Knives & Knife sharpening

Mainly the size of the knives compared to the size of the stone. I'd use it for smaller knives.
Thanks for the reply, I am now clear on your statement - it's just a personal preference thing, rather than a technical issue/weakness - understand and completely valid. :)

FWIW having used it for months and also based upon extensive looking into the actual Edge Pro Apex system (which this is a clone of) the stone size relative to the knife isn't an impediment. If all you're after is out and out speed, perhaps so - but might I suggest you view the EPA videos done by the maker of the EPA and you'll see once comfortable the user can work very rapidly. In fact amongst the sharpening systems the EPA has much larger stones than many of the others e.g wicked edge, Lansky etc. - so gives precision with a good large sharpening area.

Smaller knives are actually the trickiest to do, bigger ones you just gradually move the knife along as you work or move in sections - they're actually pretty easy. Like I said I did a Canadian Fighting KNife in it with no issues. But a little pocket knife was a bugger to do and I used a ceramic hone instead. The EPA maker, Ben actually suggests folks start out with larger knives first. Obviously what we define as large/small is subjective. :)

Of course it's frowned upon by the traditionalists but that's to be expected and not where I'm coming from.
Ummmm I've not seen this - sure real old schoolies swear by freehand but it's just a given even your Murray Carter's of the world will not be able to replicate an angle when freehand like one can with this system. There's been so many systems out there for donkeys years now that the concept of a system being used is pretty widely accepted.....freehand sharpeners look at it as an art in itself (going freehand) - so you tend to have your legit old schoolers, who always learnt this way and know nothing else and then you have your new freehanders, who like the quick results and element of skill involved.....these folks tend to go crazy and spend major money on japanese natural polishing stones etc. Thats more your 'mirror edge' scene....not my thing at all.

I like the look and feel of the stones too.
Really? Hmmm I take it you haven't used it yet? As the general feedback that consistantly comes back is that those OEM stones are pretty so-so - but they are long lasting. Try reprofiling a knife with that #120 and you'll be in for a LOT of work. In comparison my #180 Moldmaster (SiC) from Congress Tools will go through 2-3x as fast, pretty sure all the OEM ones are Aluminium Oxide, harder wearing but not as bitey.

Lastly I'm also considering buying a single bevel vegetable knife (usuba) and, although I'm sure people have used an edge faux for this, I can't imagine it really doing the job particularly with regards the flat side.
I'm no expert on sharpening single beveled knives but I'd not have thought the flat side needed much, if any sharpening - just removal of any burr thats formed. For the beveled side the EF would work well but yes for the flat side no good. But again not an area I'm au fait with.

And, finally, it gives me an excuse to buy nice gear.
Ah now we get the real excuse - haha and I can't fault you on this one. :)

You looking at the Bluewayjapan site? Unfortunately there's not much else out there that'll import/export to Australia for reasonable postage.
When I'd seen the King stones beofre yes it was through his site, I've not looked for a while. You might be able to find them via one of the countless vendors on Rakuten. Sometimes the postage can be quite reasonable, but varies a lot as it's a portal for a lot of smaller Jap vendors.

I'm hoping, given that I'm just buying carbon steel from now on, that they'll almost sharpen themselves.

Fair enough reasoning PJ, sounds like it'll be safe enough for me to go with the EF seeing as I'm pretty clueless. The old man suggested today that I give him it for Xmas, so that's two birds with one stone. I think I'm getting a meat grinder for sausages in return.

I'll be cutting brisket super thin for pho in no time.

Pretty keen on the Opinel No. 6 as a solid paring knife? The price is pretty good for the quality it seems.

Fair enough reasoning PJ, sounds like it'll be safe enough for me to go with the EF seeing as I'm pretty clueless...........

Nothing wrong with the edge faux (the name's a bit naff though).

...Pretty keen on the Opinel No. 6 as a solid paring knife? The price is pretty good for the quality it seems....

I use a carbon steel one and it's always insanely sharp with an occasional touch up with a stone and regular steeling. Don't know anything about their stainless versions.

Fair enough reasoning PJ, sounds like it'll be safe enough for me to go with the EF seeing as I'm pretty clueless. The old man suggested today that I give him it for Xmas, so that's two birds with one stone. I think I'm getting a meat grinder for sausages in return.

I'll be cutting brisket super thin for pho in no time.

Pretty keen on the Opinel No. 6 as a solid paring knife? The price is pretty good for the quality it seems.

