March 2012 Arrivals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well that is nothing!

Had an interesting experience last night. Did my nightly peruse of the watch list to set snipes for the next day and noticed an auction finishing in a couple of minutes with no snipe set - EEEK!

So I logged onto Gixen and set the snipe - to get the message that it was too close to the finish of the auction and it could not be bet - EEEK, EEEK!

Quickly logged onto eBay again and rushed to the auction with about 20 seconds left by now. Finger tapping madly I put in a bid for $87.87 - I like illiterate - hit the button to bid then again to confirm.

Phew - the page tells me I'm the winning bidder with only seconds to go - hey, what, I didn't mean to do that....

'Your maximum bid: $8,787.00'

Holy-moly Batman - those madly tapping fingers have cause a huge problem, this was not what I meant to happen :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

Proving the point that the final price is set by the runner up I won the auction - for $107. More than I was hoping to pay but it could have been worse.....

There is a moral to this story, just not sure what it is yet

EDIT: Here it is BTW - the $8,787 razor!

Although I still don't know whether it is mine - it was an auction that only shipped to the US I noticed afterwards too and I hadn't asked about shipping to Australia - the seller is thinking about it!

Last edited:
Can't give us a story like that without a link to the item Mark....

Well that is nothing!

Although I still don't know whether it is mine - it was an auction that only shipped to the US I noticed afterwards too and I hadn't asked about shipping to Australia - the seller is thinking about it!

Remember the "Thomas Mail Forwarding Facility" is at your service.

I'll say.

Any reason why a Star 1912 is important? Not trying to start a serious collection are you?

Was hoping it was actually a Lather Catcher (didnt really notice the word "Type" in the description).

Never mind it looks quite nice and not exactly a fortune.

It's just a GEM/Ever Ready 1912 with a different name. You must have at least half a dozen of them by now. Time to bone up on a bit of research!

You mean actually know what I am doing. Seems like that would spoil all the fun! I have said it before but I onkly have 2 more bulk buys to try for this month and then take a break. (Maybe start on brushes) :)

You mean actually know what I am doing. Seems like that would spoil all the fun! I have said it before but I onkly have 2 more bulk buys to try for this month and then take a break. (Maybe start on brushes) :)

WHAT, I'm going to have competition on brushes now too?

This is a big challenge, not sure how I will cope - butterscotch wars start now!

Half a stick of Arko from Mark. Thanks Mark! Don't mind the scent. Just an honest citrusy job. The lather's pretty good too. Used it once on my 1912 mission which lead to the inevitable face rape but that's not due to Arko.

Half a stick of Arko from Mark. Thanks Mark! Don't mind the scent. Just an honest citrusy job. The lather's pretty good too. Used it once on my 1912 mission which lead to the inevitable face rape but that's not due to Arko.

probably more correctly 1/4 to 1/3 of a stick. Don't worry though this is a 'magic pudding' soap like Tabac - it will last for ages!

Scent is not the best but every time I think I might chuck it out I use it - and decide it is too good to waste!

Enjoy

probably more correctly 1/4 to 1/3 of a stick. Don't worry though this is a 'magic pudding' soap like Tabac - it will last for ages!

Scent is not the best but every time I think I might chuck it out I use it - and decide it is too good to waste!

Enjoy

Nothin' wrong with this stuff.

The goodies have landed

Well and truly - now I just have to find the time to sort everything out. 14 SEs 7 DEs a funny little Valet Autostrop and the Wilkinson Sword wierd and wonderful plus a brush of unkown quality 6 Gillette Blue blades still in their case, a pack of United blades still in packet, 3 Wilkinson sword Hollow ground baldes still wrapped and a couple of Gem Star SE blades. The SEs are a mixture of Gems Stars and Everyreadys. Will try to get the PIF stuff ready for the weekend.

How are getting on with the brass handled brush?

Got most of the hair out, but have got stuck with the last bits around the bottom. I think the white plastic around the bowl is stuck fast. It is in 2 sections so I might just break it out of the bottom and see if I can glue straight to the brass. As my wage assesment has finally come through and I am now earning more than $10.00 a day I may go to Bunnings and get one of those Dremel system things.
Will try to get some inside photos this weekend so I get let you have a look if thats OK.

Got most of the hair out, but have got stuck with the last bits around the bottom. I think the white plastic around the bowl is stuck fast. It is in 2 sections so I might just break it out of the bottom and see if I can glue straight to the brass. As my wage assesment has finally come through and I am now earning more than $10.00 a day I may go to Bunnings and get one of those Dremel system things.
Will try to get some inside photos this weekend so I get let you have a look if thats OK.

I'm not sure what you mean by the white plastic around the bowl. One-o-them dremel system thingos costs a lot of money. I've yet to find any justification for buying a dremel and I can't imagine anything to be harder than the Semoques I've done. I just tape bit of sand paper around a marker pen or anything of a suitable dimension and grind away. As the aperture gets bigger just wind more sandpaper around or use something bigger and off you go. For the bottom, I use a thin carving chisel or glue some sandpaper to the bottom of some doweling of a suitable circumference. It'll cost you a fraction of the cost of a Dremel.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by the white plastic around the bowl. One-o-them dremel system thingos costs a lot of money. I've yet to find any justification for buying a dremel and I can't imagine anything to be harder than the Semoques I've done. I just tape bit of sand paper around a marker pen or anything of a suitable dimension and grind away. As the aperture gets bigger just wind more sandpaper around or use something bigger and off you go. For the bottom, I use a thin carving chisel or glue some sandpaper to the bottom of some doweling of a suitable circumference. It'll cost you a fraction of the cost of a Dremel.

OK will try that. The bowl of this seems to have been lines with a very thin plastic or ceramic like substance. This is stuck to the brass and the plug stuck to it. looking at it at the moment it also appears to narrow down considerably towards the bottom of the bowl, although this may be deceotice as I havent got it cleaned out yet. Will try the sandpaper system on the weekend and see how I go. Thanks for the advice.

OK will try that. The bowl of this seems to have been lines with a very thin plastic or ceramic like substance. This is stuck to the brass and the plug stuck to it. looking at it at the moment it also appears to narrow down considerably towards the bottom of the bowl, although this may be deceotice as I havent got it cleaned out yet. Will try the sandpaper system on the weekend and see how I go. Thanks for the advice.

From your description it appears to have been a knot preset in to a cup which in turn was set in the handle. Yeah, try and get the hair/gunk out of the cup and see what you've got. An old screw driver or chisel work well breaking it all away. For obvious reasons, just don't lever it using the top of the handle.

March arrival: One discontinued, unavailable, rare, old formula NOS tube of Proraso from a secret supplier which I'm not going to divulge to any Perthies. Thought I'd get in there before Drubbing empties the shelves. I frivolously gave away my last tube to a mate but am now convinced it's an amazing cream and much, much better than the crappy new formula. Do I really need to try the new one to know? Of course not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.