February 2013 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Running a bit late for this month guys. Guess I'll start things off :D

I haven't secured it yet, but I'm hoping to win a nice condition British Gillette NEW. It will be my first open comb razor too. Exciting times :)

This month's purchases:

Gillette Big Boy cased
Gillette Big Fellow - Old Type cased
Gillette #15 cased
Eclipse Red Ring
Gillette Standard Combination Set
Gillette Aristocrat - cased

None have arrived yet so no pics. Why do I keep doing this? Do I NEED any of these?

Must stop myself ...

Don't you already have a couple of red rings? Is this one an upgrade?

This month's purchases:

Gillette Big Boy cased
Gillette Big Fellow - Old Type cased
Gillette #15 cased
Eclipse Red Ring
Gillette Standard Combination Set
Gillette Aristocrat - cased

None have arrived yet so no pics. Why do I keep doing this? Do I NEED any of these?

Must stop myself ...

Looking forward to the pics Mark. You seem to have a talent for picking up cased razors in great condition.

No, as I said in that thread - 'Awesome razor but probably in the 'too good to use' category unfortunately.'

It was actually this one - a late night eBay error.

I saw the main pic with the case looking in great condition and hit the button before looking at the description and other pics. It is worth what I paid as is but will not the the better case for the collection I was hoping - so it will be for sale again soon!

I bought this at an antique market last week. The whole lot in pretty good nick, toothbrush still wrapped, blade unused, styptic still wrapped, shave stick unused and still wrapped, and the brush is there. The razor was in very good condition, barely used it appears, and well looked after. not much of a clean up necessary. Only thing is the tooth brush holder is broken but I doubt I will use this case much for travelling, mostly just for show.

VgD68kn.jpg

9vVGXQe.jpg

z2D8K9l.jpg

GaxNeEh.jpg

OLk7rz7.jpg

Cost me $30. Was it worth it? And what do you think the brush is made of? I think it may be horse hair judging by the colouring, but I'm no expert. The brush is made in Aus by Carlton. If you have any info about this stuff I would love to find out.

Cheers, Louis.

I bought this at an antique market last week. The whole lot in pretty good nick, toothbrush still wrapped, blade unused, styptic still wrapped, shave stick unused and still wrapped, and the brush is there. The razor was in very good condition, barely used it appears, and well looked after. not much of a clean up necessary. Only thing is the tooth brush holder is broken but I doubt I will use this case much for travelling, mostly just for show.

Cost me $30. Was it worth it? And what do you think the brush is made of? I think it may be horse hair judging by the colouring, but I'm no expert. The brush is made in Aus by Carlton. If you have any info about this stuff I would love to find out.

Cheers, Louis.

Nice pickup. A good condition fat handled Tech - nice shaver. Certainly good value if you are going to use all the parts, a little on the high side just for the Tech.

Scores in the wild are better anyway!

Lovely little brush. Tiny! Could be horse or pure badger. My money's on horse. Unique little set up. I'd pay $30 for it. You should use it. Forget the blades obviously.

Well I used the whole set up today with my normal prep (shampoo and condition my face in the shower) and a full day and a half of growth. I tried to salvage the brush as much as possible by using conditioner and olive oil mix and trying to lather the combo for a couple of hours. The brush was shedding hair like a dog with mange! but eventually it stopped with plenty still left on the knot. It softened up and seemed pretty good. Stank like you wouldn't believe! far worse than my badger brush. Left it over night lathered in proraso soap to get rid of the funk. Didn't work all that well, still has a fair stench radiating from it. But super soft and not a lot of fanning of the hairs. Put a new Derby extra (the blade I'm sampling currently) in the tech. Lathered up a bit of Kitchen's Velvet stick, which foamed and lathered into a nice cream. Originally in the travel canister it smelled of musk stick candy! After the funky brush went at it... not so nice :wacko:. The brush and/or lather held water like a diabetic camel!
eyEwKKHs.jpg

Any way. I had quite the shave with the set up! The Tech was so very nice compared to the Gillette NEW OC I was trying out. A very mild razor. Perhaps more so than my Merkur 33C which i started with. Had to do an extra pass/a few touch-ups at the end (mostly around the corner of the jaw and chin) but otherwise a very smooth and forgiving shave. My Spieck AS balm was very soothing on the touched up areas. I am thinking I might take it for my first DE ATG shave it was so very smooth. After An hour or so the smell of the musk is very noticeable. Which I'm not sure if I like. After all that I'm very impressed with my 60 odd year old set. I was seriously doubting the effectiveness of both the stick and the brush. at the end of the day I think money well spent.

SHHHHHHH - don't tell anybody, but this is coming my way.

It is an Australian set and I pleaded for it to be allowed home. Took a financial hit for the Nation but it will be winging its way here tomorrow - a little bit of Aussie history returned to its rightful home!

Patriotism at it's most expensive! That's a nice looking set. Is it fair to assume that due to rarity, the wallet is hurting from that one?

Patriotism at it's most expensive! That's a nice looking set. Is it fair to assume that due to rarity, the wallet is hurting from that one?

It is nice and the JNO Baker sticker clearly places it in Australia - they were a large retailer in Sydney with mail order as well. A significant Aussie supplier of razors. Financial it was not too bad - but that is all relative!

Wow .... That's awesome Mark! Green and Gold, very patriotic!

Thanks mate - I think so :)

Nice. Not sure if most true dinky di Aussies would feel connected to the Milady Decolletee bit. Should have been renamed the Aussie Outback or a name with kangaroo,footy or Sheila in it.

It does look pretty amazing though.

Last edited:
Looks like a really nice razor. I would love to have a bit of Australiana like that! Didn't know we got a mention from Gillette down here. Does any one else have any Aus specific razors?

Nice. Not sure if most true dinky di Aussies would feel connected to the Milady Decolletee bit. Should have been renamed the Aussie Outback or a name with kangaroo,footy or Sheila in it.

It does look pretty amazing though.

Yeah, jsut have to ignore the Milady bit!

Looks like a really nice razor. I would love to have a bit of Australiana like that! Didn't know we got a mention from Gillette down here. Does any one else have any Aus specific razors?

There is also a #21 Australian Set and a #48 set in an Australian specfic box (see #6 in this thread).

I also have a 1906 Single Ring that the seller claimed was from an estate sale and I'm claiming is the oldest known Australian sourced Gillette :D Not sure if it is true but prove me wrong!

I also have a JNO Baker single ring clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.