Jewellers loupes for honing

khun_diddy

diddy_arko!
State Rep - SA
What's a good magnification level? Do I need inbuilt lighting? What are some good brands?

At the weekend I had a look through Steve's loupe that he got off eBay. It seemed to do quite a good job at showing the bevel and edge. I believe it was a 30x magnification one.

The BelOMO 15x or 20x are taking my fancy. They seem to be well constructed. I wonder if that is too low a magnification factor?

Oh great, just pressed BUY less than an hour ago on some stones and now I see this. Something else I need to buy to get my edge right.

Kinda kidding mate. Watching this thread with keen interest. Only loupe I have is the 8x I use to check out my film negatives. Too weak for straight purposes methinks.

They shipped quickly and the fact you can adjust for your eyesight is a plus. Image quality with mine is excellent. There is no doubt concerning the state of the bevel or chipping.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-60X...s-jewellery-/221740159503?hash=item33a0be520f

I got mine from the Australian distributor.
This is mine. I think it is fantastic.

Steve

They shipped quickly and the fact you can adjust for your eyesight is a plus. Image quality with mine is excellent. There is no doubt concerning the state of the bevel or chipping.
I picked up one of these at @bald as's recommendation. You can clealy see the edge of the blade. I have not used it to chesck my own honing yet but ran my rye over @Mark's work on the kami. Excellent view of the edge.

And yes, shipping was very fast.

Looks good - one on the way :)

@Pjotr I wondered that as well. I better get in and get the blades I want now before @Mark1966 drives up the "collectable factor" on even the ebay chipped and damaged specials. Maybe he wants a loupe to check for shedding in his brush collection. I think we need a poll - why does @Mark1966 want a loupe?

I do need another cup of coffee.

Absolutely @gthomas04. It is those small beans that really count.

It's dead easy - but: you have Ebay fees, shipping fees, ebay fees on shipping! and Paypal fees - of course also on the shipping.

So what might be a great bargain, when you pick it up might end up costing way too much for somebody else to buy from you...you have to do your homework and check out the Chinese competition...