July 2016 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mail call:- Finally at last got my hands on the Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger v2.0 Fibre 27/52mm knot & loft :D:):sneaky: and I'll be shaving with this brush tomorrow night ;)

A8XICg9.jpg

Looking very much forward hearing your thoughts!

Ordered this month and already got:

Semogue 1305 (even if I'm a big fan of synthetic brushes)
Fine Accoutrements Platinum Shaving Soap
Fine Accoutrements Platinum After Shave
The Stray Whisker After Balm

And waiting to be delivered: Cella, Haslinger and Saponificio Varesino

The Stray Whisker After balm from @shavetheman is excellent, particularly for the price. I'm a huge fan of what he has done developing and launching it as an Australian product.

Went down to the Mornington peninsula and stopped in to a couple of antique stores looking for furniture.
Instead came home with two Gem single edge razors. One from USA and there other British made.
DdFjJLk.jpg

mV3wdyu.jpg

7WKpsiB.jpg

Got both for $20.
Now to find some blades for these puppies

Last edited by a moderator:
Went down to the Mornington peninsula and stopped in to a couple of antique stores looking for furniture.
Instead came home with two Gem single edge razors. One from USA and there other British made.
Got both for $20.
Now to find some blades for these puppies

Nice pickup mate!

Connaught is the go for GEM blades - http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an English one with the hex handle... what a gem (no pun intended) of a handle! Yep, Connaughts are the place! The head on mine seems to have a more pronounced slant than the hex-handled one here. Mine doesn't appear to have been damaged or modified in any way, though. My blades arrived but I haven't had the guts to use them as yet! Might buy a few more "Nice Cool" alum blocks from India first!

The sad thing about the Gem hex handle is that it is NOT interchangeable with Gillette, modern or other razors! It has a male thread at the head end, not a female hollow like most razors. A shame... it's a great handle otherwise!

The sad thing about the Gem hex handle is that it is NOT interchangeable with Gillette, modern or other razors! It has a male thread at the head end, not a female hollow like most razors. A shame... it's a great handle otherwise!

I think you can get an adapter for that - @bald as is the one who has all the SE knowledge...

If you have a lathe and rudimentary skills you could make a suitable adapter. There may even be one somewhere.

I do have a lathe and slightly more than rudimentary skills and am considering making a couple of adapters. The neck of the Gem handle is a little too small in diameter to drill and tap a new female housing as such an arrangement would, I believe, be too fragile, so an adapter seems the only way to go. I would use brass, of course, so finding stock which is already plated might be an issue aesthetically. SIGH! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.