May 2017 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
fsdwMXB.jpg

Bit of a large mail call here!

Stickers arrived for a couple of restoration projects I am working on. Love the old-school hand written receipt from the Isle of Mann too :)
I'm still waiting for a package from the isle of mann. How long was delivery on those, out of curiousity?

ta3n9MH.jpg

First part of a Rhapsody order from TSW (2 soaps on the way). I may as well let the cat out of the bag now my supplies are secure....Will confirmed with me on another forum that Rhapsody is being retired after this year, for those that enjoy this fragrance as much as I do, now would be a good time to secure supplies. @shavetheman at The Stray Whisker has stocks ;)

** Edit: Will will be making an announcement later this month in relation to Rhapsody and it being retired.
What me worry.
I know a top notch osmologist that could replicate it ;)

I just got this in the mail from a extremely kind pif gesture.
What are people's thoughts. I have only lifted the lid for a sniff but.... not sure.

Well, if you two disagree, fire me a PM and we can discuss a trade :)

O4Sp0Oe.jpg

A couple of brushes I picked up recently via FB came in today, very pleased with both.

In the end I paid $110 US for the Paladin and $120US for the Chubby 3 (postage on both was extra) and sent them both via my US mail conduit.

A few thoughts on both based on my initial impressions:

Simpson make excellent brushes in my book, I have a few of them and have never had a bad experience in any way, shape or form with their products.
My next acquisition is a recently made Manchurian 3 Chubby in Butterscotch, I am just waiting for the current American owner to trigger pull on something
else and move on...

So this is my first Paladin, a PK 47 in Select manufactured in December 2016. I acquired a Falstaff in Ivory only yesterday as the available knots, colours
and design of the PK and the Falstaff are the two that appeal to me most. I also want two different models and knots to evaluate and use.

My first impression is that the finish on the Paladin is exceptional.

It's flawlessly polished, turned and the setting of the knot is just spot on and I say that with it standing right next to a Simpson who have been making and turning
brushes for a long, long time. Hand feel, balance and weight is also excellent - very skilled and highly crafted ergonomic and aesthetic design from the Paladin guys.
The 'make or break' or rather the real test will be in the lather/face feel however from what I have read, and those I know who own one or more of these, Paladin
brushes perform as good as they look.

With this level of craftsmanship, I think the very real challenge for the emerging artisan brush makers who want to be recognised and respected will be producing a
product with the level of finish, polish, design and care that the Paladin here evidences. There are a fair few players in the hand-made artisan market now, and this
means that being distinguished, sort after and attracting custom will depend more and more on their producing a level of premium product that matches their deservedly
premium price.

Great purchases - I hope you enjoy them both @todras (y)(y)(y)

Although personally I am very much biased towards Paladins - having said that, I have yet to experience the famous Simpson Manchurians...

Great purchases - I hope you enjoy them both @todras (y)(y)(y)

Although personally I am very much biased towards Paladins - having said that, I have yet to experience the famous Simpson Manchurians...

Thanks mate :)

Seeing yours in your SOTD and Lather Shots posts convinced me. As I often say, you are renowned for being an uber, European 'A' List shaver with all the fancy kit under the sun so I thought I had better give a couple of them a try, I know Nick has a couple too ;)

Aside from the finish, the real edge the Simpsons have is their Manchurian badger source as they have been in the brush game for so long - they are very expensive though, not something I could justify spending $500 on from Simpson so I will pick up a recently made one second hand.

O4Sp0Oe.jpg

A couple of brushes I picked up recently via FB came in today, very pleased with both.

In the end I paid $110 US for the Paladin and $120US for the Chubby 3 (postage on both was extra) and sent them both via my US mail conduit.

Simpson make excellent brushes in my book, I have a few of them and have never had a bad experience in any way, shape or form with their products.
My next acquisition is a recently made Manchurian 3 Chubby in Butterscotch, I am just waiting for the current American owner to trigger pull on something
else and move on...

So this is my first Paladin, a PK 47 in Select manufactured in December 2016. I acquired a Falstaff in Ivory only yesterday as the available knots, colours
and design of the PK and the Falstaff are the two that appeal to me most. I also want two different models and knots to evaluate and use.

It's flawlessly polished, turned and the setting of the knot is just spot on and I say that with it standing right next to a Simpson who have been making and turning
brushes for a long, long time. Hand feel, balance and weight is also excellent - very skilled and highly crafted ergonomic and aesthetic design from the Paladin guys.
The 'make or break' or rather the real test will be in the lather/face feel however from what I have read, and those I know who own one or more of these, Paladin

With this level of craftsmanship, I think the very real challenge for the emerging artisan brush makers who want to be recognised and respected will be producing a
product with the level of finish, polish, design and care that the Paladin here evidences. There are a fair few players in the hand-made artisan market now, and this
means that being distinguished, sort after and attracting custom will depend more and more on their producing a level of premium product that matches their deservedly
premium price.

WOW - you are assembling an amazing collection of brushes - family photo?

O4Sp0Oe.jpg

else and move on...

premium price.
I am particularly biased towards Paladins and have 3 in my den. I had to stop looking when they do releases because I know I will buy more. Congratulations on the acquisition of the 2 lovely brushes!

Let's see if @Draco Noir is right - very impressed with the imperfect finish I must say...
8oq8P3j.jpg
IMG_4925.jpg

The General has finally arrived, is it time for my morning shave yet!?!?!?
Enjoy yours too @alfredus. ;)

0f9d9dbb7b6f2808bf6bdfc1836ed26f.jpg

Looks like there will be a few general reviews in the morning :)

Trust me guys you'll LOVE the General (y);):) and you will never choose another razor or your previous current razors in your den, because the General will give you the most fantastic shave on earth :happy:

Welcome to the General SE club @alfredus, @Benjamin & @Korbz (y);)

Trust me guys you'll LOVE the General (y);):) and you will never choose another razor or your previous current razors in your den, because the General will give you the most fantastic shave on earth :happy:

Welcome to the General SE club @alfredus, @Benjamin & @Korbz (y);)
Based upon @SpeedyPC's comments it sounds like you won't be needing either of your Wolfmans or your BBS-1 @alfredus. I will be happy to come around and collect them from you :LOL:

Based upon @SpeedyPC's comments it sounds like you won't be needing either of your Wolfmans or your BBS-1 @alfredus. I will be happy to come around and collect them from you :LOL:

And I can also get rid of my V1 Stealth Slant, my UFO handle...I will be rich :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.