back for about $150. It was a lucky steal on gumtree, as I know if I sold it here in the right place I could get at least $700 for it.

Before I had that machine I had a commercial 2 group machine that I bought at an auction in Cairns from a cafe that had failed. If you have the space at the new place, that might well be the go. My Rancilio cost $250 or so, but you should also factor in a service on a 2nd hand machine at a cost of $100 or more unless you are like me and willing to tinker around. Most parts for 'proper' machines are easily buyable from an Aussie website called coffeeparts.com.au so you can get all you need to service it yourself, and save a lot of money.

If you do consider buying an ex-commercial machine I would recommend trying to get as simple a machine as possible. Once you start looking at automatic machines, if the brain goes, you are looking at hundreds, if not thousands to fix them.

Otherwise, if you are looking at a new machine, then you should be expecting to spend around $7-800 on a Rancilio Silvia or similar for whatever is flavour of the month these days.

You should also factor in a couple of hundred on a decent grinder - I got the Breville smartgrinder when it was 50% off at goodguys for $150 and so far that seems perfectly acceptable.

There are lot of variables you have to get right to make a perfect espresso:
  • The bean must be roasted correctly
  • The beans must be fresh enough*
  • You must get the right grind size for the bean (this can change daily)
  • You must tamp the ground coffee to the right pressure
  • You must flush the group head to ensure that it is hot enough, and the water is slightly cooler than 100 degrees

Then there is the milk frothing. Getting microfoam at the right temperature is a skill in itself.

I don't mean to write all this to put you off, but to suggest it is a perfect hobby as there are so many things to get just right, and if you do, you can have a coffee like no other you have had with a thick, almost chewable texture, and fantastic flavours. I've had coffees that tasted of berries, apples, or cocoa.

If this isn't enough for you, then you can also get into roasting your own beans, and that can be as simple or as geeky as you like.
For simple, you need a popcorn maker with a baked bean can chimney. Chuck approximately 100g of coffee in the popcorn maker, and wait around 6-10 minutes until they are at the roast level you desire.
I used (and will again when I get off my arse to buy the rest of the equipment) a breadmaker and a heatgun. The breadmaker (on its dough setting) agitates the beans, while the heatgun does the roasting. This is more tunable than the popcorn machine method, and can roast you more beans. By moving the heatgun's head closer or further from the beans you can change how long it takes to roast the beans and bring more complexity to the coffee in your cup. Add a thermocouple to the mix, and you can start recording the temperature changes, and work out roast profiles which make coffee that you like.
Or you could spend hundreds to thousands on your own roaster.

Decent beans tend to cost around $13-15 and upwards per 200g bag. Green beans tend to cost about the same per kilo, so in the long run you will save a fair bit of cash.

You probably don't need another forum to hang around on, but take a look at coffeesnobs, it has a great forum, an area where you can buy or sell equipment, and they also sell green, or roasted coffee.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.

* There is a general rule of 3's here. Green, unroasted beans can last up to 3 years before they start to go off, roasted beans can last 3-4 weeks before they are past their best, and ground coffee will last 3 minutes or so.

Cheers, I was up last night looking at places that listed old s/h machines, and well as looking at new ones around $500.
Didn't find much I liked, and don't want to wasts $600-800 on something I might not like as is sub par. Ie a $1k dream machine is better value than a $400 POS that may break in a year, which seems common with some in that price range.

Right now I'm reading creme coffee forums and umming on aring on the breville 900.
And david jones is selling it as EOFY sale for $1199 right now (usually $1500). My finger is hovering over the buy button and will proceed if I read nothing bad about the machine by the end of the day on the net.

That's the dual boiler one isn't it? If it is, it looks like quite a piece of kit for that price.

I haven't read the coffeesnobs forums much recently, but that was getting some rave reviews about the time it got released.

The Australian Breville engineers have been quite active on that forum, helping diagnose/fix issues with the dual boiler and the smartgrinder too. They also seem to have tweaked the machines settings to suit those that are semi-serious about their coffee (as opposed to those that just need a caffeine fix). For such a big company I was quite impressed with them for this.

Thats not to say you will be able to make a superb coffee with your first attempt. I am finding it is an ongoing process. I get good coffee frequently now, but the god shot (as it is called) is still very infrequent.

One final thing I must impress upon you is that you will not get great coffee from supermarket beans. I try, when possible, to get beans from the roasters of cafes I like. However, I guess you will be limited in your options because of where you live (try Darwin!) but there should be a few roasters out West? If you absolutely have to buy coffee from a Deli or supermarket, look for one that has a roasted on date that is within the last month. If all you see is a best before, walk away. Experience has shown me that they are just not worth it, even if they are 1/3 of the price of coffee from a roaster.

/Edit I see 5Senses have a presence in Perth so you should be far better off for good coffee than I am.

Coffee grinds make great compost too.

Might be worth a look at a Breville outlet store if you have one in Perth. Someone recently saw refurb machines for $995.

Last edited:
I have an expobar office semi-auto, Expobar Office Semi Automatic Espresso Coffee Machine, they retail for about $1300. It is an awesome piece of kit, 23kg dry weight.

Eggbert have you considered mail order beans? I am fortunate to live in Hobart where we have a few roasters who know what they are doing, I can even get locally roasted beans from woolies. I have been tempted to try www.coffeeco.com.au a few times but haven't needed to yet.

I am trying to convince my wife that we need to spend $250+ on a better grinder, she thinks I am mad and/or obsessed, fortunately she likes a good coffee as much as I do. I don't know what grinder I would get, I like the look and price of the Lelit that coffeeco stocks. His espresso machines look pretty good too.

Far out that sounds spammy, sorry for that I am not affiliated with coffeeco, I haven't even ever bought from him.

Postage to the NT bites.

I have ordered beans off the web but it adds quite a few $$ to the cost.

i currently have 7.5kg of green beans I bought from coffeesnobs that I really should get around to roasting. I guess I need to find a garden i can borrow/