I own both the carbon steel and the stainless steel versions of the Opinel No. 6

Both are great knives. The carbon steel gets a very good edge very easily, but it needs resharpening more often. Also, cleaning/oiling the carbon steel after use is crucial- they get surface rust very easily.

BOT
As I think I mentioned before, my system came with an empty bottle of oil. What was within the bottle has made the manual unreadable.

Can one of you with a legible manual let me know what angle each of the colours represents, and what would be recommended angles for this system for kitchen knives?

Finally got my Faux Edge Pro.
Man what a wait that was!!!! Posted on the 8th of November would you believe! Still I paid $32!

Probably won't get a good play with it until new year...
Is it absolutely necessary I have an angle cube ? Would one of these suffice?

Last edited:
BOT
As I think I mentioned before, my system came with an empty bottle of oil. What was within the bottle has made the manual unreadable.

Can one of you with a legible manual let me know what angle each of the colours represents, and what would be recommended angles for this system for kitchen knives?

Ok Blue 24 degrees Yellow 20 degrees Both recommended for Hunting & pocket knives
Green 18 Degrees no suggestion
Red 15 degrees Black 10 degrees Kitchen knife table knife

HTH

Cheers Glen it certainly does

Folks who are very keen will swear you do need the angle cube. Use without and see how you go IMHO anyway. That DX thing is as much or more than an AC.....especially if you buy off Ebay.

Your knives won't get very sharp if you just use the phone.

On our annual visiting the inlaws in Sydney - wandered up to Cabramatta to go to a few of my faves shops. Ended up finding a HUGE whetstone approx 25 x 16 x 8cm, must weight around 5kg! Its a natural jade-ish coloured stone, quite soft and with a grit I'd estimate at around 1200-1500.

Was an absolute steal at $12.50 each, quite seriously I can't imagine these selling for under $50 elsewhere and thats being very conservative. A lot of them were in pretty rough condition - obviously very old stock and they were quite rustically cut etc and had been chipped on route etc. Picked the best of the lot and flattened one surface out with a cheap #180 block that they inlaws had.

Plenty more of them there, in a yellow cardboard box in the same section as the knives, big supermarket on the end of the main street in Cabra. Is just a fun change of pace when I don't feel like using the EP for a touch up job - can do super fast too.

Also bought a great carbon steel bone cleaver, $22.....seriously good quality - not to be confused with the 'bling' looking stainless steel ones in glossy boxes. These were packed loosely and some were a bit rough but again I picked the best of the bunch - which will clean up really well (plan to remove the kuruchi(?) finish and stain/varnish the handle). Am sure its on par with the CCK ones - is branded 3 RAMS IIRC.

Also bought a bunch of assorted Thai made 'Kiwi' knives....horrible cheap stamped steel but come in some handy designs and are quite sharp OOTB. Embarrassingly cheap (this place is the cheapest in Cabra - great store for everything to be honest!) - ranged from $1.80 to $7 in price - as few of their cleavers were up to $11! Haha big coin, but I'd not touch them as the metal would be so soft I'd be hesitant to use on bone.

Your knives won't get very sharp if you just use the phone.

fezkq.gif

Just picked up an Opinel Carbone No 8. The blade seems fine, but the rest of it shows why the knife is so cheap IMO.

Wish I could carve

Les Opinel customs de Rob

Last edited:
............The blade seems fine, but the rest of it shows why the knife is so cheap IMO........

Surely you jest!! I think the handle and the closing mechanism in particular are great in their simplicity. The design hasn't changed in decades aside from adding a very nifty and simple change to allow the blade to be locked when it's folded too. Without doubt the best, most affordable, single blade pocket knife out there. It's a great paring knife too.

Just picked up an Opinel Carbone No 8. The blade seems fine, but the rest of it shows why the knife is so cheap IMO.

Wish I could carve

Les Opinel customs de Rob

Sorry that you feel that way. Each to their own, as with most things. Personally I really like the utilitarian, simple design of the Opinels. I like that it doesn't cost the earth, and in many ways that leads me to be more ready to really put the knife to work (rather than worrying about getting a mark on it or something stupid like that).

I guess the thing to remember about Opinel knives is that they aren't meant to be over-engineered show ponies. These are knives that historically have been used by peasants, farmers and the like for every day tasks. These are not people that have the money to spend on a masterpiece of a blade- they just need a simple, reliable knife. Enter the Opinel (usually the #6, from what I've read).

Anyhow, hope you are able to get some good use out of your #8 regardless.

(great link too- I also wish I could carve!)

I guess the fact the knife was over the $20 mark (because of where I live) I was expecting a little bit more.