February 2012 Member Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
See edit above. it's been replaced since the admins couldn't do admin stuff as dave still was the main admin.
New site is a lot busier than some I am posting on.

Well it just got a new member. Nice to have a specific SE site. Is Hoosier Trooper modding it?

What is it?

British #4 Set with the rarer black handle popular. A small consolation prize. Link here if you missed it on the previous page

Making up for missed out on this :(

Well it just got a new member. Nice to have a specific SE site. Is Hoosier Trooper modding it?

Same crew: possum, wchnu and hoosier.
Ha! Are you blobby?

wchnu is the admin
rocketman is the big mod

hoosier and possum are sub mods

Same crew: possum, wchnu and hoosier.
Ha! Are you blobby?

wchnu is the admin
rocketman is the big mod

hoosier and possum are sub mods

That's me. Strangely enough it's a name that's usually been taken. So is Blobster. Got desperate and started calling myself Pjotr. Like passwords (I've got an entire file with 30 odd different passwords) you can also very quickly run out of easy user names. Seems like a pretty friendly place.

Last edited:
British #4 Set with the rarer black handle popular. A small consolation prize. Link here if you missed it on the previous page

Making up for missed out on this :(

That's a really nice looking travel set. Nice bakelite cases. Admittedly I know bugger all about toggles but it seems strange that a razor with corrosion due to "storage" would be worth that much. Obviousy it is...

That's a really nice looking travel set. Nice bakelite cases. Admittedly I know bugger all about toggles but it seems strange that a razor with corrosion due to "storage" would be worth that much. Obviousy it is...

The Chrome are rarer than the gold-plated ones and getting a set with all the paperwork is very, very rare. Even if the corrosion didn't come off I had another to swap into the set.

Happy enough with the Popular set though - I do like my Brits

The goodies have landed

Actually forgot I had bought most of them so lotsa fun undoing the parcels.
5 SE razors, 5 DEs and a schick injector (must get some blades as I now have 2). Three brushes of varying quality, one of which has a brass handle that when finances pernit I may try and persuade our resident renovator to have a go at, some nasty looking DE and SE blades and some kind of curved and a little brass blade holder with 3 wrapped hollow ground PAL De blades. And of course Marks razor - worth more than all of the above combined - still like I say its quantity not quality that matters. All in varying states of cleanliness. Even more exciting there is another parcel about to leave with about the same quantity. (I smell some Pifs coming up).
Photos to follow

........Three brushes of varying quality, one of which has a brass handle that when finances pernit I may try and persuade our resident renovator to have a go at......

Don't worry about the finances. Althugh some are easier than other, it takes a while to clean it out, place an order and wait for a knot to arrive and then fit it. All this can take weeks. Alternatively it's really easy to do particularly if it's an old handle. You don't need any electrical tools although starting the removal process through drilling a hole in to the centre of the cropped knot does help. All you really need to invest in is some sand paper and a bit of epoxy glue. I can certainly help you with advise and choice of knot. Have you any idea of the size of the handle? If you give me the e-bay link I can maybe get an idea

Don't worry about the finances. Althugh some are easier than other, it takes a while to clean it out, place an order and wait for a knot to arrive and then fit it. All this can take weeks. Alternatively it's really easy to do particularly if it's an old handle. You don't need any electrical tools although starting the removal process through drilling a hole in to the centre of the cropped knot does help. All you really need to invest in is some sand paper and a bit of epoxy glue. I can certainly help you with advise and choice of knot. Have you any idea of the size of the handle? If you give me the e-bay link I can maybe get an idea

It was some months ago so I am not too sure. I will take a photo next to the Blobby so that may give you some idea.

Boring but last lot

razors Feb 2012 001.jpgrazors Feb 2012 016.jpgrazors Feb 2012 002.jpgrazors Feb 2012 017.jpgrazors Feb 2012 003.jpg

Thats all folks - the funny looking yellow thing is a razor hone - how you would use it I have no idea. The razor in the middle of it is a PAL blade - can't see how that fits into anything either.

SEs look scary. I don't think I'll be trying one out for a while.

SEs look scary. I don't think I'll be trying one out for a while.

They actually look a lot scarier than they are. I still have not moved from my Featherweight Gem as it is the suggested starting point. I wikk shortly put up photos (dont groan people) of all my SEs and ask the experts where I should go to next. I still have 3 or 4 comming over but have about 8 now. There will be Featherweight PIFs in the furture so gird your loins and put on your bravery hat cause there aint no feeling like it. (And of course you can join the growing band of TM shavers).

Is that the brass one in the middle? And if so is it solid do you think?
Yes and Yes it is a nice lump of a brush. I am fairly certain it is brass all the way through. Looking at where the bristles go in there is no sign of any changes. Workable with you reckon - certainly wouldnt have to worry about damaging the outside! Can you give me a knot site ? After something at least as big as the blobbie I have a Chinese Badger that is quite a bit bigger that I like too.

Yes and Yes it is a nice lump of a brush. I am fairly certain it is brass all the way through. Looking at where the bristles go in there is no sign of any changes. Workable with you reckon - certainly wouldnt have to worry about damaging the outside! Can you give me a knot site ? After something at least as big as the blobbie I have a Chinese Badger that is quite a bit bigger that I like too.

Oh dear, a big brush man! The site to get knots as follows:

badger hair shaving brushes and knots, wholesale pricing

There are a couple of others. However one has virtually no choice and the other you pay for Chinese virgins to select and bundle Manchurian blond badger hair.

If you're going big I'd suggest selecting a knot with extra hair. Provided your knot size isn't smaller than 22mm you've got a bit of choice. Going by my experiences with drubbings handles I still wouldn't set it much above a 45mm loft.

First thing is to strip the old knot out and remove all the old glue from the aperture. Going by the looks of it, that won't take long. That'll give you a diameter and an idea of how deep you can sink it.

Cut the old knot about 5-10mm above the top of the handle so it'll leave you something to grab on to with a pair of long nosed pliers. Sink a drill down the centre till you hit the bottom of the aperture (it's never more than 20mm) and start peeling away clumps of old knot. Hit it with an old chisel/knife/sandpaper until everything's out. Then see what you've got. Have fun! Looks like you've got a few others too.

My package from Nanny's Silly Soap Co in the UK has arrived already. I got:
  • Ice&Slice (Lime and menthol) soft soap 100g
  • Sandalwood hard soap 145g (which I forgot to buy a tin/dish for)
  • and several little 10g samples to try out.

If there hadn't been an error on the postage costs of her 50g tubs I would have bought a couple of those instead of the samples.

Hmm, what shall I use tonight?
Citrus zinger, lavender, eucalyptus and ti tree, spearmint cooler, or arabian nights ?

Status
Not open for further replies.