Gillette Minora Stainless.

Minora are nowhere near or the same as the ASCO bulls :muted: t blades

Hahahaha, to be fair I don't think anything is quite like ASCO (particularly the Red's) unless my memories of Derby Extra are failing me. I don't even consider myself to have a thick beard at all. I have a little over 100 ASCO orange's somewhere but after that Red experience... yikes! I didn't even make it through the 4th stroke. It was an immediate change out for me. It's good to hear I wasn't the only one.

Given Minora's only got better maybe I need to give the old ASCO's a more thorough trial.

How many Minora blades have you used @Holiday. Could it have been a bad blade? I see you have compared them to Nacet's which makes sense because this is the way I felt about Nacet's however I have had many good shaves with them but that first shave can be a bit gauging.

Hahahaha, to be fair I don't think anything is quite like ASCO (particularly the Red's) unless my memories of Derby Extra are failing me. I don't even consider myself to have a thick beard at all. I have a little over 100 ASCO orange's somewhere but after that Red experience... yikes! I didn't even make it through the 4th stroke. It was an immediate change out for me. It's good to hear I wasn't the only one.

Given Minora's only got better maybe I need to give the old ASCO's a more thorough trial.

How many Minora blades have you used @Holiday. Could it have been a bad blade? I see you have compared them to Nacet's which makes sense because this is the way I felt about Nacet's however I have had many good shaves with them but that first shave can be a bit gauging.
OMG!!! I hate bloody Derby blades pissy green and black.

OMG!!! I hate bloody Derby blades pissy green and black.

I did the stupid thing and bought 100 of the premiums recently on a whim but absolutely know I will regret it. The only thing good about the Derby blades are the packaging. I tried the Derby USTA, they are okay but there are plenty of better blades out there.
I'm going to go on a blade tour once I get back into it full swing and give the old Derby's the benefit of the doubt but I'm not expecting much.

We definitely need a comprehensive guide to blades here. What would be cool would be for us to enroll them as a blade each week for the shaves of the week and come up with an overall rating and also map out origins, manufacturing plants and accessibility. If the blades get a higher rating (set at a minimum threshold) across the board then we can go so far as to add links to the best places that carry them both local and international. If we can manage that then we might encourage local sellers to carry them if need be and offer better prices too.
I wonder what blade will sit on top on this forum for blade of the year. Hype wise the Gillette Minora's have it but its debatable. I know the YMMV aspect but having something like that would be a good indicator as to where to spend your money and not waste it on ASCO reds or Derby's if they are indeed as bad as I remember them. Also special mention goes out to the Wilkinson Sword blades you can get at Woolworths, they're the work of the devil and probably more of a discouragement to DE shavers in Australia than anything else. Absolutely terrible blades from what I remember too. I shudder to think how many people have picked up those blades as their first and given up on traditional wet shaving based on that bad experience.
Supermarkets in Australia are doing wet shaving a disservice. On one end of the scale you have the wilkies which are horrible (Not all Wilkinson Sword blades are bad) and on the other end you have Coles flogging off a pack of 10 King C Gillette blades for roughly the same price as 100 Astra Platinum Geens so there is like zero incentive for supermarket shavers to enter the hobby.
Oh yeah and the Wilkinson Swords are also wildly overpriced. Might as well buy a pack of 100 Derby blades for the same price then at least you'd have 100 of them rather than 10 horrible blades.

Last edited:
How many Minora blades have you used @Holiday.
It's only my first blade @Rusty Bridges and I have had similar experiences with Nacet took 3 shaves to become comfortably smooth and sharp (buttery) although the Minora do appear to be a sharper blade and will see how long it lasts. I was previously confused that everyone was comparing to Aussie Spoilers which start off buttery smooth and sharp. I agree with all previous comments about Minoras compared other modern top tier Gillette blades like Nacet and Rubies. I dont know if I prefer them over Wizamets, time will tell.

The encouragement here is definitely something. I am putting a lot of faith in these blades on a blind buy and am probably going against every logical rule on blade purchases but what the hell I might as well. I feel like I will hit that 1000 blade purchase quicker than I think.

Hahahahaha that was quite the meme ride. I totally didn't expect that last one though. LOL hahahaha

In about 20 years you the investment will pay off.
I did the stupid thing and bought 100 of the premiums recently on a whim but absolutely know I will regret it. The only thing good about the Derby blades are the packaging. I tried the Derby USTA, they are okay but there are plenty of better blades out there.
I'm going to go on a blade tour once I get back into it full swing and give the old Derby's the benefit of the doubt but I'm not expecting much.

