Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Gee whiz, it is day two of the month and the Mod hasn't started an acquisitions thread - what is he doing?

So what have you got coming guys?

I think that I have a cased Gillette British Richwood - poor pics so I can't be sure.

My new Nexus 4 phone arrived (it had slipped through the gaps in their trolley on the way to the truck). Well I say arrived, I had to go to the warehouse after hours and collect it as I didn't want to wait until Monday or later.

So far, colour me impressed. It is far, far better than any phone I have had before. Need to work out any foibles it may have (battery seems to have been a problem previously) but at the moment I can't complain.

I've had an android phone for a while, so have quite a few apps loaded (tapatalk included) but any that others here would recommend are welcome.

In this day and age that can mean iphone or android users chipping in as most apps are done for both systems.

Those dirty windows phone users can stay out of this conversation though. Heathens that they are.

RM seems to have disappeared.
Along with Pablo.

If the "Who's Online" page is anything to go by RM has forgotten his password it has been that long since he signed on, says he is modifying his password.

RM seems to have disappeared.

Yes, although it is actually Jugs who is the Mod for this section!

Along with Pablo.

If the "Who's Online" page is anything to go by RM has forgotten his password it has been that long since he signed on, says he is modifying his password.

Not enough SE talk for Pablo?

Maybe we need to flash some blades around for RM to come out?

Hmmm, what DOES happen if he loses interest and doesn't pay the hosting bills :wacko:

EDIT: LOL - first time I tried to post this I got an error, wondered if the last comment was prophetic!

Another non-shaving item (I know I know, where are my priorities!).

The wife was in need of a new laptop to replace her old HP one. I let her try out my near-new Dell Vostro one (forget the exact model, but its a 13.3" screen). She's happy with that, which means I get a new laptop :)
Have ordered a Latitude E6230 (see Dell Latitude E6230 Ultraportable and Lightweight Laptop | Dell Australia ) from the Dell retail outlet website. Highly recommended if you are after a Dell- they sell both refurbished and brand new units (both have 12 months warranty).

How much do you save buying from the outlet shop? Well, the brand new e6230 I'm getting cost me just over $600. Out of interest, I went to the 'normal' Dell website and spec'd a e6230 to be the same as the one I've ordered. Total cost...around $1700 :blink: Granted, the Latitude range are probable slightly overpriced seeing as they are aimed at 'business' users, but its still a hell of a saving.

EDIT: and my 34C arrived today. This week is off to a good start!

Last edited:
About time we have some shaving related purchases here ...

OK, OK, I will oblige ....

On its way to me tomorrow will be this set:

WHAT! I hear you cry.

Why is Mark buying this old rubbish?

Case in poor condition with the leather missing from the top. Lots of wear on the head of the razor. Looks like a load of junk really doesn't it ...

Last edited:
WHAT! I hear you cry.

Why is Mark buying this old rubbish?

Case on poor condition with the leather missing from the top. Lots of wear on the head of the razor. Looks like a load of junk really doesn't it ...

I'm assuming that this is a genuine buy rather than yet another highly collectable piece you found in the bottom of a shoe box you thought you'd have a look at just before throwing it out or something.

Given the suspense you're building up it's obviously an obscure one of a kind model or the case is different or was the first produced/sold from a new selling/manufacturing headquarter/factory.

First of all the ring looks weird. Unless it's a bad picture, it looks more like a compressed double ring rather than a staight single ring.

Was it the first run of models out of the times square headquarter? I remember you getting excited about a similar case which came from the first year of Gillettes offices in London or something.

Home now, so you can have the rest of the story ....

I was contacted today by the guy who sold me my Aristocrat DeLuxe saying he had picked up another razor and would I be interested.

'Send me some pics' I replied and received the attached.

I knew that the case was pretty special. A slide clasp case with gold imprints rather than the usual silver and different designs on the blade banks. The imprint on the bottom also doesn't have the usual $5.00 price.

The condition of the case and razor wasn't fantastic and the serial number on the razor was a G series (G306068), which would place it in 1918 in the normal course of events. So I thought it was a mis-matched set.

Anyway we negotiated a price and I picked it up.

A little further research led me to this thread YKW.

It seems that the G prefix was for special orders and should be ignored. This leaves the serial number as 306068 - a 1905 date. The serial number on the barrel and the lack of a Gillette logo on the underside of the head confirm that it is legit set.

So it seems that a 1905 quadruple gold-plated single ring is coming my way. While the Double Rings were advertised as available in gold-plating none have ever been seen. In fact from my (albeit limited) research this afternoon the razor in the thread above is the earliest known quadruple gold-plated single ring. Sorry, let me correct that, the razor in the thread above WAS the earliest known quadruple gold-plated single ring.

The upshot of all this is that in another world first Paste & Cut has the first pictures of the earliest example of a quadruple gold-plated single ring.

This is CLEARLY the shaving forum to frequent!

Please keep this to yourselves until it arrives - I just had to share it with you blokes.

Yes, although it is actually Jugs who is the Mod for this section!

Jugs displays no moderation in the acquisition sector. Perhaps that is why he hasn't been around, in the doghouse with her good self!

Congrats on the pickup Mark. Looks like you have found a white whale!

Jugs displays no moderation in the acquisition sector. Perhaps that is why he hasn't been around, in the doghouse with her good self!.........

No, he's actually been really busy changing careers. Instead of contacting him to ask boring questions about mobile phones you can now ask boring questions about real estate.

Last edited:
Congrats on the pickup Mark. Looks like you have found a white whale!

A quadruple gold-plated Double Ring would be the white whale. This is just very, very nice :D

Thanks for the comments guys

A quadruple gold-plated Double Ring would be the white whale. This is just very, very nice :D

Thanks for the comments guys

Where does the term quadruple plated come from? Has it really been plated four times? If it was, surely it would show on a lot of details such as the knurling on the handle and on the inside corners of the comb etc. It all looks pretty normal to me.

Where does the term quadruple plated come from? Has it really been plated four times? If it was, surely it would show on a lot of details such as the knurling on the handle and on the inside corners of the comb etc. It all looks pretty normal to me.

According to the adverts of the day:

C%201905%20Double%20Ring.jpg

The silver plated ones were 'triple' plated and the gold ones 'quadruple' plated. Has it really been plated four times? We will never know. Plating may have been thinner then.

Seems like that will be worth a pretty penny, Mark. Nice pickup!

I have two things on the way from the Isle of Man...

Seems like that will be worth a pretty penny, Mark. Nice pickup!

Thanks - the condition will limit value but still nice to have

I have two things on the way from the Isle of Man...

Hmmm, nice. Would you like a vintage Somerset Chubby 3 as well!

I think we can all see why you are trying so hard to promote the simmo sale Mark.

I'll give you $50 for it and promise I won't wise mrs mark up to the quadruple ring double plated whatsit you bought :D

Status
Not open for further replies.