Paladin Brushes ...good news

A brier too. You have to choose the second handle in the pull down as the default has been sold.
I think what happens is they are reserved for 5min whilst you check out so whilst the person with said brush is in the check-out, it's not shown as out of stock, but won't let you add it to the cart. My guess as to why they don't show as sold for a while anyway.

I've got the Brier in the cart and I'm at the end of the check-out process. You've got about 3min to say you want it or I will let it go. :)

LOL - forgot all about this release. Oh well ...

!!!!! I had one for you too !!!!!
Assuming you like Brier that is.
You should have been here 10 minutes ago.

Yes, I was out ...

Thanks for thinking of me :)

I was looking over my paladin last night and had a thought, what difference does free loft make. I understand how it's measured but what difference does it make to the brush?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear. Paladin have a loft and free loft measurements which are measured from the handle and glue bump respectively. I am not sure why they have 2?

Just to be clear. Paladin have a loft and free loft measurements which are measured from the handle and glue bump respectively. I am not sure why they have 2?

@Rami clever marketing!

@Rami clever marketing!

That might be it. But to be honest considering how long they last before getting sold out, I am not sure it does anything for them.

Backbone? Splay? Density?

Essentially yes and no. Backbone and splay can be controlled via socket width and depth. The glue bump needs to be taken into consideration when setting a knot, as this will also impact how the brush performs. It's hard to break it down into a single sentence, which is why Ken merely said feels different.

For example, if you have a 24mm knot, with 65mm loft, and 50mm free loft. The width at the top of the glue bump will most likely be 1-3 mm larger than the plug. So you will end up with a 26mm socket width. At that point, the handle isn't really doing anything much (will be controlling outer hairs a little, but nothing for the centre) to contribute to the feel of the brush, as it's all being done by the glue bump. Now you set it 1mm deeper at 16mm, with a 49mm loft, all of a sudden the handle is choking the knot and giving added backbone. This is why at Paladin they have the setup below. They can effectively set a knot in a socket and play with the loft to see how it feels.

Now if you set a knot with too low of a loft, it will have different characteristics, most importantly splay and flow. With splay, if you don't have soft tips, or the hairs are particularly thick (some 2-band), then it can lead to scratch/scritch, as well as throwing lather around the room. This then talks into flow, with the brush not releasing lather, and having to do exaggerated painting motions to release (you'll also see lather at the bottom of the knot around the handle). Density is kind of a separate thing, as that will affect how wide the glue bump spreads above the plug, and in that, is taken into consideration when setting loft for splay and flow.

This is where you pay the extra money to some of the artisans, as they just do their magic finding that 1-2mm loft/width window that will make the brush a pleasure.

15390932_566285873566059_5968479075657637730_n.jpg