February 2013 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst not of the shaving variety, I treated myself yesterday.

Laphroaig 10 Y.O is probably my favourite single malt, so when I heard it was on special I had to grab a bottle. The Ardmore was something new that I picked up on a whim. Enjoyed a wee dram with a friend last night and it was very impressive.

NICE! I picked some up duty free a year or so ago, a very nice if rather peaty drop the Laphroaig!

NICE! I picked some up duty free a year or so ago, a very nice if rather peaty drop the Laphroaig!

You're not wrong. And I'm not sure you could even call it an acquired taste- I liked it from the first, but most people can't stand it.

Amusing tidbit:

In fact, it was considered so unpalatable that during Prohibition it was legally imported to the U.S. as medicine
Scotch as Medicine | FUSSYlittleBLOG

My other favourite is a rahter different one.

Chalk and cheese really

I always thought that Laphroiag tasted a little mediciney when I was trying to aquire a taste for single malts (I failed).

I'm on this particular Glenfiddich drop at the moment, sourced from the alcoholics dream that is Changi airport. I find it to have a strangely prominent nutty flavour towards the finish. It's distasteful to my palate, but it does stand out against the Glenlivet's and Laphroaig's I've tried. I've had enough dabbling in scotch, I can't acquire the taste either. Back to Jameson for me.

Grr!

My phone has been sitting at the StarTrack (AAE) warehouse since yesterday lunchtime and I can't get it delivered until Monday.

All I require is for FedEx to talk to StarTrack so that I can collect in person at the warehouse, but they are all being idiots!

I'm on this particular Glenfiddich drop at the moment, sourced from the alcoholics dream that is Changi airport. I find it to have a strangely prominent nutty flavour towards the finish. It's distasteful to my palate, but it does stand out against the Glenlivet's and Laphroaig's I've tried. I've had enough dabbling in scotch, I can't acquire the taste either. Back to Jameson for me.

Hmmm, 'The first virgin American and European oak finished whisky in the world." - so there might be a good reason it is the first then :confused:

Grr!

My phone has been sitting at the StarTrack (AAE) warehouse since yesterday lunchtime and I can't get it delivered until Monday.

All I require is for FedEx to talk to StarTrack so that I can collect in person at the warehouse, but they are all being idiots!

Bummer!!!

Ummm, that would have been no great loss ...

...Have you looked at the bakelites that Italian Barber gets in?.....

Not until you just pointed it out to me. What I'm chasing is another 7O'Clock bakelite just in case my current one breaks. Or, a Gillette one. They look almost identical, metal cap, bakelite plate and handle. The problem is that anything with Gillette on it has daft asking prices (thanks to a number of dedicated collectors I could mention). I'm surprised the Gillette collecting mob doesn't include these for completeness. On the other hand it's a good thing otherwise the daft asking prices would actually get paid.

Not until you just pointed it out to me. What I'm chasing is another 7O'Clock bakelite just in case my current one breaks. Or, a Gillette one. They look almost identical, metal cap, bakelite plate and handle. The problem is that anything with Gillette on it has daft asking prices (thanks to a number of dedicated collectors I could mention). I'm surprised the Gillette collecting mob doesn't include these for completeness. On the other hand it's a good thing otherwise the daft asking prices would actually get paid.

Hmmm, would they be those bakelite things I've been throwing out? :embarrest:

So this is the Executive I ended up with after it had a bit of a cleanup. Seems to be in a pretty good state other than the plate loss.

Now to use it. What number would you recommend for a first shave considering I am coming from an EJ De89?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362211762846.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362211762846.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 6
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362211792004.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362211792004.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 7
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362211807059.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362211807059.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 7
So this is the Executive I ended up with after it had a bit of a cleanup. Seems to be in a pretty good state other than the plate loss.

Now to use it. What number would you recommend for a first shave considering I am coming from an EJ De89?

Looks good.

What you want to do before using is pop a blade in and check that the gap is consistent and changes as you adjust it. Loosen the silo doors before you change the adjustment. You should be able to see the difference in how the blade is sitting.

I tend to use my Fatboy on 7-8 but that is a little more aggressive than the EJ. I'd say that the equivalent is about 4-5 at a guess.

Looks good.

What you want to do before using is pop a blade in and check that the gap is consistent and changes as you adjust it. Loosen the silo doors before you change the adjustment. You should be able to see the difference in how the blade is sitting.

I tend to use my Fatboy on 7-8 but that is a little more aggressive than the EJ. I'd say that the equivalent is about 4-5 at a guess.

I was shaving when you wrote this. Inside of the razor was clean as, and I went through each of the settings as you suggested.

I guessed and tried a 6 as I guessed it was slightly more aggressive than average.

Unfortunately I had one of those days when I just couldn't get a decent lather going using Nanny's Silly croap and a cheap boar brush (had to re-lather between each of 3 passes!).

I noticed a lot more feedback from the Gillette - not sure if that is standard but there appeared to be a lot more noise as it went through the bristles.

Considering the lather failure it was a very nice shave and I think I am close to a convert. However I'm not sure I need more than one adjustable unless an amazing swap / deal comes my way.

I'm not sure I need more than one adjustable unless an amazing swap / deal comes my way.

'need' is a funny word. I'm regularly reminded on another forum that I once said I couldn't see the 'need' for more than one razor, we all know how THAT turned out.

No you will not 'need' another adjustable. The head on the Slim is a little different than the Fatboy though as is the balance - just saying ...

Status
Not open for further replies.