1. Thanks to your likes, our facebook page now has 25 likes and our own special URL - We now have a https://www.facebook.com/paste.and.cut. Please remember to invite your friends both to the forums and our page.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING TAPATALK

Members are advised that Tapatalk access to Paste and Cut is now officially deprecated and is targeted for removal from April 30, 2017. Please see the full announcement at the notice thread.
    Dismiss Notice

SYD Next meetup???????

Discussion started by borked, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Snooze

Snooze Member 2017 Sabbatical Fail

In Balmain, The Riverview, The Dry Dock or the London would be my picks. I have emailed them about function rooms - but shouldn't be too busy for lunch on Saturday.
    Parking is a bit tight especially around the Riverview, but rooftop courtyard is nice.
    Lets lock in date and time then can confirm the locale when mrs todras reports back. (y)

todras likes this.
  2. todras

todras est Français pour après-rasage Menth Dealer Artisan Producer

Well, I would like to do Saturday 11th February, anytime between 12pm to 4pm works for me.

The Mrs got back to me, she said the Riverview would be nice for our "shaving meeting" as she put it. Let's just pick a boozer when you get a reply via email and go with it, providing they do food and beverages, and we can secure a seated table I know we can make it work...

Even if it's just us meeting up for a beer, a bite to eat and a chat, I will still bring all my stuff along and we can go from there. Hopefully many others will join us :)

Yeah, I thought it was odd sitting in the smoking area when neither of you smoked but I rolled with it as I'm from Sydney and thought maybe it was 'an Adelaide cultural thing' and as a guest didn't want to offend Steve as the 'senior' member of the group. It was bloody funny when we had the discussion though and the realisation that no-one in the SA meetups smokes ....:LOL:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    filobiblic, nsavage and Snooze like this.
  3. Snooze

Snooze Member 2017 Sabbatical Fail

Agreed @todras...lock it in Saturday 11th February, anytime between 12pm to 4pm (y)(y)(y)

nsavage and todras like this.
  4. todras

Agreed - Ok so we are locked in for that date and time-frame. Moving forward we can navigate any issues and mettle out the details as to the specific venue in the coming days :)

Everyone from NSW (or other states) is more than welcome to join us, we will confirm the venue in the very near future.

filobiblic, nsavage and Snooze like this.
  5. Mark1966

Mark1966 Shavepocalypse 'Prepper' Site Moderator Grand Society 2016 Sabbatical Fail

... those residing in Territories are not welcome I presume? @eggbert and I will choose not to be offended I'm sure.

Hmmm, let me think. Arrive back in OZ from the US on February 10. Chances of getting away to a shaving meet up in Sydney the next day. Buckley's and none :(

Hope you have a good one fellas!

filobiblic, Greenpike and todras like this.
  6. todras

I thought I would specifically exclude the territories.

Thanks Mark, I plan to make this a monthly thing if not more frequently....NSW has languished long enough so I am sure there will be another one where you can grace us with your presence :)

7. eggbert

eggbert is full of Vision Collision Da Menth Heads

Paraphrasing Groucho Marx:

Mark1966 and todras like this.
  8. borked

borked Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat Grand Society Group Buy Associate Da Menth Heads

Whoa, hold up there buddy.
    Who said anything about membership?
    A distinguished guest... perhaps so, yet until you move here... ;)

9. filobiblic

filobiblic Facepeeler Extraordinare State Convenor - NSW Group Buy Caporegime 2017 Sabbatical Fail 2016 Sabbatical Fail 2015 Sabbatical Fail

Been away hither and thither, dillying and dallying.... I didn't know you needed my blessing to make something happen? (See below for further illumination...)

Perfect.

This has been the unarticulated plan but I think making it bloody obvious is helpful.
    When we do big, we make it big and get special guests involved (such as Con). Otherwise, I'm thinking that known-to-each-other members get together. It's nice to make them open to newcomers and advertise but you don't need to.

I've met up with a visiting Melbournite and met with a few regulars since December. It's great in smaller groups.

But you need to know each other to begin with! Hence the larger meets. Since I haven't personally met with either @Snooze or @todras I haven't caught up. But post-next-catch up that may change.

As Baldy says...

This.
    Either a regular gathering with a few members that work or live nearby. Or an irregular get together between mates wanting to share their latest acquisitions. Some want regular and others can't make it regularly but want to meet when they can.

I'm aiming to make the Sat 11 Feb pub grub & chat session -especially since I want to meet both @todras and @Snooze

I think that location of get together is a factor as we all know Sydney traffic is horrendous and most "live local". I'm fairly centrally located and purposefully travel. But I know many can't.

So let's just lay it all out and say there will be 1-2 "big" meets a year that are likely to require travel or effort to get to. Get to these if you want to meet for the first time a greater number of folks.
    But there will also be micro-meets (whether regular or irregular) that happen between fewer members. These may be publicly advertised and open to all (such as the Balmain 11 Feb pub chat) or they may be off-the-books and arranged privately.

Now after this walk of text you're probably all grown a 5 o'clock shadow and be needing to shave once again...!

10. borked

borked Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat Grand Society Group Buy Associate Da Menth Heads

...says "State Convenor - NSW"!

11. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Active Member Grand Society 2017 Sabbatical Fail

I won't be going so I'm out and you guys have a great time and don't get too drunk on the way home ;)

12. i am putting forward that we go to a pub walking distance from central station makes it a bit easier easier to get to and then people can stay for drinks without driving.

Keen edge likes this.
  13. Monsta_AU

Monsta_AU ...can I interest you in some vintage blades? Forum Administrator Grand Society

Admin Post
    I have a place in World Square that does awesome burgers (far better than the ones I saw on Saturday) and is also licensed so there is a small selection of Beers, Wines and other. There are more of a chicken shop but it's pretty good.

I am pretty sure we could get some reciprocal advertising with them also, I do know the guy that owns it pretty well, and I am sure he would look after us on the weekend.

tullfan and SpeedyPC like this.
  14. borked

Worth investigating and far closer for @SpeedyPC too :)

nsavage and SpeedyPC like this.
  15. is it close to a train station @Monsta_AU i know i plan on bringing a fair load of gear.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  16. Monsta_AU

Monsta_AU ...can I interest you in some vintage blades? Forum Administrator Grand Society

Admin Post
    <5min walk from Museum station. Also doable from Town Hall station.

the_shaving_sailor likes this.
  17. sweet as

18. Rami

Rami Member 2017 Sabbatical

Speaking of this mystical meeting. When is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. todras

We have already booked the existing venue for the next meetup and will be posting the details shortly.

If other members want to organise future Sydney meet-ups, can you please advise us in advance so we do not book our preferred venue and any confusion or misunderstanding is avoided.

I do note you will need to personally book the venue you choose, and subsequently advise of the date, time so that everyone knows and that the lines of communication are clear.

I would really like to keep the Sydney meetup's actually occurring, and to avoid the previous situation where there was a lot of discussion, opinions and preferences as to venue, but no action forthcoming, venues booked or meetings actually occurring.

Cheers guys :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    Snooze, Rami, Korbz and 1 other person like this.