February 2013 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a consultation with one of our regular experts in the field, I have taken a punt on the Gillette shown in these images:

$%28KGrHqJHJBIFBJlYzu!4BREMG73Kjg~~60_1.JPG

$(KGrHqJHJFMFD5tpV-DPBREMG-(i6Q~~60_12.JPG

Not a great deal of money involved really, but fingers crossed that it is in pretty good nick when it arrives. Should be at least user grade which is all I am really after.

Last edited:
Apparently I was the 3rd person to enquire about dumping the Rolls razor and just buying the Gillette, so it doesn't surprise me.

Hopefully it cleans up nicely. I know a lot of people here prefer the slim to the fat boy, and maybe that will come later, but the FB has always been the one I wanted to try.

Nice pickup eggbert!

I got something in the mail today. I wonder who T L M was:

Whoever it was he had good taste!

Look at the detail on this ...

It is a 1917 Old Type Combination Set. A nice addition :)

My trouble now is that the shelf for these is full!

Nice work eggbert. Be careful cleaning it up- the gold plating damages easily.

Well, after missing out on the original NEW (that I overbid on anyway!) I now have two on the way :) Thanks again to Mark for his help with this search

Gillette travel shaver leather bound case England | eBay

PURSE GLOVES FRAMES PERFUME SALT BOWL GILLETTE SHAVER LOT FLEA MARKET SWAP MEET | eBay

The second one was a bit of a gamble- not sure what the go is with the handle. The head looks in good shape though, so I can always make a frankenrazor!

The second one was a bit of a gamble- not sure what the go is with the handle. The head looks in good shape though, so I can always make a frankenrazor!

Does it have both parts of the head?

Nice work eggbert. Be careful cleaning it up- the gold plating damages easily.

Well, after missing out on the original NEW (that I overbid on anyway!) I now have two on the way :) Thanks again to Mark for his help with this search

Gillette travel shaver leather bound case England | eBay

PURSE GLOVES FRAMES PERFUME SALT BOWL GILLETTE SHAVER LOT FLEA MARKET SWAP MEET | eBay

I see you also used Mark in a cunning plan! I'm no expert but the second head looks like an old type. The handle's a bit confusing but then so is the entire lot. A shaving cross dresser?

The good news about the second set is that there is a LOT there you can give to your wife - always a good idea!

The bad news is that the handle is missing the 'neck' that goes onto the top of the handle tube and screws into the head.

ID wise it is an Old Type Brownie .

I might have a neck that will fit BTW. Check that the tube is not split too.

Nice.

Thomas Le Methode?

Oh dear - don't give him any ideas!

In case you missed them on the previous page pics below:

The good news about the second set is that there is a LOT there you can give to your wife - always a good idea!

The bad news is that the handle is missing the 'neck' that goes onto the top of the handle tube and screws into the head.

ID wise it is an Old Type Brownie .

I might have a neck that will fit BTW. Check that the tube is not split too.

Oh dear - don't give him any ideas!

In case you missed them on the previous page pics below:

Thanks for the clarification Mark, I thought it might be something like that. Sure, if you have a neck that would suit I'd love to take it off your hands- just shoot me a PM with details and we'll work something out.

From what I have read, there's a good chance I could use a handle from a fat handle tech or similar on it also (providing the neck and the countersinking match up well enough to properly 'squash' the pieces of the head together around the blade).

Nice set you got there too- missed the original post.

Thanks for the clarification Mark, I thought it might be something like that. Sure, if you have a neck that would suit I'd love to take it off your hands- just shoot me a PM with details and we'll work something out.

No worries - probably look on the weekend

From what I have read, there's a good chance I could use a handle from a fat handle tech or similar on it also (providing the neck and the countersinking match up well enough to properly 'squash' the pieces of the head together around the blade).

Yep - they are pretty interchangable - being an Old Type though may be an issue

Nice set you got there too- missed the original post.

Thanks - it got lost on the previous page!

I was always conflicted with blackadder. The comedy was brilliant but I have always had something against Rowan Atkinson.

Have never liked him in anything

.........The comedy was brilliant but I have always had something against Rowan Atkinson.

Have never liked him in anything

I can see that. Outside of Blackadder (forget Series 1) he's just one of those annoying, rubber faced comedians. The British version of Jim Carrey.

A new arrival:

IMG_20130225_145414_zpsf892161b.jpg

IMG_20130225_145426_zps9f5b225e.jpg

IMG_20130225_145451_zps917bc566.jpg

Thanks go out to Mark for spotting this one for me.

Positives: plating looks good, no cracks in the handle. Should clean up nicely.
Negative: Some of the teeth are bent. Any suggestions on the best way to safely straighten them?

A new arrival:

Negative: Some of the teeth are bent. Any suggestions on the best way to safely straighten them?

Are they just the end ones per usual drops? If so it may be fine as is. If not you may have troubles. The heads were cast and even with heat bending them tends to cause cracking and breakages. if you must do it a little heat and GENTLE bending.

Status
Not open for further replies.