My First Custom SR - S.K. Collings & Co (aka Proserpine Razor Co)

AT LAST!

Received today from Steve Colling in Proserpine, Australia.

full

full

full

Custom made to my specifications. Blank used was the same as is used by Ralf Aust. Spanish point with pointy toe, 22mm wide blade, just under ⅞. Cost AUD 200 including shipping.

Steve claims it is shave ready. It tree-tops well so I will take it for a shave "as is" tomorrow morning.

It looks elegant. Enjoy!

AT LAST!

Received today from Steve Colling in Proserpine, Australia.

full

full

full

Custom made to my specifications. Blank used was the same as is used by Ralf Aust. Spanish point with pointy toe, 22mm wide blade, just under ⅞. Cost AUD 200 including shipping.

Steve claims it is shave ready. It tree-tops well so I will take it for a shave "as is" tomorrow morning.
Yay, congratulations (y) glad it finally arrived. :)

Looks lovely. Simple and elegant.

For this SR's first shave (as received), I prepared as normal and chose Palmolive regular cream (Italy) to provide the lather.

full

I performed my usual three-pass shave; WTG, XTG + fool's pass and another XTG in the opposite direction. This resulted in my normal DFS+ result.

M y observations about this SR is that it is surprisingly light for its size. Maybe I was just use to my Gold Dollar W59 with the same style of point. Although the balance of this SR is towards the blade, I found its balance well suited to my shaving style.

Steve's shave-ready edge is very good. The shave was close and comfortable without any skin damage or irritation. A little more pressure was needed against the whiskers to cut the when doing the fool's pass. A full pasted balsa strop progression should fix that.

Overall I am delighted with my custom Colling straight razor. I might buy another, ⅝ American (square) point.

Now knowing Steve's quality of workmanship, he will get all my custom SR orders. I would place Steve's quality at about the same as Ralf Aust's in Germany. Steve is also a master at his craft.

Now knowing Steve's quality of workmanship, he will get all my custom SR orders. I would place Steve's quality at about the same as Ralf Aust's in Germany. Steve is also a master at his craft.
High praise indeed :) (y)

I’m surprised you would get another after your recent purchasing experience.
I would because of the quality of his work and having learnt how to deal with his poor customer communication and service. What I have learnt is:
  • Expect to wait a few months before you will get your custom SR.
  • Do not pay in advance.
  • Only pay once the SR is finished and that payment must be through PayPal G&S.
  • If you don't get an active tracking number with 30 days after payment, make a claim for a refund through PayPal.
  • Any communication problems, just email his wife.

I have given up waiting for my razor from Proserpine - not going to bother contacting them. Fortunately, I haven't paid a cent, the deal was done via email and no contract or anything, so I will just walk away and just forget about it.
cheers
I don't blame you. I am now not even thinking about ordering another custom SR from Steve.

I have given up waiting for my razor from Proserpine - not going to bother contacting them. Fortunately, I haven't paid a cent, the deal was done via email and no contract or anything, so I will just walk away and just forget about it.
cheers

Maybe you should use @rbscebu ’s recommendation in reverse… get a Ralf Aust because it’s as good as a Collings!

Ouch. :oops: Losing two customers so publicly is a bit messy.

He's lost me as well, I was all set to order even though I have a dislike of ordering anything through FB but after all the hassles @rbscebu has had, I've changed my mind. It just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

If I were to buy a new modern razor I would buy from one of the Solingen makers (Wacker, Ralph Aust, Boker, Dovo,...). These razors are made by professional grinders who do this for a living and have been trained by other grinders.