Lupo Stainless Steel 95 v 72

StratMan

After scouring countless topics on both the 95 and 72 Lupo's i was no closer to knowing which to order. There are so many topics on either Lupo but nothing i could find that compared these two directly.

The aim of this thread is to give an unbiased comparison between both base plates, and then compare against razors i own to help anyone else out there that is looking to hopefully find that answer.

I ordered both from vshod and delivery was very quick especially considering we were in lock down at the time of ordering.

51342934213_e02dfc624c_c.jpg

The build quality is what you would expect from RazoRock. Its not a Wolfman finish, but at a quarter of the price, you wouldn't expect it to be. The Lupo had the same quality and feel of my Game Changer JAWS, i was very happy with the look and feel.

I absolutely love the thin head on this razor making it the most nimble razor I own. The head makes is so easy to move around the face, especially under the lip. The bulldog handle is excellent and felt nicely balanced. I also tried the Timeless SS Barberpole handle along with the Wolfman SS Solid WRH2 handle. All felt excellent but the WRH2 handle was the standout winner, simply amazing and perfectly weighted and for me an improvement over the original. Look forward to shaving with the WRH2 handle.

Loaded the Lupo with a fresh Gillette Minora, which I class as both very sharp and smooth blade.

Before i describe the shave, i should point out i have a very strong beard with 'normal' skin sensitivity.

The razor was extremely smooth and throughout the entire shave felt totally comfortable, at no point did I feel that i was going to cut myself. I would rate the efficiency around that of the Rocca, possibly a little more, less than the WR2 1.25 and on par with the Timeless 95 SB. The smoothness was an improvement over the Timeless, and on par with the WR2 and maybe a touch smoother than the Rocca, but will do a side by side on day to be sure. Three passes resulted in an easy and very comfortable BBS, no irritation or weepers at all.

Thoroughly enjoyed the shave with the 95 plate and feel it could easily become a daily driver for me, time will tell.

I look forward to tomorrow using with the 72 plate in tomorrows shave to see how they compare.

Razor: Lupo 95
Blade: Gillette Minora
Brush: Omega 11137
Soap: Tabac
Splash: Tabac Cologne

51344532978_554cbc6365_b.jpg

Excellent! It's so good to hear you enjoyed it and have a good point of reference and can now compare the .95 to the .72 razor. I don't know if its the magic of photography but I always feel like my razorock razors seem to be less polished and as shiny as everyone else.
It's hard to beat a Wolfman handle in comparison. I may have to buy a nice third party handle some day.

@Rusty Bridges

Yes enjoyed it quite a lot, kept thinking to myself that it felt like a mild razor, close to the DE89 but it was quite efficient which is where my smooth comment comes n.. first pass was WTG, sorta felt like there wasn’t a blade in it.. but it’s the ATG pass yo me, still was reasonably smooth but no weepers do a bug tick there..

really looking forward to the 72.. what are your thoughts on it?

That's really encouraging to hear. You're going to have me knocking on VSHOD's door soon. lol
From the sounds of it the razor could be right up my alley.

I haven't used it. I have been on a depression/bitterness and financial sabbatical for over a year but have been spending a little now that things have started to settle down a bit here and I am getting my bearings again. I am definitely keen to hear what you think of it.

Yeah wait till I’m a few shaves in. I want to try the razors with different soaps too.

up until the other day I found the WR2 1.25 smooth but very efficient in the way that if I wasn’t careful it could bite and if my lather wasn’t right or the blade sharp enough would leave me slightly tender.

But the other day the shave with the WR2 was amazing, smooth and no issues. Only thing I did different was used tabac and steeper angle so could well be the soap.

Razor: Lupo 72
Blade: Gillette Minora (2)
Brush: Matilda 2-band silvertip badger
Splash: Tabac Splash

51346206612_86692f647d_b.jpg

we’ll that was different, a Jekyll and Hyde experience

Didn’t bother with a WTG pass as there as I could not any hair in that direction. XTG was ok, no issues but not quite the smoothness of the lupo 95.

ATG on the burns wasn’t comfortable but nothing overly bad. ATG on the chin is where the problems began and was quite uncomfortable. ATG on the lip area was borderline unbearable. Finished with one more ATG on the burns and a second XTG on the chin/lips.

Overall a terrible shave… so where lies the problem?

Blade? Doubt it very much as this blade was only used once yesterday. I will use the same Minora blade tomorrow in the 95 to rule this out.

Blade type? Maybe the Minora is not suited to this gap? Doubt it but will try the 72 with the ever reliable polsilver next shave.

My face? Don’t think so, as the face was feeling nice from yesterdays super smooth shave. Tomorrows shave with the 95, same blade same face will eliminate the blade having issues after only one shave.

Lather? Dont think so, but this is a possibility, I loaded the brush heavily to ensure enough lather (lather hog brush), but the lather did seem nice and hydrated to me. Will use a fail safe synthetic on the next outing with the 72.

