Jewellers loupes for honing

What's a good magnification level? Do I need inbuilt lighting? What are some good brands?

At the weekend I had a look through Steve's loupe that he got off eBay. It seemed to do quite a good job at showing the bevel and edge. I believe it was a 30x magnification one.

The BelOMO 15x or 20x are taking my fancy. They seem to be well constructed. I wonder if that is too low a magnification factor?

Oops, late to the party. Here is my best answer...

I have nothing against loops, they are better than the naked eye and definitely better than assuming what your edge is like.

I use scopes exclusively. They don't only show you EVERYTHING but they also help you improve on your mistakes and create your own progressions, remember this is an art. Creating and edge is like drawing a picture, no 2 are the same.

"shave test is the ultimate test"
This is something I hear almost every day, however I don't fully agree although it does tell you a lot. The shave test doesn't tell you if your edge is pitted, foiled, burred, nor does it show you a false edge or wire edge if it has developed. Both tests are important.

Here is an example..

For demo purposes I have created micro chips on an edge on one of my razors and have taken a photo using both a jewelers loop and a microscope and I think we have a clear winner. I'll let you be your own judge.

Here is the photo that I've just taken of what I'd call a "bad edge" with my jewelers loop, looks fantastic here! (it's a cheap ebay loop which says 40x but I don't believe so)

Edge%20Loop_zpsvzncoacz.jpg

Here is the same razor in the same spot taken by my 400x microscope, The toothiness is much clearer through this magnification, it will still shave well but the edge may not hold up very long and the edge will feel aggressive.
Edge%20Scope_zpsa4h2kaxk.jpg

Which one do you get?
If you don't take honing too seriously and just want to do edges for yourself then you can survive with a loop.
If you are a honing nerd, perfectionist, willing to improve day by day and have a "sharp fetish". Or if you're doing edges for others apart from yourself well you know the answer.
Have fun!

Very informative post Mark.

I have a couple of loupes en route and I look forward to seeing how they go. Having said that, this post and Dr Matt's videos have piqued my interest in microscopes and as I do want to become a honing nerd, I believe I'll get a scope one of these days. Can you recommend any brands/models?

The loop I'm using claims 60x and does show the blade condition very well. I have a microscope on the computer as well which is also very handy. Not a super expensive one but works well. It claims up to 500X but I'm not so sure.

Very informative post Mark.

I have a couple of loupes en route and I look forward to seeing how they go. Having said that, this post and Dr Matt's videos have piqued my interest in microscopes and as I do want to become a honing nerd, I believe I'll get a scope one of these days. Can you recommend any brands/models?
Don't feel bad for grabbing a loupe using spare change, they do have their purpose. You may come across an ebay razor, if you can detect a chip with your loop you know you've got some bevel work to do.

This is the one that I have, worth every penny. There are ones with heftier prices but they do offer better software and are user friendly from what I've seen. The cheaper alternatives are a real bang for buck if you have the patience to play around with them until you find the sweet spot.

I am also waiting in this magnifier to come in so I could try it to see if it can be good enough as a starting point at the very least. Will update you once I get it.

@Mark I like the look of that ebay loupe. And the price is really good. I will get one if you find it is ok.

Steve

Don't feel bad for grabbing a loupe using spare change, they do have their purpose. You may come across an ebay razor, if you can detect a chip with your loop you know you've got some bevel work to do.

This is the one that I have, worth every penny. There are ones with heftier prices but they do offer better software and are user friendly from what I've seen. The cheaper alternatives are a real bang for buck if you have the patience to play around with them until you find the sweet spot.

I am also waiting in this magnifier to come in so I could try it to see if it can be good enough as a starting point at the very least. Will update you once I get it.
Steve dropped off his microscope today. It's the first one you linked to. It does really incredible magnification for sure. My six year old boy also loves it so I'll have to buy one 'for him'.

Here are some shots I've just done. The first is of the edge of a Crown DE blade with the head of a toothpick for scale. As you can see, the toothpick is sharper than the blade! Second is an 'A' from Australia on the 10 cent piece.

GLtP6qf.jpg

f53k5yA.jpg

Believe me @stillshunter ,@khun_diddy is using the Big Mac. Basically my scope is a USB web cam. I use it on my Linux box with the programme "Cheese". To my way of thinking the ebay 6.95 scope is human eye only. It could be done I suppose but the eye piece is very small so photographing through it could be problematic.

Steve dropped off his microscope today. It's the first one you linked to. It does really incredible magnification for sure. My six year old boy also loves it so I'll have to buy one 'for him'.

Here are some shots I've just done. The first is of the edge of a Crown DE blade with the head of a toothpick for scale. As you can see, the toothpick is sharper than the blade! Second is an 'A' from Australia on the 10 cent piece.

GLtP6qf.jpg

f53k5yA.jpg
Great photos Khun Diddy. A setup like this is not very costly at all and considered a very vital tool to your honing kit. Works on Mac and PC as you can all see and doesn't need fancy software, just your basic webcam app will do the trick.

Used my loupe for the first time in anger this affternoon. I honed one of the Dovo's. Progression through 3 stones; 1,000, 3,000 & 8,000. Then used the loupe and saw I needed a little further honing. Another quick progression and all was good.

A good scope reveals sooooo much more than a cheap kid's magnifying glass. The proof is in the pudding and tomorrow's shave will reveal all.