Lather Shots

#makelathernotwar

Platypig and HeT Cognac and Cuban Cigars

KrNFvDwl.jpg

@Tony Forsyth P&C Charity Auction Custom Gold/Pearl Manchurian 2 Band Finest 24mm Shaving Brush and Wholly Kaw / Pasteur Pharmacy Timmermann shaving soap

hkvsSyLl.jpg

Lathermeisters seeking your expert advice
I am very happy with my usual face lathering technique but still to master bowl lathering.
Apologies for the shot I was going for SOTD pic not lather shots. This is what was left after 2 passes.
The lather was well lubricated and performed well but I was trying to achieve a thicker more greek yoghurt consistency
Whipped for nearly 5 minutes and created volumes of thin slick airy lather in the bowl that performed well once painted on and all the air knocked out of it
  • What is the trick?
  • Am I adding too much water?
  • Whipping too much?
  • Do I need to keep it thick and drier from the start?
L9aV4dv.jpg

I can't see it really @Holiday - but all of the above would be good advice...start dry and don't whip too hard at first, slowly add water...more towards the end. If it is too airy, scrape the brush at the edge of the bowl back into the bowl and mix it in again...good luck

Thinking again (though loading more product is still a thing), I'd say don't worry about building up a yoghourty consistency or standing a fork in your lather, just focus on getting the slickness you need. You can have 2 inches of stuff on your face , but what's doing the real work is that fraction of a millimetre that's in contact with your skin. The rest just goes down the plughole. :unsure:

Thanks @Gargravarr and @alfredus for responses so far. I am happy with slickness and performance and reading other threads many shavers, especially straight razor, prefer a thin well hydrated lather. I have no doubt if I could achieve the thicker greek yoghurt consistency in the bowl it would be well hydrated once applied to the face. I am just frustrated that I have not achieved this yet. Like runny scrambled eggs, still taste like eggs but does not have the consistency or texture to fully appreciate.

I think I am whipping too much air into the lather and creating a mousse instead of yoghurt and TBH most videos online have the same results.
I'd like to achieve a shaving cream consistency in the bowl without lather explosion and lather on the face where the painting strokes seem to break down micro bubbles ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