February 2012 Member Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they have a lot of other shaving stuff there on top of the list you made last page?

I can't seem to find Godrej menthol up here which is an Indian brand cream or soap that is supposedly rated quite well, and was going to see about getting a few tubs or tubes while I am there. I presume being in Little India that should be fairly cheap and easy to get.

Unfortunately my trip has been delayed until after Easter now.

Well, I hadn't planned on buying anything else until my trip, but a friend in the UK strongly recommended Nanny's Silly Soap Company products, and I succumbed.
Sandalwood hard soap, ice & a slice soft soap (lime and menthol), and a couple of samplers are now heading my way.

That is my one luxury purchase for this pay packet, so I will try to shut up here for the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Well, I hadn't planned on buying anything else until my trip, but a friend in the UK strongly recommended Nanny's Silly Soap Company products, and I succumbed.
Sandalwood hard soap, ice & a slice soft soap (lime and menthol), and a couple of samplers are now heading my way.

That is my one luxury purchase for this pay packet, so I will try to shut up here for the next 2 weeks.

Heard a lot of good stuff about Nannys. Haven't bought anything much for a while. Could be tempted if their postage charges don't suck.

Could be tempted if their postage charges don't suck.

It was about $10 postage for the items I listed above, but any more, and it jumped up to $36. I might have ordered a couple more items (or larger than just the sample sizes) if not for that.

There was a 10% discount on Artisan Shaving but that seems to have expired two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Another GEM

Although I already have one, I have just won a Gem Featherweight for the vast sum of .99c US with postage it comes to $6.00 US. I figure you can't have too many SE razors!

Actually when it arrives there could well be a PIF headed the way of someone brave enough to try the TM method of shaving.

Very underrated SE. Extremely light and in SE terms mild on the aggression scale. Gives you great control and is ideal for the first couple of shaves with an SE blade. Good razor for SE starters.

By the way, without pics it didn't happen Glen!

Very underrated SE. Extremely light and in SE terms mild on the aggression scale. Gives you great control and is ideal for the first couple of shaves with an SE blade. Good razor for SE starters.

By the way, without pics it didn't happen Glen!

Here ya go
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
Looks in good nick and I have to say the way prices are rising on Ebay I think I did OK. Seems like evry man and his dog are buying razors on ebay - I used to get 4 or 5 razors for 10 to 15 dollars and now they are starting at 20.00 plus - my psychological barrier I'm afraid. I will sit back and try to swoop on things like this.

Nothing wrong with that one. I bit of grub on the handle but a scrub with a bit of soap will take care of that.

Nothing wrong with that one. I bit of grub on the handle but a scrub with a bit of soap will take care of that.

Nope quite happy given that there is a bunch of them at "Buy It Now" prices of $25.oo plus.
getting stupid I reckon. maybe if I run low on cash I can ship my stuff back to the boy in St Louis and make a fortune. :) Nah I am enjoying myself too much.

I can't seem to find Godrej menthol up here which is an Indian brand cream or soap that is supposedly rated quite well, and was going to see about getting a few tubs or tubes while I am there.

There's a shop around the corner from work that is an Indian wholesaler and they sell Godrej.

I keep meaning to go there but I pass this awesome shop on the way called Cape to Cairo and their chilli sticks and Drywoers just tempts me too much.

Maybe next week I will make it there as I am keen to try Godrej as I clearly have 2.5 square centimetres of space on my shelf and I can't allow any empty spots in my shave shelf.

Once I make it in there I will post back how much the stuff is so if you fancy a tub or tube I can help you out.

What's happening Mark1966? I refuse to believe you haven't landed any razors lately. Surely you haven't collected all there is to collect.

By the way, don't know what happened here but it seems CFM's trusty following of fanboys were all asleep at the same time. Or am I missing something. The last one he sold, admittedly an Empire set I believe, went for over $200.

...I have to say the way prices are rising on Ebay I think I did OK. Seems like evry man and his dog are buying razors on ebay - I used to get 4 or 5 razors for 10 to 15 dollars and now they are starting at 20.00 plus
LOL, this is what I was saying to myself 4 years ago; prices too high, too many people interested and then bidding.
Obviously not the case, and quite funny to read you thinking the same 3 years later, but the same prices, as you've done OK over the past year. Prices just go in waves, not always going up, just certain times of the year or certain years they go up, then they come back down I guess...

What's happening Mark1966? I refuse to believe you haven't landed any razors lately. Surely you haven't collected all there is to collect.