We definitely need a comprehensive guide to blades here. What would be cool would be for use to enroll them as a blade each week for the shaves of the week and come up with an overall rating and also map out origins, manufacturing plants and accessibility. If the blades get a higher rating (set at a minimum threshold) across the board then we can go so far as to add links to places the best places that carry them both local and international. If we can manage that then we might encourage local sellers to carry them if need be and offer better prices too.
I wonder what blade will sit on top on this forum for blade of the year. Hype wise the Gillette Minora's have it but its debatable. I know the YMMV aspect but having something like that would be a good indicator as to where to spend your money and not waste it on ASCO reds or Derby's if they are indeed as bad as I remember them. Also special mention goes out to the Wilkinson Sword blades you can get at Woolworths, they're the work of the devil and probably more of a discouragement to DE shavers in Australia than anything else. Absolutely terrible blades from what I remember too. I shudder to think how many people have picked up those blades as their first and given up on traditional wet shaving based on that bad experience.
Supermarkets in Australia are doing wet shaving a disservice. On one end of the scale you have the wilkies which are horrible (Not all Wilkinson Sword blades are bad) and on the other end you have Coles flogging off a pack of 10 King C Gillette blades for roughly the same price as 100 Astra Platinum Geens so there is like zero incentive for supermarket shavers to enter the hobby.
Oh yeah and the Wilkinson Swords are also wildly overpriced. Might as well buy a pack of 100 Derby blades for the same price then at least you'd have 100 of them rather than 10 horrible blades.

If @SpeedyPC says a blade is a grail blade, my advice is stock up if the price is right! Sooner or later the North Americans will catch on and you can kiss all the available stock goodbye.

Last edited:
It's only my first blade @Rusty Bridges and I have had similar experiences with Nacet took 3 shaves to become comfortably smooth and sharp (buttery) although the Minora do appear to be a sharper blade and will see how long it lasts. I was previously confused that everyone was comparing to Aussie Spoilers which start off buttery smooth and sharp. I agree with all previous comments about Minoras compared other modern top tier Gillette blades like Nacet and Rubies. I dont know if I prefer them over Wizamets, time will tell.

Seems consistent with my expectations and experience of Nacets.
I have 100x Rubie blades but don't recall the quality of them but I wouldn't be surprised if they are similar to Nacet's.
If the Wizamets are very similar to the PolSilver blades then they are very versatile and smooth in my opinion.

Part of my reasoning to have a shavette in the den to use up crappy blades

I was planning on buying a better cheap DE blade shavette for kicks. I have a feather artist club which is great and a Turkish DE shavette which is a bit light weight and awkward to use so there is definitely room for a better cheap DE shavette in the collection. I have seen one for $20 odd dollars which seems okay as a feather knockoff for DE blades. HAHAHA Jeez, those 100x Derby blades are going to be 200 blades. Oh well, one blade per pass then. :D

In about 20 years you the investment will pay off. When those blades become u
Hahaha, thats what I am hoping lol.

If @SpeedyPC says a blade is a grail blade, my advice is stock up if the price is right! Sooner or later the North Americans will catch on and you can kiss all the available stock goodbye.
Yeah I believe it! I think if memory serves me right he went crazy on the PolSilver blades too which turned out to be a great idea. I was lazy and thought they'd be around for ages and I'd always have a chance to buy much more but that was a mistake. Definitely not making that same mistake this time.
I have 600 Minora's already and am waiting for the price to drop ever so slightly again so I can pickup a few hundred more.
If we had a good local supplier of Wizamets I would buy 1000 or more of those too.

There is nothing better than consistency in your shaves and knowing you have enough so you don't have to be so precious about it.

Last edited:
YMMV it was more like MEH! to
LK91Bde.gif
BBS
Yeah so far I'm getting MEH!

Seems consistent with my expectations and experience of Nacets.
I have 100x Rubie blades but don't recall the quality of them but I wouldn't be surprised if they are similar to Nacet's.
If the Wizamets are very similar to the PolSilver blades then they are very versatile and smooth in my opinion.
From experience Rubies shave smooth in harsher razors (R41, Blackland Dart, Timeless Bronze OC) whereas Nacet shave best with 34C and Rockwell 6S.

I'd happily trade 1,000 Nacets for Rubies as when I stocked up I enjoyed the 6S but have since upgraded to more efficient DEs and find them too harsh...?

Really enjoy the Rubies, Yellows, Silver Blues and Wizamets but Minora Stainless stay smoother/sharper for longer in a variety of DEs (slant, SB, OC...)... YMMV

From experience Rubies shave smooth in harsher razors (R41, Blackland Dart, Timeless Bronze OC) whereas Nacet shave best with 34C and Rockwell 6S.

I'd happily trade 1,000 Nacets for Rubies as when I stocked up I enjoyed the 6S but have since upgraded to more efficient DEs and find them too harsh...?

Really enjoy the Rubies, Yellows, Silver Blues and Wizamets but Minora Stainless stay smoother/sharper for longer in a variety of DEs (slant, SB, OC...)... YMMV
IF you want to buy THOUSAND Rubies blades from the most trusted supplier see link https://gemstonetrading.co.uk/5-10-25-50-100-gillette-rubie-platinum-plus-de-razor-blades/

800 Rubies https://gemstonetrading.co.uk/offer-800-double-edge-de-razor-blades-gillette-rubie-xl-pack/

Last edited: