Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
From the US via Glen and his son - my aluminium #58. I just need a case now!

Maybe I should put Glen's son on a retainer. Would make for an interesting conversation that is different to usual.

Q: 'So what do you do'

A: 'I'm an actor"

Q: 'So what do you do for money to live on'

A: 'I receive vintage razors and ship them on to Australia'

Q: 'Stop being silly, what do you really do'

Q (angrily): 'I said, stop being silly, now tell me the truth - or else'

A: 'OK, OK, I'm a waiter'

Q: 'Finally, a straight (boom tish) answer'

What a way to start the month (unless Drubs mods of course!)

From the US via Glen and his son - my aluminium #58. I just need a case now!

Maybe I should put Glen's son on a retainer. Would make for an interesting conversation that is different to usual.

Q: 'So what do you do'

A: 'I'm an actor"

Q: 'So what do you do for money to live on'

Q: 'Stop being silly, what do you really do'

Q (angrily): 'I said, stop being silly, now tell me the truth - or else'

A: 'OK, OK, I'm a waiter'

Q: 'Finally, a straight (boom tish) answer'

What a way to start the month (unless Drubs mods of course!)

Nah he actually had the good fortune to wed a lass from Newcastle NSW (following in his fathers footsteps who married one from Newcastle England) who has turned out to be one of the leading oncology radiologists around the place. She spends more time in foreign lands than St Louis and keeps all her frequent flyer points - so the turd emails now and agin how he is just off to Switzerland or Spain etc for a week or two (bastard).

As long as he keeps posting the parcels I will forgive him.

Q: 'So what do you do for money so you can send razors to your dad and all his scaley Australian mates?'

A: 'I'm a waiter trying to be an actor. I've just had to take a role as a drag queen. Oh well, things can only get better.'

Fixed that one for you.

Last edited:
.............. he is just off to.....Spain etc for a week or two (bastard).

As long as he keeps posting the parcels I will forgive him.

I'll forgive him too if he picks up a few sticks of La Toja while he's there and adds it to the monthly "Dear Daddy" package he sends you. You've still got my address haven't you?

I'll forgive him too if he picks up a few sticks of La Toja while he's there and adds it to the monthly "Dear Daddy" package he sends you. You've still got my address haven't you?

You know I had never thought about subtly suggesting he troll the markets and second hand shops (as well of course as the La Troja shop). Might have to suggest it on his next excursions. He is really going to learn to love you guys!!!

My 'prototype' Knack arrived yesterday.

I will get pics up on the weekend but it is an interesting bit of history. Comes in its original shipping box, with a letter from the market research company.

It was very cheap for what it is IMHO!

Nobody ever talks about them. I think they get scorned because of the plastic handle.

Yes, plastic, scorned by the hard-liners!

Yes, plastic, scorned by the hard-liners!

And subsequently not talked about at all or decribed as a second rate TTO. This happens in SE land too. It's true that they're invariably lighter than their metal handled counterparts but in a lot of cases the heads are identical. Let alone the all plastic/bakelite razors. My favourte DE is bakelite.

And subsequently not talked about at all or decribed as a second rate TTO. This happens in SE land too. It's true that they're invariably lighter than their metal handled counterparts but in a lot of cases the heads are identical. Let alone the all plastic/bakelite razors. My favourte DE is bakelite.

Well given the choice between rhodium plating and plastic......

Bakelite makes a great case material!

This is true but plastic/bakelite also allows for different bigger dimension head designs which in metal would result in really heavy razors. My 7 O'Clock bakelite for instance has a solid bar which is twice as thick as any on an equivalent metal razor and I think is the reason it shaves so well. Of course I'm speaking purely from a user point of view. It, of course, looks like a cheap toy and I myself am quilty of shoving it to the back of the drawer but it always successfully emerges.

British NEW with box shown here.

Paid a little more than I was hoping - I foolishly put a bid on when it was pointed out to me rather than just sniping.

Might have to pay a finders fee too!

Man, you've just blown my posting. It'll be arriving sometime in March. Yeah I think I did OK. The seller didn't really know. I was that keen I even downloaded a snipe program which was free for ten days. Managed to outsnipe a sniper so that was OK. I'm hoping I like it more than the other, later 1912 models. Yeah, it is the wrong case which I'm sure threw many a potential bidder off course.

It's pretty amazing to think that the humble Damaskeene ceased production in 1920. In DE terms it's basically the equivalent of the Double Ring. All this for $12 or in pablos case $27. I bet he's got a really nice case with his though.

Pjotr,
I use a snipe program called JBidwatcher which is operating system independent and free always.

I don't know how easy it is to use in comparison to the one you have, but it works fine for me.

Did somebody say SE Double Ring?

I suppose I'll know for next time :cheesy:

I use Gixen for my sniping. No being local means that I can have my computer off and it all happens 'in the cloud' I got caught once with a local sniping program. Missed a Double Ring while traveling to work :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.