By the way, don't know what happened here but it seems CFM's trusty following of fanboys were all asleep at the same time. Or am I missing something. The last one he sold, admittedly an Empire set I believe, went for over $200.

Well January was quiet:

Gillette #15 set cased
Gillette #19 Traveller Set
Gillette #15 Traveller Set
Gillette #58 - aluminium (uncased)
Gillette 1960's Aristocrat - cased
Gillette Canadian Traveller Set
Gillette Single Ring - modified

with February quiter still:

Gillette Chrome Toggle F4
Gillette Traveller Set
Gillette Knack test razor
Gillette 4 piece Tech
Gillette Slim Aristocrat
Gillette Rocket HD (?) Brush and Old Spice Mug

The stuff I'm interested now (like the Bottom Dials recently) is the stuff EVERYBODY is after with prices to match!

with February quiter still:

Gillette Chrome Toggle F4

u srs?

That's the #2 razor that every collector wants, the #1 being the bottom-dial.

And yes, the chrome toggle is the rarer and more sought after out of the toggles. In order of rarity/desirability:
  1. Chrome Toggle (I think they are all 1-5 adjuster)
  2. Gold 1-5 Toggle
  3. Gold 1-9 Toggle
  4. Nickel 1-9 Toggle

Would love a Toggle myself but at the lower end. I'd probably use it, then get it Rhodium'd as a personal use piece.

You watching this auction Mark? I have seen a few nickels and they seem to not go for anywhere near the rest... only issue this one is a US only sale. Maybe you could get it shipped to Glen's son? :D

I know my Razors, especially in the old Gillettes. I own a few too, including year-on-year Milords, a very early gold traveller set and a few others.

The Non-gillettes I am a bit rusty on.

Yep. I already have one and was hoping this was an upgrade - it probably isn't and I will pass it on soon.

That's the #2 razor that every collector wants, the #1 being the bottom-dial.

And yes, the chrome toggle is the rarer and more sought after out of the toggles. In order of rarity/desirability:
  1. Chrome Toggle (I think they are all 1-5 adjuster)
  2. Gold 1-5 Toggle
  3. Gold 1-9 Toggle
  4. Nickel 1-9 Toggle

Would love a Toggle myself but at the lower end. I'd probably use it, then get it Rhodium'd as a personal use piece.

Hmmmm, maybe my description is a little 'loose'. I've always heard the toggles referred to as gold or chrome but I think that the latter is probably nickel plated - am I missing something? The wiki over YHW seems to suggest the same thing

I understood that the relative scarcity was along the following lines:

1. Gold 1-5 Serial numbered Toggle (I have one)
  2. 'Chrome' Toggle (not sure if they are 1-5 or 1 -9, I'll check tonight but they are a different adjustment to the other ones)
  3. Gold 1-9 Toggle D 1 ( I have one)
  4. Gold 1-9 Toggle F 4

I've had and sold a couple of Gold F 4s. I'm looking to get a nice one eventually to complete the Toggle 'set' Would love a cased serial number one too, there was one not too long ago here - VERY nice!

You watching this auction Mark? I have seen a few nickels and they seem to not go for anywhere near the rest... only issue this one is a US only sale. Maybe you could get it shipped to Glen's son? :D

Yes I'm watching :D It will go fo H-U-G-E dollars given that it is NOS with case, paperwork and shipper - the full monty this one. He has a couple of others he is selling as well. He indicated to me that:

'These pieces truly were sitting in a basement for 50 years and just never got used. Her late husband worked for Gillette and then Braun for over 30 years and in his beginning years with the company, he was a salesman and got the "old" stock from stores that the store owners didn't want or have room for anymore. He kept it and it's been in a time capsule ever since...

Funny thing was, it is my mother in law who has all this stuff and one summer morning I saw all of this on a table at a yard sale she was having. Without really knowing their worth, I told her to put it away until I had some time to sell it for her on Ebay. :) Imagine, most of these items had a sticker on them on a table for $.25 each... :<)'

That would have been some yard sale!

Geez RM, I never knew you're a bit of a Gillette dude.

Yep he is, some nice stuff he has from pics I've seen around. He is just a little more discrete than me.

And have you set your sights on a razor for every blade? (now that would be a collection that would almost dwarf Marks)

That WOULD dwarf mine. His is pretty nice anyway I think - but you can't be the razor blade king AND the razor king !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.