Lather Shots

Paladin and APR -

cATvUo8l.jpg

gEZZPEVl.jpg

Drooool!

IMG-20220428-071133.jpg
And is this the 'right' amount of soap? ( B&M Seville in the Yaqi bowl, before spreading in the bowl it was about a penny size on the pick, and about 1-2mm thick)
Really depends on how much you use normally. I like to load heavy and probably more soap than I need. Basically, put how much you want in there, make a lather how you like it and whatever is left in the bowl after you rinse it out is how much extra you put in :whistle:

A good starting point you have there. You'll know pretty quickly if you haven't put in enough. That's the important part. How much more over and above "enough" is up to you. Soap is cheap and plentiful (most members here have more soaps than they will ever use) so go hard and enjoy!

I've noticed that when lathering the soap there tends to be a spot where the lather looks dryish, but has high slickness and slide, but not far after that there is a point where volume increases quite a bit, but there is less slickness. What am I looking for in terms of the 'look and feel' of the soap once lathered?

I've noticed that when lathering the soap there tends to be a spot where the lather looks dryish, but has high slickness and slide, but not far after that there is a point where volume increases quite a bit, but there is less slickness. What am I looking for in terms of the 'look and feel' of the soap once lathered?

Shamelessly reposts @Mark1966 photo.

Fi6SJ99l.jpg

Silky yoghurt texture. As @Gargravarr suggested its like mixing mayonnaise just keep adding a small amount of water and mixing until just right.

Personally I prefer to load heavy and then face lather. I think it was a @Pbgoose recommendation to paint on thick and then add water until translucent.
If too wet you can recover by smooshing a bit to suck up the moisture or load a bit more soap and then go back to painting it on.

Last edited:

We would probably describe it all a little differently. For me, it reminds me of making meringues. You just know the point where it is glossy and firm and just right ....

Not very helpful I know!

That's my philosophy as well. But maybe that's because I prefer to eat meringue than yogurt :LOL:

Agreed I don't eat meringue and find stiff whisked peaks to be dry and airy whereas a yoghurt sheen is slick and wet and prefer all that effort working it up to be on my face cleansing, scrubbing, exfoliating and lubricating as it goes.

... stiff whisked peaks to be dry and airy whereas a yoghurt sheen is slick and wet ....

Oh no!

Here, you clearly need this -

Ingredients
4 free-range egg whites
A pinch of salt
250g caster sugar

Method
Step 1
Preheat the oven to 120C.

Step 2
Place the egg whites and salt in a clean, dry bowl and whisk (beat with electric beater) until soft peaks form.

Step 3
Add the caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until a glossy, stiff mixture forms. <- THIS is the lather equivalent

Step 4
Line a baking tray with baking paper and spoon out 8 – 10 meringues. Bake for 1 ¼ hours

Step 5
Remove from the oven and let cool

(Recipe from Bill Granger Bills Food)

You are welcome ;)

Thanks for the recipe @Mark1966
Should it look like this before going in the oven?
YB7zW3F.jpg

Wait on that's not a meringue :)
j77RL7R.jpg

Nice, although seeing that brush is like a stake through the heart !

IMG-20220510-181036.jpg

Finally got a lather out of the badger. Body Shop Maca root and aloe creme. Started with a dry brush this time, and just added a tiny bit of water at a time, so I wonder if the brush was too wet the past few times? But badger is normally soaked before use? (and then pressed out by hand and 'dried' by flicking to remove excess moisture?) Felt like it took a while, but it was probably only 5 mins or so.