I have read on various forums of users who usually enjoy a ‘milder’ razor that felt the 72 was not smooth at all and got a much better/smoother shave with the Lupo 95. I think this is the issue but am determined to give it a go as I really want to have a milder razor in the Den.

Didn’t bother with a WTG pass as there as I could not any hair in that direction. XTG was ok, no issues but not quite the smoothness of the lupo 95.

ATG on the burns wasn’t comfortable but nothing overly bad. ATG on the chin is where the problems began and was quite uncomfortable. ATG on the lip area was borderline unbearable. Finished with one more ATG on the burns and a second XTG on the chin/lips.

Blade? Doubt it very much as this blade was only used once yesterday. I will use the same Minora blade tomorrow in the 95 to rule this out.

Blade type? Maybe the Minora is not suited to this gap? Doubt it but will try the 72 with the ever reliable polsilver next shave.

My face? Don’t think so, as the face was feeling nice from yesterdays super smooth shave. Tomorrows shave with the 95, same blade same face will eliminate the blade having issues after only one shave.

Lather? Dont think so, but this is a possibility, I loaded the brush heavily to ensure enough lather (lather hog brush), but the lather did seem nice and hydrated to me. Will use a fail safe synthetic on the next outing with the 72.

I have read on various forums of users who usually enjoy a ‘milder’ razor that felt the 72 was not smooth at all and got a much better/smoother shave with the Lupo 95. I think this is the issue but am determined to give it a go as I really want to have a milder razor in the Den.
I agree that the Lupo 72 is not a smooth razor. I much prefer the Lupo DLC. Great reviews.

Great write up of both plates and your thoughts regarding the 95 remind me of the WR2 .95 but for a fraction of the price. Great to see them stocked locally as buying via Italian Barber/RazoRock is both timely and costly. I think I'll stick with my current set up as too many similar DEs that don't get as much love to warrant a a buy but glad to read you're experience was positive! (y)

That's a shame to hear. I was curious about it but will weigh in when I get to it. I had to pull myself out of the wet shaving world and missed the DLC, it was on my radar but never landed quick enough at VSHOD and by the time it did I missed it, then added my name to the IB list but never heard from them. It wasn't meant to be I guess but that's okay. I am sure something from Razorock eventually come out that will be similar if not better.

Bummer about the .72 but it's early days yet. Solid plan for the next attempt.

Hmm… My experience with the 72 was nowhere near this. Mild yes but I wouldn’t say it was rough. I’ll try again tonight.

Blade: Gillette Minora (3)
Brush: Yaqi Mew Brown 23mm

51348731547_3155e1d1f7_b.jpg

Tabac will be only be used for testing so soap is not a variable factor.

Another enjoyable smooth shave with the Lupo 95. Used the same blade i used in the 72 yesterday so the blade was definitely not the problem. In saying that time for the blade to go, I don't know how others do it but for me, 3-4 shaves per blade and they are out.

Only two passes today, XTG and ATG delivered a comfortable BBS, I have no doubt this can be a daily driver for me.

The smoothness and nimble head make this razor a keeper in my Den, a top 3 razor for me. Best way i can describe this razor for me, is GC JAWS efficiency with CG 84P smoothness.

Next test will be with a feather.

So its removing the stubble. How is the regrowth?

Regrowth is a variable factor depending on how many passes and which blade is used

from the 3 shaves performed with lupo so far I have reshaved around 24hrs later and there is some stubble, but I can’t feel much at all (if anything) when running my hand WTG

regrowth is quicker with the lupo than the WR2 1.25 + feather combo (3 passes) which is one of my most efficient (and comfortable) combos.

And Probably on par (maybe little better) vs my rocca shaves, for me a rocca shave is WTG, xtg and 2 atg

Next shave I will use a feather (3 passes) and then with a polsilver (4 passes) to mimick the WR2 and Rocca shaves and I’ll compare against them.

this is for the lupo 95

Blade: Gillette Minora (3)
Brush: Yaqi Mew Brown 23mm

51348731547_3155e1d1f7_b.jpg

Tabac will be only be used for testing so soap is not a variable factor.

Another enjoyable smooth shave with the Lupo 95. Used the same blade i used in the 72 yesterday so the blade was definitely not the problem. In saying that time for the blade to go, I don't know how others do it but for me, 3-4 shaves per blade and they are out.

Only two passes today, XTG and ATG delivered a comfortable BBS, I have no doubt this can be a daily driver for me.

The smoothness and nimble head make this razor a keeper in my Den, a top 3 razor for me. Best way i can describe this razor for me, is GC JAWS efficiency with CG 84P smoothness.

Next test will be with a feather.

Knew you would like Lupo .95 (y).

Now to get @Razor Burn to add one to his collection.:D