February 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long awaited mail call today!

Some Spitfire Solid Cologne from the wonderful @Kerry@Phoenix&Beau - cracking scent from just opening the container, can't wait to use it. Much smaller than I was expecting - but I have no reason to really expect anything larger, I was just thinking soap puck size I suppose! As it is these would be a GREAT travel cologne, very compact and not a LAG I presume.

The other arrival was definitely long awaited. I thought of buying one (or indeed two with consecutive numbers for myself and my son) of these when released by Simpson but then prevaricated due to the cost and they ended up selling out. So I've been hunting around for a while and finally number 19 has come into my hands -

With the Isle of Man 2012 coin in the base and a lovely colour this is a great looking brush -

'Manchurian badger' knot in all its 22x48mm glory

Used only once according to the previous, original, owner. Not sure if I can use this now or if I have to wait until my birthday - might be a nice present for me :)
Thanks @Mark1966 and that brush is an absolute beauty. Have you used our cologne yet? Hope you're enjoying it.

Best regards and happy shaving!

Kerry.

I received a beautiful Brad Sears/ Lee Sabini Jade Alibaba so no quality issues. However, I was particularly disappointed in the packaging. Came to me enclosed in bubble wrap and plonked in a paper bag. No box included and I have conveyed my disappointment to Brad. He will rectify but my point is packaging shows how a vendor cares about their product.
Exactly and I am compelled to mention Con @shavetheman as a stellar example of how it should be done.

Photo_Grid_1487937774709.png

When your @Tony Forsyth synthetic arrives. Mmmmm. I love the complex resin pattern and I'm looking forward to using my first plissoft type knot.

Photo_Grid_1487937774709.png

When your @Tony Forsyth synthetic arrives. Mmmmm. I love the complex resin pattern and I'm looking forward to using my first plissoft type knot.

I will be honest. That looks much nicer than the photos on the site. Good eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a beautiful Brad Sears/ Lee Sabini Jade Alibaba so no quality issues. However, I was particularly disappointed in the packaging. Came to me enclosed in bubble wrap and plonked in a paper bag. No box included and I have conveyed my disappointment to Brad. He will rectify but my point is packaging shows how a vendor cares about their product.
I hear you, and I was also frustrated with the way it was sent. But then you use it and all is forgiven. Enjoy a spectacular brush.

Not shave related, but certainly P&C inspired -

When I was travelling to the UK in 2014 and looking for travel clothes somebody here suggested R B Sellers for their chinos which were great. I've been on their email list since and they have fair dinkum sales at the end of each season. By that I mean:
  • initial sale with wide range of items at 20% or so off
  • further sale with usually a fair range but some gaps at around 40-50% off
  • clearance sale, often with limited range with items 70 - 80% off original pricing
So those two shirts, marked prices total $130 and currently on clearance sale for $40 (for both) or 70% off. Sure postage bumps it to $50 but still pretty decent for the price. Obviously a fairly rural look which may not be for everybody but that is OK too!

Can anybody guess what is in here?

Under the third layer of wrapping is an almost full set of www.squadronsoap.com.au soaps :)

I brought a couple from @SchoolForAnts and asked for 'samples' of the others for the PCTB4 and this is what I get - a set of full sized soaps (y)

So, have you signed up for the Paste & Cut Travelling Box No. 4 yet BTW? You DON'T want to miss out :banghead: :banghead:

jkuh3fk.jpg

So with much fear (honestly!) I open the parcel from The Stray Whisker. I sit there holding the tub of soap, unopened for maybe 5min just staring at it. That label is something else but what kept me opening it was the potential of being revolted by the scent. Slowly I open it. Nothing "hits me in the face" after I remove the lid. Strange, I was expecting it to be stronger. Move the tub slowly up to my face; nothing.... nothing... nothing... nearly nose on the soap and... oh, that's quite nice. We're off to a good start. I'm happy to open the A/S now and lather the soap. I might even have a B&M EDT in my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.