Morris & Forndran

Unfortunately there are a large number of people who either simply cannot wait or are ordering a brush based on the fact that they can simply cancel on a whim when it is ready.

As much as it is a shame that it has come to this I don't blame Brad at all.

Unfortunately there are a large number of people who either simply cannot wait or are ordering a brush based on the fact that they can simply cancel on a whim when it is ready.

As much as it is a shame that it has come to this I don't blame Brad at all.

To me that is very irresponsible. And irritating.

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad that Brad has adhered to common sense.
Hope it alleviates a LOT of stress and difficulties within his business.

A perfect 10 from M&F...

C1x0-YdUcAAjFpY.jpg

A perfect 10 from M&F...

C1x0-YdUcAAjFpY.jpg

As someone with your experience what are their pros and cons? I understand it's one man opinion but would like to know

Rami, the biggest con is trying to get hold of one. Lee Sabini can be rather elusive to say the least. I'm also not a fan of the re-emergence of hair descriptors such as "Finest," IMO its a little misrepresentative.

The pros are exhausting, but essentially a very consistent hair grade with "goldilocks" attributes and a previously unmatched diversity of handle options...

"Blonde Badger" was/is an excellent hair. It reminds me of Simpson 2 band Super (aka SilverTip), but with possibly more "treatment" to ensure greater consistency (and not as fine in terms of individual fibres). The tips are soft and there is ample backbone. It was (I haven't purchased one in a few years) not unlike Australian Penfolds wines compared to regional French wines - devoid of batch variation, that we commonly experienced in the past with Simpsons for example. The cannons used to form the knots produce beautiful and perfectly formed bulbs (I've never been a huge fan fan). Rather than one particular standout characteristic (such as Rooney Finest backbone or Thater softness) it possess the three attributes I measure brushes by (tip softness, backbone and flow through) that Goldilocks might term as "just right." That said, everyone' preferences vary, my knot nirvana, might not be yours. Further, if you're anything like me, predilections often vary with time.

The range of handle options is wonderful and combinations of materials such as wood and sterling silver re-characterised brushes as works of art rather than purely utilitarian. My very first was natural horn. Lee even produced a handle from fossilised rock for me. The diversity of rod stock caused other manufacturers to take note of its popularity. IMO Simpsons' LE business was born as a result of M&F.

Last edited:
@ben. What do you think if the brad sears collab? I actually grabbed a fan in finest to try out [emoji38]. It's my first fan so will see how it goes I guess. Would like to see the rock!

@ben. What do you think if the brad sears collab? I actually grabbed a fan in finest to try out [emoji38]. It's my first fan so will see how it goes I guess. Would like to see the rock!

Its a great initiative IMO.

I was disappointed when Paladin rose to fame on the shoulders of M&F and then promptly resourced their knots.

The advantages of a fan include: bigger face feel, greater splay, improved flow through, and perhaps better introduction of air resulting in the faster production of lather (of course too much air is not a good thing, but easily compensated with more water, product and brush agitation).

Really the only possible disadvantages of a fan is reduced backbone and possibly reduced water and heat holding capacity, but that can all be circumvented with an increase in density.

The fossilised rock is in the middle...

C1yCOEhUUAAAj1V.jpg

Apparently the material kept braking and a number of attempts were made before any success. At the time, my children were all obsessed with palaeontology, hence the connection.

A perfect 10 from M&F...

C1x0-YdUcAAjFpY.jpg

I was disappointed when Paladin rose to fame on the shoulders of M&F and then promptly resourced their knots.

The advantages of a fan include: bigger face feel, greater splay, improved flow through, and perhaps better introduction of air resulting in the faster production of lather (of course too much air is not a good thing, but easily compensated with more water, product and brush agitation).

Really the only possible disadvantages of a fan is reduced backbone and possibly reduced water and heat holding capacity, but that can all be circumvented with an increase in density.

C1yCOEhUUAAAj1V.jpg

Apparently the material kept braking and a number of attempts were made before any success. At the time, my children were all obsessed with palaeontology, hence the connection.

m0905.gif
I can't speak or breath @ben74 all I can do is
c0411.gif
or
c0414.gif

C1yCOEhUUAAAj1V.jpg

Have you tried any of the new Paladin knots @ben74?

I have 4 - 2 with Lee's knots and 2 new Paladin knots - it would be really hard for me to pick a winner...

Have you tried any of the new Paladin knots @ben74?

I have 4 - 2 with Lee's knots and 2 new Paladin knots - it would be really hard for me to pick a winner...

No, if the knot sourcing had have been in reverse I'd have taken absolutely no issue. I guess for some warped reason (devoid of any empirical evidence) I think Chinese formed knots are inferior to hand tied in the UK knots or at least should be priced accordingly. I know Muhle for example uses machined formed knots, but I think clever marketing was employed to distract consumers with apparently knew concepts and terminology about knots in an effort to overshadow the increased business sense that Chinese formed knots offer. Now before anyone seeks to crucify me, my comments are based on a moral only perspective in terms of attracting custom, as for Ken and Cody's work you can not fault them or their brushes. They look absolutely exceptional. I wish them continued success and their customers much enjoyment of their beautiful brushes.

If this response is out of line, please feel free to delete with my apologies.

First of all @ben74 - very rarely does anything get deleted here. As long as you follow the only rule (don't be a prick) you can pretty much say as you please ;)

As for anything Made in China: I believe, if you want very high standards, Chinese Workmanship is often more expensive, than let's say it's European counterparts. I know this from personal experience and I believe Ken posted somewhere, he has to bribe the workers, in order to obtain the desired quality/uniformity.

However you can get very high (but not quite perfect) standards for a fraction of international brands (the phone I'm using being a great example).

At the end if the day, they produce things to the specifications they are given. It is often the fault if international importers, who choose inferior quality, in order to make even more money...